Help Please

Call for Volunteers! This sub-forum is devoted to our ongoing project of researching and
writing brief biographical sketches of all 1000 Civil War generals, each
of whom has a chance of appearing when one plays "Forge of Freedom."
Players are invited to participate in providing info for these bios, which will be added to the game by means of patches, as they are
written.

Moderator: Gil R.

Kingmaker

Help Please

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Below is a C&P from a post I put up on 'the Blitz' site, I suddenly thought, Ahhh! maybe this is where I should have posted it given all the indepth knowledge on display here, ... Salute Sirs, Salute!

Something late entering the brainbox was maybe not a wife but a Mistress, anyhow any help either way would be appreciated, as I say it's Bugging me somewhat now.

HiHi

This is now starting to bug me.

I seem to remember reading many, many years ago that General Beauregard shot his wife dead on catching her with a lover, his defence at trial (in Louisiana) was that it's easier to shoot 1 unfaithful Wife than lots of Lovers, and he was acquitted! Anyone come across that anywhere?

A subsequent Google on Wikipedia failed to find any mention of the incident, and Ironclad has suggested may be “It was Dan Sickles. Union general.”, but he shot the lover, and I’m certain the whole point behind the story was that it was a ‘Wife’ (I must admit as a child I was impressed with the logic!) and that it could only happen in Louisiana sort of thing.

Can anyone out there help?

Cheers.

All the Best
Peter

jkBluesman

RE: Help Please

Post by jkBluesman »

As far as I know Sickles was the first one to go on trial and getting acquitted for temporary insanity. As for Beauregard I suggest looking into the bio "Napoleon in Gray" (I think it is from the 1950s).
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I just checked the Heidlers' "Encyclopedia of the American Civil War" and there's nothing on this. Beauregard first married in 1841 at age 23, and that wife died in childbirth in 1850. He married again, and that wife's in-law helped get Beauregard appointed to be superintendent of West Point in Jan. 1861 -- which suggests they were all on good terms.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Thanks for the reponces Chaps, looks like I picked up a real "weird" somewhere back in my childhood, Ho hum.

All the Best
Peter

Return to “Generals' Biographies Project”