Sprint/Spartan missile data

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Demetrious

Sprint/Spartan missile data

Post by Demetrious »

I was fooling around trying to make a late 70s nuclear war scenario when I noticed that the Sprint missile (of the Safeguard SAM facility,) seems to be under-performing. The "target speed" field is "0-1150 kt" which is problematic for a weapon designed specifically to engage RVs in terminal phase. Climb rate is 500 meters/second, whereas the Sprint missile was a bit more zippy (Wikipedia gives the weapon's speed as 3,404 meters per second) and the maximum speed as 2300 knots (where it should be around 6,600 knots.) Incidentally these numbers are identical to the LIM-49 Spartan, which was a rather different missile in its capabilities (a Nike Zeus beefed up for terminal ABM intercept.)

If someone could update the database entry for the Sprint I'd love you forever; I really want to try the recent ABM updates in conjunction with a nuclear interceptor warhead! [:)]

EDIT: Consider tweaking the max target altitude too; (according to Wikipedia) the Sprint tops out around 100,000 feet altitude and the Spartan can engage up to a whopping 560km altitude (hence the dual-layer nature of the Safeguard system.) I'd hunt down better sources but the devs probably have better sources to hand than anything I could turn up on Google.
.Sirius

RE: Sprint/Spartan missile data

Post by .Sirius »

ORIGINAL: Demetrious

I was fooling around trying to make a late 70s nuclear war scenario when I noticed that the Sprint missile (of the Safeguard SAM facility,) seems to be under-performing. The "target speed" field is "0-1150 kt" which is problematic for a weapon designed specifically to engage RVs in terminal phase. Climb rate is 500 meters/second, whereas the Sprint missile was a bit more zippy (Wikipedia gives the weapon's speed as 3,404 meters per second) and the maximum speed as 2300 knots (where it should be around 6,600 knots.) Incidentally these numbers are identical to the LIM-49 Spartan, which was a rather different missile in its capabilities (a Nike Zeus beefed up for terminal ABM intercept.)

If someone could update the database entry for the Sprint I'd love you forever; I really want to try the recent ABM updates in conjunction with a nuclear interceptor warhead! [:)]

EDIT: Consider tweaking the max target altitude too; (according to Wikipedia) the Sprint tops out around 100,000 feet altitude and the Spartan can engage up to a whopping 560km altitude (hence the dual-layer nature of the Safeguard system.) I'd hunt down better sources but the devs probably have better sources to hand than anything I could turn up on Google.
All noted thanks :)
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law

Return to “Tech Support”