Strange Axis AI behavior

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

JamesM

Strange Axis AI behavior

Post by JamesM »

As requested by Apollo 11 I am posting my issue in this forum.

I am into November 1943 playing the Soviets against the computer. I have pushed the Axis back in the Ukraine, the AI kept pulling back to stop encirclements and as a result I slowed my attacks. Then in September and October 43 the AI did some major pull backs and left a number of units the were easily encircled (A Panzer division was forced to surrender by one of these major pull backs).

Also, I noticed when I was fully attacking in 1943 the Axis would pull back to avoid encirclement but there was hardly any counter attacks to try and stop my attacks. Also I was facing heavy attacks in 1942 and my line was weak as a result in a number of places, but then all attacks stopped one week and did not continue later on.

Please find attached a number of save games that show these issues.

Attachments
Save turn ..-1943 So.zip
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
JamesM

RE: Strange Axis AI behavior

Post by JamesM »

Next file, after with withdrawal:

Attachments
Saveturn..1943So.zip
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Before another withdrawal:

Attachments
Saveturn..1943So.zip
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Next file, after a major withdrawal:

Attachments
Saveturn..1943So.zip
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Two (2) saves to try and show the cessation of attacks (this may be a bit hard to see in these saves).

Attachments
Saveturn..1942So.zip
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Next file:

Hope they help.
Attachments
Saveturn..1942So.zip
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Thanks. Will send them to Gary.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

tm.asp?m=2836891

Posted on the Tech forum about 2 months ago. Unfortunately I made a complete reinstall of Windows two weeks back so all saves are lost.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Gary looked at 3 different sets of possible AI issues today. Two were items that he didn't see as big problems and/or there was no fix that wouldn't risk making things worse (one was when the AI was attacking in 42 and left a 2 hex gap in its line, another was where the AI was pulling back and left a 2 hex hole in the line, but both were swamp hexes). In the third issue he found that the German AI had fixed withdrawal plans in the south based on certain factors kicking in. Using the saves he saw that not only was the fall back a bad idea, it was being poorly executed. He's made a change that will come out in the next version that will get rid of a few of these planned withdrawals. Thanks for bringing this up (sorry the first person's post got overlooked). If you see things like this, please post them in the tech area with a screenshot showing what's going wrong, and pre-saves if at all possible. If you don't get a response, feel free to email 2by3@2by3games.com with the save and a link to the post. I can't promise we can fix the issue, but I'll let you know if it's something we can look at, and if we do, what comes of the review. Thanks.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Gary looked at 3 different sets of possible AI issues today. Two were items that he didn't see as big problems and/or there was no fix that wouldn't risk making things worse (one was when the AI was attacking in 42 and left a 2 hex gap in its line, another was where the AI was pulling back and left a 2 hex hole in the line, but both were swamp hexes). In the third issue he found that the German AI had fixed withdrawal plans in the south based on certain factors kicking in. Using the saves he saw that not only was the fall back a bad idea, it was being poorly executed. He's made a change that will come out in the next version that will get rid of a few of these planned withdrawals. Thanks for bringing this up (sorry the first person's post got overlooked). If you see things like this, please post them in the tech area with a screenshot showing what's going wrong, and pre-saves if at all possible. If you don't get a response, feel free to email 2by3@2by3games.com with the save and a link to the post. I can't promise we can fix the issue, but I'll let you know if it's something we can look at, and if we do, what comes of the review. Thanks.

Joel

Thank for your quick response and explanation of the issues and possible fixes.

Return to “Tech Support”