Review @ Out of Eight

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

JaguarUSF

Review @ Out of Eight

Post by JaguarUSF »

A review of Distant Worlds has been posted at Out of Eight PC Game Reviews:
http://www.outofeight.info/2010/04/dist ... eview.html
Enjoy!
ASHBERY76

RE: Review @ Out of Eight

Post by ASHBERY76 »

With a few more patches it will be 10/8?
VarekRaith

Post by VarekRaith »

Heh, typical. No multiplayer = Bad mark against the game.

I wished reviewers would realize that MP would be detrimental to games like DW.

Ah, well.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

I totally agree with the review, and despite some major bumps in the road like the economy bug, and some other medium sized annoyances, the type of game Codeforce managed to develop on a indie dev budget, IS PHENOMENAL!

Not to mention the A+ post release support, I mean Armada took twice as long to patch less annoyances.

Great Review,

And VarekRaith some games are not meant to be MP, but I guess to each their own.
VarekRaith

Post by VarekRaith »

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

I totally agree with the review, and despite some major bumps in the road like the economy bug, and some other medium sized annoyances, the type of game Codeforce managed to develop on a indie dev budget, IS PHENOMENAL!

Not to mention the A+ post release support, I mean Armada took twice as long to patch less annoyances.

Great Review,

And VarekRaith some games are not meant to be MP, but I guess to each their own.

Exactly. I'm of the opinion that MP pretty much ruins the SP experience in any game that has it.
:shrugs:
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Nice review. Thanks for posting a link to read.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thank you, great review! 8/8...
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

Well, 8/8 is very nice. But the game has bugs and I feel, that I have to guess too many things. So yes it is a great game with lot of fun-potential, especially after the next 2 or 3 patches, or perhaps even after an expansion. But 8/8 right now is too much - I think!
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

I agree with jnpoint. I don't think it deserves 8/8. It almost makes that you can't take the reviewer serious next time in his revies. I would say a 7/8. 8/8 would mean a perfect game. Perfect game this is not. But it's a great game, maybe even an awsome game if you like 4X space games, but it's far from perfect, and there is room for improvement.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Wow. I've enjoyed Out of Eight reviews for years; they've generally been fairly accurate in the broad details.

However, 8 out of 8? Really?

Only in intentions, in aspirations, could DW be receiving that score.

Out of Eight has given the game a bit too much credit.

I've used the website as a resource - one of many of course - for years, but I'm glad I didn't rely on them this time.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Maybe the 8/8 does not have to mean perfect. 8/8 score could mean the fun potential of the game in the way the game is designed. Note that it states no multi-player as a negative yet it still gives 8/8. No game could be perfect because there are always improvements and wish list features for every game.

There is a perfect/full score but it does not mean a perfect game. Distant Worlds received a deserved perfect score. Think of past similiar games that are so much less fun than Distant Worlds.
Games are entertainment and entertainment should be fun as a priority. Confusion removes some fun but the Distant Worlds developers are refining the game to lower confusion, thus increasing fun.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

I don't think there's any such thing as a perfect game. However, an 8/8 rating should be considered a "mandatory" title, or, as I state on the site, you should "buy it now."
I don't have the equivalent of a 90-95% rating, so I round up ;)

Pursuant to Matrix's and Codeforce's track record, I am assuming that the various minor bugs will be fixed in the near future, and frankly I didn't encounter any show-stopping during my play time other than the econ bug that already got fixed.

Is there anything else on the market quite like Distant Worlds? I think not, so an 8/8 is a deserving score. In my opinion, of course.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I think it is important to note that Out of Eight's rating system is based more on a buy recommendation scale than a scale of whether the game is perfect in every regard. 8/8 means Buy it Now, period. We really appreciate the vote of confidence in this regard and we are certain that the upcoming updates will validate this rating for those that are still having issues.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Well if we go by recomending to buy the game, then I would say 8/8 then myself if you love 4X space games.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Ahh, from that perspective the rating makes more sense.  :)
mightili

Post by mightili »

I am sorry but DW is far from 8/8 whatever this score is based on, buying rating or playing rating. I'd say it stands somewhere at 4/8. There is just too many things that need to be fixed, game is far from feeling as a FULLY COMPLETED PRODUCT.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: VarekRaith

Heh, typical. No multiplayer = Bad mark against the game.

I wished reviewers would realize that MP would be detrimental to games like DW.

Ah, well.

multiplayer is detrimental to all games. MP sucks...

[Edited] - This is a family friendly forum, please keep it civil.

actually why would anyone ever prefer that?
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Nice review and I think DW does deserve an 8. It's different, refreshing and it works. Maybe it should be a 6 or 7 now, and a 7 or 8 after some patches and changes, but I think DW is a standout game and the 8 reflects that :)
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Ok, I do recall Out of Eight's grading definition: so 8 of 8 as a "must have" game... well, ok, I can see that. DW is not just another space strategy game; it's an effort to go where no game has...
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

In addition, in the immortal words of Eric Cartman:
Whatever, whatever, I can do what I want!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”