Sluggish UI

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Stormy Fairweather

Sluggish UI

Post by Stormy Fairweather »

Just finished installing Legends, and it seems as though the UI is far less responsive than it was in ROTS. When I click on a button, like characters, it takes a couple seconds to come up, and it seems to come up in pieces, with an outline and white boxes before being filled in. I suppose this is kinda petty to quibble about, but it is quite distracting, and immersion breaking. I can take screenshots of this process if anyone would like. I am using the latest beta, but I had seen this before I installed the patch. Right from the main menu I get this behavior. All my drivers are up to date, win7 64, 4 gB ram, 500 mB video card, 2.4 gHz quadcore processor and nothing extra running. After monitoring my system resources I am nearly certain the game is only using one of my cores, or at least almost entirely one. I think getting this game to use all four of my cores would solve most of my complaints.

Is this normal behavior? I am nearly certain it was much better in ROTS, but I have not played that for awhile so I may be misremembering. Also, nebula clouds are still causing massive lag. Disabling them in systems really cuts down on the lag when zooming into systems, but when zooming into gas clouds it is painful.

I am not just griping (I don't think so anyway), but the main thing I was looking forward in this expansion was a performance boost, but it almost seems to be running worse. I love the game design, the ideas, the depth, but I have a really, really hard time looking past lag.
Gelatinous Cube

RE: Sluggish UI

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Latest patch?
Stormy Fairweather

Post by Stormy Fairweather »

Er, latest beta v1.7.0.6. But I had seen this behavior before I installed that (I had hoped the beta would resolve it)
jezwhywhy

Post by jezwhywhy »

Most of the top ui functions have a slight delay on them,  it seems the tech tree has been significantly improved with 1.7.0.5+     I find Ships and Bases is the slowest to function.

Im not too bothered with it though, i just learn to live with it or use alternative methods like left & bottom quick buttons or assign groups to numbers.

---;@
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

In some strategy games which I play (War in the East, Combat Mission: SF...) there is sluggish UI and performance regardless of in game video settings. As I have decent configuration (Intel i5, 4GB RAM, GTX275) I wondered what is causing such sluggishness. Finally I have found answer: Some games simply don't like multi-core processors. For example, after I forced WiTE to use only single core there was observable improvement in UI responsiveness. Forcing CM: SF to single core raised fps from 20 to 30 at same video settings.

So, if you have multi-CPU try to set processor affinity for Distant Worlds to single core and see if that will improve UI responsiveness. Let us know about results.

Return to “Tech Support”