When Your Child Gives Up Santa Claus...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

When Your Child Gives Up Santa Claus...

Post by KG Erwin »

...that is a magical child-belief that I'm gonna miss. It happened last year with my daughter, and this year just doesn't seem so special.

I didn't realize how precious that was, to a parent, until it was gone. Another level of innocence lost, I suppose, and another realization that your little boy/little girl is maturing.

So, dad's still awake, and contemplating about how quickly everything changes when a child is part of your life.

Is there such a thing as post-Santa depression? Perhaps. However, the girls are asleep, and it is SO quiet. No traffic to be heard, either. It's beautiful.

morvwilson

RE: When Your Child Gives Up Santa Claus...

Post by morvwilson »

Merry Christmas KG and all that read this.
I know what you mean, I have my legs on both side of that fense. The oldest loves to play santa and the younger two eat it up!
I'll enjoy it while it lasts.[:)]
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

KG, that's the bit I'm dreading (but not for a few years yet!) as I can still remember the magic on Christmas Eve as a child. I'll keep it going for as long as possible and make it as special as I can for my son before he gets to that age. [:)]
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
CJMello63

Post by CJMello63 »

My oldest is 8 and this may be her last year. I bet someone at school ruins it for her next Christmas. Then she will be in on it for the following Christmas's with the two younger kids. I will tell her she can always believe by just thinking back to her younger days on Christmas Eve and remembering what it was like to lie awake for hours, sleepless, waiting for Santa to break into the house.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Is there such a thing as post-Santa depression? Perhaps.

The depression passed quickly. I had some lingering quilt for keeping my kids fooled as long as I did. I went through antics to keep up impressions. One of my favorite tricks was to make ash boot tracks to the coffee table from the fire place. The glass of milk and cookies we left out for Santa would be partially eaten.

I broke the hard truth to each of them about the time they turned 7; I did not want them to be embarrassed at schools.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

KG you shouldn't be concerned! My daughter is 14 now and couple years back she hit the nail right on the head, her comment was "dad, while santa brings gifts, Easter bunny brings eggs and while the tooth fairy leaves money I will always believe." and believing is one thing, but what more importnt is the giving, the love and the excitement of the ocassion, watching the joy on your childrens' faces and joy of sharing each others gifts, they to are now at an age where they like to give as well as receive. the gifts they give us their, parents may be small in monetary terms, the gift of love and enjoyment is far beyond any measurable tool. It's the simple things in life that make this time of year, the food, the togetherness, the sharing, the distant telephone call wishing you a merry christmas from a family member living on the other side of of this vast continent, but mostly watching your healthy 11 and 14 year old playing together with one their gifts, and when the kids thank you for having a great christmas, the loss of innocence of not believing in santa sinks into the distant past, KG maybe a sad but brief moment the life of a parent, but so much more to look forward to. Well to put an end to this rambling the proof the greatness of the day was at 2 am this morning when my wife and I finally settled into bed and she said what a wonderful day it was.[:D][:D][:D]
Formerly Goodwood

Rapstyle

Post by Rapstyle »

I haven't child,XD,I'm young,lol.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Our children have never believed in Santa, because we told them the truth from the beginning.  Yet Christmas has been as magical and special in our house as you can imagein.  One benefit to doing it this way is that there was no "Santa isn't real?" letdown.  I know this is an unusual approach, but my wife and I didn't want to mislead our children, even if the misleading was for a good cause and with the best intentions.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Jonathan Palfrey

Post by Jonathan Palfrey »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Our children have never believed in Santa, because we told them the truth from the beginning. Yet Christmas has been as magical and special in our house as you can imagine. One benefit to doing it this way is that there was no "Santa isn't real?" letdown. I know this is an unusual approach, but my wife and I didn't want to mislead our children, even if the misleading was for a good cause and with the best intentions.

I prefer this approach myself -- it's the way I was brought up by my parents, and I never felt deprived. But my wife has so far deceived our 7-year-old son into believing in Father Christmas, and very soon he'll figure out that she's been telling him fibs all along. I've remained neutral and haven't commented on the subject.

Return to “General Discussion”