Ship movement into battle

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John B.

Ship movement into battle

Post by John B. »

Hello, Scott and I are engaged in a long game that is nearing the end of 1944. There was a large air sea battle just south of Kyushu in which my (IJN) fleet carrier squadron only moved three hexes out of Tokyo when it's speed was 9/4, it had not used any ops points prior to moving and it had a good admiral in charge (Yamaguchi aggression 61). I can't figure out why it only moved 1/3 of it's movement when it was set to "absolute." This dramatically changed the complexion of the battle since the whole thing was designed to get those carriers into action.

1. This first picture shows where the CVs wound up (three hexes from where they started) and where they were supposed to go.

2. The second picture, next post, shows the TF when I saved the turn at the start of the day No one refueled, no ops points had been used.

3. The final picture, post after the next one, shows the fleet at the end of day. Again, no one refueled and I don't see any reason why it would have only moved three hexes and thus missed out on the entire battle. I have never seen this before. I've seen ships move 1-2 hexes more or less than you think, but never 6 hexes less.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (301.53 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
John B.

RE: Ship movement into battle

Post by John B. »

TF at the start of the day.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (305.03 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

fleet at the end of the day.

Did I miss something obvious and make a major mistake? Is this a glitch in the program? Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (277.56 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The only weird thing that I see is when I click on the TF in question it very briefly highlights a two hex green outline patrol zone and then reverts to the yellow outline TF path indicator. It does that on the other surface TF that also failed to make it to the battle. It does not have that brief green outline patrol zone for any other TF I hover over. I wonder if there is some bug that halted these TFs as they sailed out.

I can't take a picture of the effect that I see as it only shows up temporarily.
John Barr
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Why is this posted in the Tech Support forum?

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Why is this posted in the Tech Support forum?

You beat me to the punch lizard [:D]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I answered in the other Section: "Retirement Allowed" is the technical flaw.

"The Computer Operator Bug strikes again!"
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I answered in the other Section: "Retirement Allowed" is the technical flaw.

"The Computer Operator Bug strikes again!"

That means Yamaguchi thought John B. was nuts?

John B.

Post by John B. »

Geo & btd, why would I not post a suspected bug in the tech support forum? Isn't this for bug reports? You're going to have to explain that one to me.

In any event, BBFanboy, it is unlikely that it was "retirement allowed." Here is the original TF track and you'll see the TF was set to go 11 hexes. Based on where it wound up, if it went to it's target and back it went 19 hexes when set at mission speed, no ships suffered any damage, and they burned almost no fuel.

As I noted, when I hover over the TF is briefly marks itself as having a patrol zone and then goes to the original yellow outline TF path to its target hex. That's what makes me suspect that there is some sort of bug. But, Geo & btd, if you think this belongs in another forum just tell me where it should go and I'll be happy to repost it there.

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (299.5 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And here is the TF path for the second day. As you can see, it's still heading to the target hex which would not make sense at all if it had already gone there and was heading back to port. In that case, it would have a TF path going back to Tokyo.

Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (281.09 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Can you post a picture of the TFs routing screen for the first day?

And BTW, at mission speed it would not have moved the 11 hexes you wanted. I would have moved 8 or 9 hexes.
John B.

Post by John B. »

Hi Bill, Post No. 8 is the first day TF routing screen. Post No. 9 is the second day TF routing screen which shows that it is still on the way to it's target hex.

I deliberately set the TF goal a couple of hexes past it's speed so that it would not turn back. I wanted it just south of Shikoku which, FYI, is where the CVE TF which also left from Tokyo wound up.
John Barr
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

There are no bugs. Support ended over 3 years ago. This is not a bug with the game. Might be a cockroach though. Really, everything you describe is debatable and opinions are what you should be asking for and in the main forum. A lot of players who might contribute may never come to this forum to read posts like this, so they're no help to you here.

But seriously, there used to be some bugs, this game has been more thoroughly vetted than the Apollo moon shots. There aren't any bugs left. You may not understand what happened and why, but don't suggest it's a bug or a glitch when you present it. Everyone including me learns things everyday with this game through dialog with others. This Tech Forum is for 'you can't get your computer to work' kind of problems. It's borderline to even bring up a 'I can't get Tracker to work' here - a non proprietary app.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

There's no one here to report any bugs to. No software engineering work is being done on this anymore. You're just talking to other players and there's more of them in the main forum.

John B.

Post by John B. »

Given that the flight computer crashed as Neil Armstrong was landing the Lunar Module on the surface of the moon I"m not sure that the moon shots are the best example of why there can be no bugs in this game. :)

So far the only non-bug theory I've heard would have required the TF to accelerate to more than its maximum speed, use very little fuel, suffer no systems damage, go to its destination hex and return and then be scheduled to still go to its destination hex. That plus the odd patrol zone outline that pops up briefly when I click on the TF sure sounds like a bug to me.

I hope this is not read as being written in a snarky tone of voice. I appreciate your advice on where to get better input. I'll wait today to see if anything good comes up here and, if not, I'll move it.[:)]

John Barr
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: John B.

Hi Bill, Post No. 8 is the first day TF routing screen. Post No. 9 is the second day TF routing screen which shows that it is still on the way to it's target hex.

I deliberately set the TF goal a couple of hexes past it's speed so that it would not turn back. I wanted it just south of Shikoku which, FYI, is where the CVE TF which also left from Tokyo wound up.

No they are not there. I need to see the screen shot after you press the "Set TF Routing" button.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: John B.

Given that the flight computer crashed as Neil Armstrong was landing the Lunar Module on the surface of the moon I"m not sure that the moon shots are the best example of why there can be no bugs in this game. :)

So far the only non-bug theory I've heard would have required the TF to accelerate to more than its maximum speed, use very little fuel, suffer no systems damage, go to its destination hex and return and then be scheduled to still go to its destination hex. That plus the odd patrol zone outline that pops up briefly when I click on the TF sure sounds like a bug to me.

I hope this is not read as being written in a snarky tone of voice. I appreciate your advice on where to get better input. I'll wait today to see if anything good comes up here and, if not, I'll move it.[:)]
The Apollo 11 'flight computer' did not crash; it issued a message that it had more tasks to do than time to do them. It then went back to the top of its task list and kept going. Which was fine because the high priority tasks got done. It was not a bug.
The overload was because the astronauts gave it too much to do. This was realized (by Houston) before the Eagle blasted off from the moon.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'll grant there was a bug, somebody forgot to apply general relativity to the calculations, but as Neil Armstrong knew, it was too late to fix.

John B.

Post by John B. »

I'm not trying to disrespect the Apollo program. :)

Bill, is the the screen shot you want?

FYI, Scott and I reran the turn. The combat results were vastly different but the CV TFs still stayed in the same place three hexes from Tokyo.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (227.99 KiB) Viewed 515 times
John Barr
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

In this picture TF 218 is following the CV TF. What is TF 218, where is it, where was it at the start of this?
A Tf that is being followed may slow down to allow the following TF to catch up.

Return to “Tech Support”