fading suns

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

soldat411

fading suns

Post by soldat411 »

Anyone remember that old game "emperor of the fading suns"? It was pretty fun I still play it every now and then. I think shadow empire is going to take its place though hehe.
demiare

RE: fading suns

Post by demiare »

Yes, and you can remake a Stigmata on Medusa-type planet with "Alien life" history class ^_~
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

Emperor of the Fading Suns was a great concept, poorly executed.
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Journier

Post by Journier »

if shadow empire gets sea and air, and then space expansion, i think emperor of the fading suns will finally be relegated to my never need to play again list.
soldat411

Post by soldat411 »

Yea it is too bad the ai wasn't too great in that game, must be hard to make a decent ai as a lot of games seem to have that problem.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Journier

if shadow empire gets sea and air, and then space expansion, i think emperor of the fading suns will finally be relegated to my never need to play again list.

This and it would be one of the greatest games of all time!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ladner

Post by ladner »

ORIGINAL: soldat411

Anyone remember that old game "emperor of the fading suns"? It was pretty fun I still play it every now and then. I think shadow empire is going to take its place though hehe.
I've been keeping my eye on this game, somewhere still have my CD-ROM for Fading Suns. It was ahead of it's time. Sure it might have been buggy and had issues, but few games had the depth and breadth of features at the time, in my opinion.

Would be incredible to have a modern remake.
ZiggyMaca

Post by ZiggyMaca »

Fading Suns was a stellar game. I played it so much, it was so deep and fun. And the lore was really grimdark. Loved it. If you could give SE a space layer that you could access though the tech tree, with a large number of systems/planets to travel to, populated with majors that have the same capabilities included space flight and invasions...

think about it, the planet generation could have a section for space quadrant generation. Would be the ultimate game for me.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: ZiggyMaca

Fading Suns was a stellar game. I played it so much, it was so deep and fun. And the lore was really grimdark. Loved it. If you could give SE a space layer that you could access though the tech tree, with a large number of systems/planets to travel to, populated with majors that have the same capabilities included space flight and invasions...

think about it, the planet generation could have a section for space quadrant generation. Would be the ultimate game for me.
A game where you start on a planet, but then become a space empire?
I think there is such a game in development right now. But of course, I can not remember the name of the top of my head.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

ORIGINAL: ZiggyMaca

A game where you start on a planet, but then become a space empire?
I think there is such a game in development right now. But of course, I can not remember the name of the top of my head.
I found it again!
The name is Pax Nova. It starts on a single planet, somewhat Civ-like.
But it then goes interstellar and maybe even intergalactic?
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

I found it again!
The name is Pax Nova. It starts on a single planet, somewhat Civ-like.
But it then goes interstellar and maybe even intergalactic?

Good catch. Iceberg Interactive. Games tend to be shiny and big on promises, but only inches deep on actual play. Reminds me of Amplitude games. Lots of cut scenes and dramatic music instead of game play in marketing. Like, they make a shiny Civ clone, but not as clever as Civ. Derivative. Just my impression. They never held my interest beyond one or maybe two runs on any title.
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
demiare

Post by demiare »

ORIGINAL: Malevolence
Reminds me of Amplitude games.

They're dead for me after Endless Space 2. Critical bug on release that corrupt saves if you're playing on large+ galaxies. Guess how much they need to fix it? More then two months >_<. Okay, new DLC, new faction... Guess what? This bug is back. Okay new expansion pack... Guess what? [:@]
Since it they're in my personal blacklist.
And yes - very pretty games, but so eclectic, limited and propaganda-filled. (Crawlers are consuming planets and killing everyone - but can I execute their population if I captured their system? No! >_<)
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: demiare

ORIGINAL: Malevolence
Reminds me of Amplitude games.

They're dead for me after Endless Space 2. Critical bug on release that corrupt saves if you're playing on large+ galaxies. Guess how much they need to fix it? More then two months >_<. Okay, new DLC, new faction... Guess what? This bug is back. Okay new expansion pack... Guess what? [:@]
Since it they're in my personal blacklist.
And yes - very pretty games, but so eclectic, limited and propaganda-filled. (Crawlers are consuming planets and killing everyone - but can I execute their population if I captured their system? No! >_<)
One setting - that you could easily not pick - is not a critical bug. At best it is a mistake in that the setting is allowed.
Bugs comming back or being added as you fix some, is a unavoidable reality.
Both are things you got to expect and learn to life with in every game.

Also, the Cravers can kill population. It is called "Feeding Pits". It was suggested 4 and added 3 years ago:
https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude- ... s-a-craver
Claiming anything about game mechanics in a Amplitude game when not having looked at it for 1+ years, is just going to end with you talking nonsense. They change that quickly.
demiare

Post by demiare »

One setting - that you could easily not pick - is not a critical bug.
Excuse me? I'm not using mods or anything alike, I'm playing released game using options that game allow me to use - and you're trying to say that corruption of saves that's destroying my game (as saves became corrupted before they're no longer able to be loaded) is not a critical bug?! [X(]
Also, the Cravers can kill population.

But YOU can't kill cravers population if playing any other race. Even if they're still damaging now YOUR planet.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

One setting - that you could easily not pick - is not a critical bug.
Excuse me? I'm not using mods or anything alike, I'm playing released game using options that game allow me to use - and you're trying to say that corruption of saves that's destroying my game (as saves became corrupted before they're no longer able to be loaded) is not a critical bug?! [X(]
You run into a that problem once.

Then you just do not pick the faulty setting. If it is that trivially dodged, it is not a critical bug.
Also, the Cravers can kill population.

But YOU can't kill cravers population if playing any other race. Even if they're still damaging now YOUR planet.
That sounds more like a general issue with the Consumption Mechanic. Wich is why I sugested a switch to turn that one off for Cravers (replacing it with something else).

Return to “Shadow Empire”