Love the Designer's Notes, Wow and Now Some Q's

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Adam Parker

Love the Designer's Notes, Wow and Now Some Q's

Post by Adam Parker »

Once again, another unexpected release (for me) on checking in, with the wargaming world today! Well done Matrix - this is your year!

The Matrix announcement for this game states "The sequel to Advanced Tactics is rolling off the production line and headed into battle!", which confused me somewhat, as I was never a big fan of AT due to the "clunkiness" I experienced on screen, when the game transitioned between turns.

However, on clearly seeing that this game covers specific campaigns of the early war era, I couldn't really fathom how this could be a "sequel" to AT at all? And I was very much releived. Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris (DCWtP) appears to be a self contained, bona fide peice of historical goodness.

(Btw - The "Decisive" part of the title threw me too - I thought that SSG had released another wargame seeing that its titles are called "Decisive" as well!).

In the designer's notes VR writes:
I added flexibility to each scenario but within tight constraints: what-if variants, a free setup mode, and a measure of cause and effect relations between the 3 scenarios in the campaign. All this allows some experimentation of how battles would have gone if small and medium sized events or factors turned out differently. In Case White, what-if variants include floodings, Polish forces defending the rivers instead of the borders and a variant where Stalin is sending limited numbers of volunteers instead of attacking from the east. In Case Yellow, what-if variants include further British commitment to the defense of France and cancellation of the Dyle Plan. In Operation Sealion variants include the British using Gas Attacks and deploying guerrilla forces.
When reading this, looking at the beatifully crafted NATO counters (packed with detail - welcome to the 21st Century) and seeing that 3 massive campaigns are covered - Poland, France and Britain - I just had to exhale "wow". Here's is a game seemingly offering grognardly, boardgame-like intensity.

So some questions:

1. This game has cards! How do they work, how are players given them, how many are there?

2. This game ooks IGO-UGO, is there any reaction or defensive fire (for want of some better phrases)?

3. What happens once a side clicks "end turn"? In AT the screen went archaically blank - sadly retro for me! Are things different now?

4. Is free placemement available in all scenarios and will the AI switch its force placements around too?

5. I see the rulebook is an ebook - regardless of how the game is purchased. How many pages does it have?

6. A modern approach to marketing in the hobby now days, is to release a rulebook for public perusal to help the buying process along. Can this be done here? I'd really like to see what's inside this game to make up my mind.

7. Related to (6) - are there any videos we can see?

Thanks again to all involved. Another really pleasant surprise for 2010.

Adam.
sullafelix

RE: Love the Designer's Notes, Wow and Now Some Q's

Post by sullafelix »

1. You get the cards at the beginning of the scenario.
2. Only if you try to move into a hex that has an enemy inside it. Of course there is air interception.
3. You see the map but no movement unless the AI is moving in hexes where you can already see. That's if your using fog of war.
4. Yes and Yes

I have never been a big fan of cards but this game has brought me around. They work very well in this game.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

I'm a big fan of wargames with cards - they're a great way to add fog, history and variety.

Thanks Sulla. (3) sounds a bit more promising than before!
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I would say Matrix is creating a Golden Age for wargamers. What say ya'all?

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Once again, another unexpected release (for me) on checking in, with the wargaming world today! Well done Matrix - this is your year!

Adam.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Thanks, I think you will love this one too!
The Matrix announcement for this game states "The sequel to Advanced Tactics is rolling off the production line and headed into battle!", which confused me somewhat, as I was never a big fan of AT due to the "clunkiness" I experienced on screen, when the game transitioned between turns.

Yes, that sub-title is not accurate, I'm sorry for the confusion that caused. This is from the same development team, but it is not the sequel to Advanced Tactics. It is instead the start of a new historical wargame series with all the best gameplay elements of AT with a lot more added in and improved.
Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris (DCWtP) appears to be a self contained, bona fide peice of historical goodness.

Indeed it is! [8D]
When reading this, looking at the beatifully crafted NATO counters (packed with detail - welcome to the 21st Century) and seeing that 3 massive campaigns are covered - Poland, France and Britain - I just had to exhale "wow". Here's is a game seemingly offering grognardly, boardgame-like intensity.

There are some additional full resolution pics in these two threads as well:

tm.asp?m=2548255

tm.asp?m=2558506
1. This game has cards! How do they work, how are players given them, how many are there?

Well, there are strategic level cards in the campaign phase before and between the battles and there are also strategic card options during the battles and finally each general has some cards that they may be able to use to assist a division or two. The strategic cards are played using PPs and your points carry over in the campaign, so if you spend too many on the strategic level before the battle, you are more limited in your options once the battle starts.
3. What happens once a side clicks "end turn"? In AT the screen went archaically blank - sadly retro for me! Are things different now?

You get to watch the entire AI move and combat, though within the limits of fog of war. A huge improvement over AT, IMHO.
5. I see the rulebook is an ebook - regardless of how the game is purchased. How many pages does it have?

86 Pages in the E-Book manual.
6. A modern approach to marketing in the hobby now days, is to release a rulebook for public perusal to help the buying process along. Can this be done here? I'd really like to see what's inside this game to make up my mind.

Can't post the full manual, but I'll post a pic of the table of contents.
7. Related to (6) - are there any videos we can see?

Not yet, but perhaps in the future!

Regards,

- Erik

Attachments
WTPManual.jpg
WTPManual.jpg (899.36 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Dale H

It's been said before, Matrix is the AH/SPI of the modern age.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Knavery

Post by Knavery »

Yeah this game looks VERY impressive. However, I buy like every other title released by Matrix and I haven't even really played them. I have AT and love the concept, but I haven't played it that much. But this! This game looks like it took YEARS to develop with the care and attention to possibly make this an award winner. Just the screenshots alone make me salivate.
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

Going to have to agree with that!
ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: Dale H

It's been said before, Matrix is the AH/SPI of the modern age.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”