Known Problems, updated for 3.4

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

ralphtricky

Known Problems, updated for 3.4

Post by ralphtricky »

3.4.0.173 is the latest 'Official Beta' Patch
3.4 Known Issues.
ToolTip Hide Option doesn't take effect until TOAW is stopped and restarted.
SS runes will appear as boxes in the tooltip. Tooltips don't support bitmapped fonts, and the normal fonts don't
The Silver color in Opart3 Fonts.ini is backwards, bgr instead of rgb. Tooltip background is also messed up.I believe that it's not only backwards, but one channel, I think it's the red channel, is always going to be 1, making it pretty dark.
Non-English language issue. The equipment.eqp file in the graphics directory should be deleted or renamed. Otherwise the equipment will be in English.
Importing Games and OOBs is broken. I think that saving and reloading the scenario might fix it, but I'm not sure.
Spelling error in OOB XML files - proficiendy
Tooltips on the second monitor weren't showing up.
All documents weren't opening when you pressed the documentation button on the scenario open screen.
Current Beta supports only Pentium 4 or better processors (Opteron/Athlon for AMD) These were released in 2001 and 2003. I'm looking at how to support back to P3 processors, but I don't think my compiler supports going back further.

Other Issues
See the message at the bottom of this thread for the foreign language displaying English Equipment fix.

There are two known bugs that will cause TOAW III to stop responding or sometimes crash.

The crash bug is the sound library. It appears to sometimes cause crashes even when sound is turned off. This seems to be very dependent on the sound card, most people have no issues, a few have problems. You might try the nosound command-line option is you're having problems with crashes, it may help.

Program Incompatibilities
Sometimes the game won't start, you never get to the opening screen. This is caused by some video players not working as expected. You can either install a version of media player available from the Microsoft site, Windows Media Player Downloads Or you can safely rename or move the following files from the C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III directory

TalonSoft
TOAW_Studio
Matrix Games
TOAD
TOAW3 Intro

Major Bugs, still in 3.1.0.9
You may experience a slowdown in some scenarions. If this happens, change the following flags in Opart 3.ini. It's in the Matrix Games/The Operational Art of War direcotry. They should speed things up while I look to the cause.

;Do this first
experimentalAIP2=N
experimentalAIP1=N
;Do this if still too slow
oldpathfinding=Y

Version number not always displayed on help/about screen.

The Theater Option target event is not updated when a event is inserted above it. So if a Theater Option is set to Activate event 400 and you insert another event at 399, the TO still is set to Activate event 400. It should Activate event 401 instead.

Major Bugs, still in 3.0.0.14
We've had some cases of instability reported. I believe that we've tracked down the causes and we're testing a patch. There is a possible issue with the sound library, and reconstitution can take a long time, causing people to believe the computer has crashed after the supply phase.

Anti-Air was made a bit too powerful, we're revising the damage that AA can cause.

The PO was not properly deploying to repair bridges.

The Theater Option target event is not updated when a event is inserted above it. So if a Theater Option is set to Activate event 400 and you insert another event at 399, the TO still is set to Activate event 400. It should Activate event 401 instead.

The right most button in the unit report has a description as follows: "This is the veteran / untried status button", while pressing it seems to produce the "Divide Unit" functionality.

3.0.0.14 is the latest 'Official' Patch
There are 3 known bugs that will cause TOAW III to stop responding or sometimes crash.

The first one is the sound library. It appears to sometimes cause crashes even when sound is turned off. This seems to be very dependent on the sound card, most people have no issues, a few have problems. You might try the nosound command-line option is you're having problems with crashes, it may help.

One other cause of crashes is that it is possible to try to display a description of a hex that is longer than 131 characters. TOAW COW would randomly corrupt memory, causing problems later on. TOAW III will shut itself down to prevent any possible damage. This is most likely to happen in a winter scenario.

The other issue is that reconstitution can take a long time in some scenarios. This happens after the supply phase has completed processing, and the reconstitution phase has started. For some reason, this process can take a long time (an hour or more.) We're looking at optimizing the time it takes this and calculating supply in a future patch.

I'm actively talking to a couple of the people that seem to be the most affected, and I'm trying to verify that the fixes planned for a future patch will address these issues. This is not the current Beta patch that will be going into production soon, but a later one.

Please be patient, these bugs are being taken very seriously, and will be fixed as soon as we can verify that we aren't going to break anything else when fixing them. They appear to affect a very few machines. There was no way that we could test all the machines out there, but that's not a real excuse.

Program Incompatibilities
Sometimes the game won't start, you never get to the opening screen. This is caused by some video players not working as expected. You can either install a version of media player available from the Microsoft site, Windows Media Player Downloads Or you can safely rename or move the following files from the C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III directory

TalonSoft
TOAW_Studio
Matrix Games
TOAD
TOAW3 Intro

Major Bugs, still in 3.0.0.14
We've had some cases of instability reported. I believe that we've tracked down the causes and we're testing a patch. There is a possible issue with the sound library, and reconstitution can take a long time, causing people to believe the computer has crashed after the supply phase.

Anti-Air was made a bit too powerful, we're revising the damage that AA can cause.

The PO was not properly deploying to repair bridges.

The right most button in the unit report has a description as follows: "This is the veteran / untried status button", while pressing it seems to produce the "Divide Unit" functionality.

3.0.0.14 Fixes

Major Bugs in 3.0.0.12, fixed in 3.0.0.14
There is a bug that causes units not to reconstitute. We've identified what is causing this, and have a fix to the code that's being tested right now.

The equipment isn't being translated. If playing a foreign language version, you'll still see 'Machine Gun', etc.

I have to apologize for not catching these sooner. I caught the equipment bug when I started looking at the Polish language files after release, and one of the beta testers noticed the reconstitution bug last night as well.

Thanks,
Ralph Trickey
TOAW III Programmer
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ralphtricky

RE: Known Problems

Post by ralphtricky »

3.1.0.9 has a problem with non-English language equipment displaying in English.

If you are playing a non-English language version, you should unzip the attached equipment.eqp file into the C:/Matrix Games/The Operational Art of War/Graphics directory and overwrite the Equipment.eqp file in that directory.

Ralph
Attachments
Equipment.zip
(43.93 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ralphtricky

RE: Known Problems

Post by ralphtricky »

Updated to 3.4
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

Return to “TOAW III Support”