Love it

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
Kipper

Love it

Post by Kipper »

A real keeper and will be enjoying it for years.

Races are as tactically rich as any tactical firefight game. The amount of variables in a race is head spinning. And there is nothing like the satisfaction of spending a full lap manoeuvring your main rival into the wreckage of a previous crash ... I can sense a huge amount going on under the hood - some of the opponents are downright nasty!

Have not scratched surface of campaign yet but love what I am seeing.

Why this wasn't made years ago I don't know!

Thanks a million!

Wants? Replay would be great. You all really need to see the race I won last night! Would make a great YT video which is the way games are increasingly marketed these days, which is why this capability is becoming so important.

But I digress and now I get back on message: I love it. Developers have a keen sense of that elusive quality of what makes a game spine tingling fun.
tgb

RE: Love it

Post by tgb »

I'm enjoying it and thinking about it more than I anticipated. As I posted in another thread, the demo does not do s good job of representing the game at all.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Fixed that for you. [:'(]
ORIGINAL: Kipper

A real kipper and will be enjoying it for years...
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
tgb

Post by tgb »

In my last race my auriga was well in the lead when his chariot fell apart at the start of the third lap. He hung on to the reins and still would have won if he hadn't died just short of the finish line.

god, this is addictive.
Niessuh

Post by Niessuh »

Thank you! It's very comforting to have this feedback after a year of hard work.
Daniel López
Creator of Qvadriga and Mare Nostrvm
Hardradi

Post by Hardradi »

Great game, lost a whole day yesterday playing. First campaign my whole team was wiped out, second game I ran out of money.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

For "casual" game there has been nothing casual in my addiction to it.... Great game
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Sorry for bumping but I needed to record that after playing the hell out of this for the last few days I love it even more. Folks, I think a very talented game design team has just been found, which makes happier than any single game.
oldbaldgamer

Post by oldbaldgamer »

I have tried starting new campaigns in different areas with different teams and love the variety of situations....new starting cities aren't as hard or as easy as others, great differences at times...very nice game!
malthaussen

Post by malthaussen »

In my first race, I blew out the chariot by accelerating too early out of the home turn, but the auriga held on and slid across the finish line first. He was only slightly damaged, but I don't think he'll be siring any children...

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Hah good one Mal.

Last night I found my faction leader and highest renown Auriga have an accident. I moved into position to get him under my hooves and he escaped by \this/ much. Argh!

Game is full of brilliant moments. Pulls you right into its world. I was even daydreaming about it on a business trip earlier in the week and I can't remember the last time I did that with a game. So grateful to the devs.
Zap

Post by Zap »

+1
This is a fantastic game. I have to say that all indie developers could take a lesson from the creator of this game. A great idea, beautifully put together, tactics involved (on a high level), tense and at the same time fun. The maker of this game had a moment of genius putting this together. I have never, till now, been able to praise a game with such enthusiasm. This is one of those rare occasions where everything merged together in a game where I'm completely in love. @ Kipper (if) and when there is a possibity to have multiplayer option I'd love to play this hot seat.
Marder

Post by Marder »

This is the first time since looong ago i find myself shouting and laughing alone infront of my computer.

"ahahahahaa" - "wow!" - "what?!" "noooooooo!!" - "sh-ITT" .-)
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

I have to say I can't remember being so impressed by the design of the game. Elegant, simple, deep, no unnecessary chrome, every player decision being critical, just enough information at any time to make decisions but not so much as to make it too deterministic, a nice balance of player skill/experience and fortune, replayability, variety of experience, tension, atmosphere, great in-race UI, nice art and immersive and unintrusive sound, an ever-involving game world to get sucked into and a finger firmly on the pulse of the ineffable, rare and hard to catch *fun factor*.

So @Turnopia: so where have you been hiding all these years?

@Slitherine/Iain: you are onto a good thing with this designer. Cosset him, harangue him, support him, advise him, nag him: he is very talented. Kudos to the team got the whole product out the door too.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Game of the year so far for me.
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

Game of the year so far for me.

Quite agree. I haven't had so much fun with a game for quite a while. Just finished my first campaign lasted 91 races.

jacknastyface

Post by jacknastyface »

You know what else I like? I like the fact that I can run this on my business laptop that doesn't have a massive 3D card and boatloads of memory. This just proves that the hallmark of a great game is things like narrative, challenge, victory, defeat, and emotional engagement, and NOT cool 3D graphics or fractal explosions, etc.
Temple

Post by Temple »

Here's another thing I like about the game... it's unpredictability. The image below is from Constantinople, about three-quarters through the first lap. All but the lead chariot are bunched up, but that first place quadriga has a decent lead. And take a good look at the tracks of that lead chariot. He stayed on the inside lane, what I like to refer to as "lane one", counting lanes from inside to outside. And he was there all the way from the start of the race. I've done dozens of races on these big tracks, and I don't remember hardly a handful where someone stuck to that inside lane the whole way and made it work so successfully. Very cool.

Temple

Post by Temple »

Sadly, things did not work out for our early leader who ran on the inside lane. On the next corner he again ran inside but slid out one lane, while the second place auriga caught up:

Then, as you can see at the far right of the image below, the second place auriga started to lacerate the first place guy, who died, leaving a red splotch... and a lesson: Sic transit gloria mundi
nats

Post by nats »

Yes I think its a great game, I really liked the original Circus Maximus boardgame and this is a faithful recreation of that.
"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"

Return to “QVADRIGA”