WiTP AE Download Problem

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
HansBolter

WiTP AE Download Problem

Post by HansBolter »

I ordered and downloaded WiTP AE and received a 462mb .efw file that can't be run by any program on my computer.

I downloaded it a second time and payed close attention to the name of the file I was receiving and sure enough I got the same 462mb .efw file a second time.

Exactly WTF IS an .efw file and how do I go about extracting a file from it that will intsall the game I paid $100 for.

I was expecting an excutable install file.

Hans
Hans

Terminus

RE: WiTP AE Download Problem

Post by Terminus »

You should have received one. Send an email to

erikr@matrixgames.com

to have him help you out. With BtR out today, he probably won't see this post for a while.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

Hi HansBolter,

this looks interesting, maybe it's related to your problem:
EFW file extension

Compressed .ZIP or executable .EXE file renamed by CA Security Centre to have a ".efw" extension; typically applies to e-mail attachments scanned by Computer Associates (CA) antivirus software.

EFW zipped files may be opened by changing the file extension to ".zip" and opening the file with a decompression utility, such as WinZip or Stuffit Expander; executable files may be run directly by changing the file extension to ".exe" and opening the file.

NOTE: Do not open unknown e-mail attachments from non-trusted sources, as they may contain viruses or other malicious programs.

You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily disabling your antivirus software when downloading legitimate zipped or executable files.

I downloaded AE and it's an exe. Maybe it's an antivirus problem?
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I had CA for my security software (it's free from RR). It did the same thing for me on all downloaded files. I dumped it and went back to Trend Micro. No more efw problems!!!
Tony
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Treale: I'm also from Central FL and had identical problem with CA, even went so far as to remove it from my machine.......
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: planner 3

Treale: I'm also from Central FL and had identical problem with CA, even went so far as to remove it from my machine.......

That's what I did after I couldn't resolve the download and email issues. I guess that you get what you pay for!!!
Tony
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

Hi HansBolter,

this looks interesting, maybe it's related to your problem:
EFW file extension

Compressed .ZIP or executable .EXE file renamed by CA Security Centre to have a ".efw" extension; typically applies to e-mail attachments scanned by Computer Associates (CA) antivirus software.

EFW zipped files may be opened by changing the file extension to ".zip" and opening the file with a decompression utility, such as WinZip or Stuffit Expander; executable files may be run directly by changing the file extension to ".exe" and opening the file.

NOTE: Do not open unknown e-mail attachments from non-trusted sources, as they may contain viruses or other malicious programs.

You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily disabling your antivirus software when downloading legitimate zipped or executable files.

I downloaded AE and it's an exe. Maybe it's an antivirus problem?

That was exactly it. Thanks very much for the help.

The new artwork is superb btw.
Hans

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”