Wireless Router Causes Trouble

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

paulderynck

Wireless Router Causes Trouble

Post by paulderynck »

Don and I began our NetPlay testing today. We decided to just do the Barbarossa scenario to start with. I have a wired connection but Don's is wireless. We appear to have proved what Centuur said in another thread - wireless connections are bad for NetPlay!

On two occasions Don received a flashing message (which BTW was hard to see because it was behind the map), but ultimately we learned via the appearance of a second message, that the connection to the NetPlay server had been lost.

IMO this is pretty bad for Matrix's NetPlay server since in this day and age it does not seem reasonable to expect all MWiF patrons to always have access to a wired internet connection. Either the communications protocols have to be made more durable or people need to be advised that they can't NetPlay using wireless.

The second time we were disconnected must have been just after the Russians finished setting up. Don did see me put the German Navy and Air Force on the map, but after that he saw nothing change so that would have been when the connection was lost, although the second flashing message was not seen until later on. We have a game save with matching entry numbers but when we restore from it, it wants us to end the German set-up and yet not a single German unit is on the map, not even the ones Don saw me place. I assume this is because that save was made when the Russians finished setting up, but clearly something in the save file is misleading MWiF.

Here's a screen shot from Don's end of the error message:

Attachments
Screenshot..15.49.10.jpg
Screenshot..15.49.10.jpg (422.56 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Paul
paulderynck

RE: Wireless Router Causes Trouble

Post by paulderynck »

Here is the save file from the Axis PC. Perhaps at least this will help solve why MWiF thinks the Germans have nothing to set up when in fact they have not set up anything.
Attachments
PaulNP..anyGe.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Paul
Timian

Post by Timian »

And here is the save file from the Allied (Soviet) PC . . . Thanks, Don.

Will be getting a LAN Cable to connect my laptop to our wireless router tomorrow AM / Hopefully (for myself and Paul) this problem will be fixed.
Attachments
DonTimia..yUSSR.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

This is exactly what happened with Bommerrang and myself. The only way you can play Netplay is with a cable hook up. At some point I'll find the time to get one...but players need to be aware of this.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I've seen the same problem yesterday too. This needs to get fixed by Matrix IMHO. Yesterday this happened about 4 times when testing Netplay with Bommerrang.
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

The connection is dropped at the Slitherine end of the connection because the player's computer hasn't been "in touch" for a while.

The time delay in sending messages via wireless versus hardwired can be one or two orders of magnitude greater.

When my wife was printing from her computer to our printer, it was taking minutes to print a document. That connection is wireless from computer to router and either wireless or hardwired from the router to the printer. Making the connection from the router to the printer hardwired cut the time to 30 seconds. Note that the computer to the router was still wireless.

I have changed the error messages to provide me with more information about what the program was trying to do when it detected the dropped connection. Previously #141 would be reported from a couple dozen different places in the code. Now there are 10 different error codes to let me know exactly when in the program the problem happened.

Once we have gathered some more information using the new message numbers, I'll see if Slitherine can help fix this problem.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It is not necessarily all wireless is bad, it may be local conditions or certain hardware. FREX previously Bommerrang and I did a lot of NetPlay testing and he was on wireless and we never hit this issue.

Nonetheless today I tested again with Don after he converted his end to a wired connection and we did not have this problem.

Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

The current Barb game I'm playing with another player - we have never had this problem and he's also on wireless.
Let me say though that I have huge data capacity and my router is a new 5g type. I can download a 80mg file in 5 seconds through my wireless.

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

It is not necessarily all wireless is bad, it may be local conditions or certain hardware. FREX previously Bommerrang and I did a lot of NetPlay testing and he was on wireless and we never hit this issue.

Nonetheless today I tested again with Don after he converted his end to a wired connection and we did not have this problem.

gw15

Post by gw15 »

Correction - my opponent is direct wired not wireless.

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”