naval air combat rule question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

michaelbaldur

naval air combat rule question

Post by michaelbaldur »

just had a situation where it was not to my advance to send up my carrier planes.

but the game forces you to deploy them.

was it just a house rule we had, that you dont have to deploy them if you don´t want to.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
michaelbaldur

RE: naval air combat rule question

Post by michaelbaldur »

its a little unclear, under naval combat 11.5.9 it just say that you decide fighter/bomber status. but not clear about if you can decide not to take off at all

under 14.4 the rules clearly say, you can fly naval air combat
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

its a little unclear, under naval combat 11.5.9 it just say that you decide fighter/bomber status. but not clear about if you can decide not to take off at all

under 14.4 the rules clearly say, you can fly naval air combat

Here is RAW on 11.5.2:

If a combat occurs, each of your committed units is included if your
modified search die roll was less than or equal to the modified search
number of the section it is in.

Notice "each"

This means that every unit which is found is automatically included in that combat. Only the choice of the naval combat (submarine, naval air or surface) can exclude some of those units. You can not choose to have any unit (air, surface or submarine) to be excluded in the combat, if it is found and is participating in the naval combat choice. So the carrier planes fly in naval air combat, since the carrier is found including it's planes...

The rule section you are referring to, only allows you to choose whether or not your aircraft are flying as bombers or fighters...
Peter
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Besides it would come somehow iffy that a carrier prefers to keep its air squadron on the deck / hangars than have them fight. No matter how much outmatched they're in general.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes the rule is they must all fly and conduct at least one round of combat before aborting air-to-air combat.

There's still a useful trick - if facing huge quantities of AA, fly them all as fighters.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”