Focke-Wulf DB Mod - Release

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and modding.
Turner

Focke-Wulf DB Mod - Release

Post by Turner »

Bombing the Reich - Focke-Wulf Mod v0.9

Overview
This mod aims to revive the Luftwaffe to a what-if scenario, giving the Axis player more options in terms of strategy
and resource/industry management. The original 1943 Campaign in Bombing the Reich provide for a historical simulation
to the point that the Axis player is tied to the historical industrial development, meaning that the damage dealt to
the German industry is hard coded into the game no matter how poorly the Allied player perform.

The goal of this mod is to disregard the history books and instead of re-living history we aim to re-write it, as it
could have been had not a few pivotal mistakes in industrial planning not been made. More specifically, what would
have happened if the Ta152/FW190D programme been given priority by the RLM from October 1943 onwards? As requested by
Focke-Wulf first in oct-43 then again in dec that year. Historically both requests were denied which puzzled staff
at Focke-Wulf as it was RLMs Technische Amt that had initiated the programme and its design goals.

Ta152 development priority would have meant earlier availability dates but more importantly, the Ta152A type would
have been fielded early in 1944. Now, game balance is a great concern to me and I suppose to everyone with any serious
intent to play PBEM game(s). This is not so much a issue as one could suspect though, as the early Ta152 types were no
super planes but rather sluggish. They were, however, very heavily armed as the intended role for the Ta152 was
originally to replace the twin-engined Bf110 family of Zerstörer aircraft with a more resource effective design which
also held more development potential for the future. The Ta152 was comparatively fast in level flight as well as in
acceleration due to its reduced frontal area from the original FW190A design.

Another key project of German aircraft industry was the Junker Jumo 222. It was a massive radial (picture the typical
German inverted V-12 but with another bank of cylinders on top) of 24 cylinders capable of some ~2900 takeoff HP. The
project never materialized historically, but only just neared operational reliability requirements at war's end. Had
the Jagdwaffe fared better in fending off allied aerial bombardment this could have turned out differently however,
availability dates thus reflect the completion of this design and integration with the Ta152H and He219 as was
historically intended. Engine requirements do reflect the R&D challenges inherent in the design.

A few aircraft were taken out of the planeset. The Bf109H had structural and stability shortcomings that ultimately
called for cancellation of the program. The Bf109Z is a impractical concept for many reasons which I will not
elaborate on here. The Ju88G was removed simply to make room, perhaps it will be restored at a later time.

Adjusted altitude performance of the jets, they should be less maneuverable close to ground but more maneuverable at
medium altitudes reflecting their amazing vertical maneuverability due to vertical penetration performance (zoom
climb). The 262 however performed poorly at high altitudes which its base maneuverability rating reflects well. Its
vulnerability at takeoff and landing is notorious so the worse maneuvering at low altitude should represent that.

New Types
FW190A-7 a version historically not manufactured in large numbers, introduced the cowling MG131 upgrade.
FW190A-9 powered by the boosted BMW 801F with a whopping 2400 takeoff HP. Historically this was fielded with
a different version of the BMW 801 than originally intended for the type producing "only" 2000 takeoff HP.
Do335A-0 is simply the pre-production model, had the RLM decided to approve this as a production standard.
He219A-0 is the A-2 renamed to correct designation.
He219A-2 is the A-5 renamed to correct designation.
He219B-1 is the Jumo 222 powered version of the type. Note engine requirement.
FW190D-13 is a later Dora powered by the Jumo 213E/F. It has the D-11 as a sub-type locked to aug-44.
FW190D-14 was powered by the DB603L. It has the D-15 as a sub-type locked to jan-45.
Ta152A-0 was the pre-production series, armament and performance reflect that. It has the A-1 as a a sub-type locked
to apr-44. Both versions would have fielded early Jumo 213C engines of lower power ratings, performance reflect that.
Ta152A-2 is a later version of the 152A with a slightly more powerful engine and a matured design. It has the /R3 as
a sub-type locked to jun-44.
Ta152B-5/N is a elaborate type which is my own conversion of the planned B-5 standard of 3 x Mk103 configuration.
Other than being a night fighter, practically identical to the A version.
Ta152H-3 is a later version of the infamous H armed with 3 x Mk103 cannons.
Ta152H-8 is the Jumo 222 powered beast. Note engine requirement and no motorkanone for this type but instead twin
MG151/20 cannons in a new type of cowling installation.
Me262A-0 is pre-production model 262 made available.
Me262A-4 is a later version of the 262 (designation may be wrong so please correct me if you know better) with twin
300L droptanks and twin Mk103s instead of the previous standard quad Mk108s.

List of added aircraft types

Aircraft Parts Engine E-Quant Availability /Sub-type availability

FW 190A-7 FW190 BMW801D 1 nov-43
FW 190A-9 FW190 BMW801F 1 nov-44

Do 335A-0 Do335 DB 603A 2 sep-44

He 219A-0 He219 DB 603A 2 sep-43
He 219A-2 He219 DB 603A 2 jul-44
He 219B-1 He219 Jumo 222 3 feb-45

FW 190D-13 FW190 late Jumo 213C 1 nov-44 /FW190D-11 aug-44
FW 190D-14 FW190 late DB 603L 1 dec-44 /FW190D-15 jan-45

Ta 152A-0 Ta152 Jumo 213C 1 mar-44 /Ta152A-1 apr-44
Ta 152A-2 Ta152 Jumo 213C 1 jun-44 /Ta152A-2/R3 jun-44
Ta 152B-5/N Ta152 Jumo 213C 1 aug-44

Ta 152H-3 Ta152H Jumo 213E/F 1 dec-44
Ta 152H-8 Ta152H Jumo 222 2 jan-45

Me 262A-0 Me262 Jumo Jets 4 mar-44
Me 262A-4 Me262 Jumo Jets 4 nov-44

In addition to the above some changes were made to availability dates to reflect the core intent with this mod. Now the Allied player will feel the pressure to perform. It is a big unknown however how the AI will handle Axis production and upgrades though. It needs to be tested.

Hals und Beinbruch!!!

Blue Skies!
"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people." - Heinz Guderian

Trippin' with Jagdgeschwader 11
Turner

RE: Focke-Wulf DB Mod - Release

Post by Turner »

Need feedback from playtesting. Especially from the Allied side vs AI.

Thanks!

Turner

Post by Turner »

It seems the B-29 can be implemented, have tested it successfully.

warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

@Turner

I LOVE YOU![&o]

Now how about the Lincoln? [:D]
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
Turner

Post by Turner »

Well, I'm currently wreaking havoc on the German industry using B-29s in a game vs the AI. You can target pretty much anything on the map but also need to take into consideration the very long mission times. The B-29 in Europe means that the Luftwaffe would be forced to spread out to defend the entire airspace, or resort to point defense of critical industries. The entry date is May 1944.

I wonder though, what reinforcement rate (airframes per day) should the B-29 have from May-44 onwards, and in '45?

The Lincoln bomber I have to look into more specifically. It is not in the game anywhere and the first use of the type by the RAF was in August 1945 although first flight took place on 9th July '44. Perhaps it could have been pressed into service by October/November '44 in low numbers?

warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

Altogether, 3,970 B-29's were built when production terminated in 1946; 2766 by Boeing, 668 by Bell, and 536 by Martin. The end of the war resulted in the cancellation of an additional 5,092 B-29's on order, after Wichita's production rate had reached 85 per month.

My Dad worked for Boeing building B-29's, hence my interest.
warshipbuilder

Turner

Post by Turner »

The B-29 is now in starting May 1944. Reinforcement rate is 5/day in '44 and 7/day in '45.

The P-80 is also in starting January 1945. Reinforcement rate is 2 per day.

It will be included with the coming update. Anyone have suggestions or other feedback, let's hear it!

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

83 P-80 production a/c were delivered by the end of 7/45 so you may want to reduce them to 1/day. Also it seems production a/c started to be delivered in 2/ or 3/45.
See also http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p80_4.html

WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
jakla1027

Post by jakla1027 »

How about the B-36B Peacemaker?

Could it be possible to just make a new "what if" campaign using the 43 or 44 campaign as a template?

how many aircraft can we add into the database? Would it be possible to add French, Russian or US navy aircraft into the database?

Also how the next update with the B-29s & P-80s coming along?

Well thanks for all your great modding work thus far[&o]

Turner

Post by Turner »

I'm testing the B29 now as axis, and some other stuff. Had to change the changes made to the FW190A-6 and sub variant as it became too good imo. So I'm balancing stuff right now.

Turner

Post by Turner »

Update to v1.0

There was a problem with manufacturing of some new aircraft types in the previous version, they could be built but they did not pool. I've fixed all manufacturing issues and verified that all is working myself.

Now included with this mod: B29, Ta183, B&V155.

Edit: There was a error in v1.0 with two italian units starting the scenario with the Ta152C instead of the G.55 (due to changes in the listing order of a/c). I'm correcting this now to upload v1.01 with a correct OOB in a few minutes.

Turner

Post by Turner »

Note: A bug causing a crash managed to sneak into v1.01. Am pretty sure of what is causing it so looking into that now.

Need help in determining the cause of this bug. The mod will be unavailable until this has been corrected.

Mappo

Post by Mappo »

HI, Turner great news, but I can't see the link to download your mod,
where is it?
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I have read more carefully your message. I will wait for the solution of the problem.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Update to v1.02

- All manufacturing should now work as intended.
- Crash fixed, and the rearranged aircraft list implemented.

Creeper

Post by Creeper »

Am I blind? Can't see the download link, too! [&:]

Edit: there it is..sorry!
Turner

Post by Turner »

Still some issues with v1.02. Some gruppen that should be equipped with the FW190A-6 are equipped with the A-5. Not a big issue but it's corrected for v1.03

Turner

Post by Turner »

v1.03
Attachments
BtRFocke..ODv1.03.zip
(410.84 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

Turner

Post by Turner »

There's a v1.1 in the works which will be completed soonish, within a week or two. It is a slightly bigger mod than previous versions including a further modified planeset and a '44 campaign version that will encompass industry modifications.

To recap, this mod is all about the 'what if' scenario of the RLM's fateful decisions during the autumn 1943. Historically it fell in favor of Messerschmitt and continued production of the 109 type but what if the production-ready (proposed start january 1944 by Focke-Wulf) Ta152A was approved by the RLM, and the proposed improvements (D model) to the FW190 had entered production? This mod attempts to recreate that situation while at the same time taking the game to a new level by introducing the B29 Superfortress into the 8th AF bomber fleet.

Blue skies!

AlterEgo

Post by AlterEgo »

Ah, good to know that you continue this mod.
Thanks a lot![:)]
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

Hey Turner, glad to see you are still here. Looking forward to the update.
warshipbuilder

Return to “Scenarios and Modding”