Netplay Fixes for Common Problems

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

gw15

Netplay Fixes for Common Problems

Post by gw15 »

This thread will attempt to help new/inexperienced netplay players.
gw15

RE: Netplay Fixes for Common Problems

Post by gw15 »

1.)This is a rare event: During netplay, if one of the computers has a unit on the map but the other computer doesn't show it, or shows it in another place just decide which computer is correct and have that file sent to the other player. Then open the game again with the correct file. They will now be in synch.
2.) Always save a game between every "choose sea box to fight". If you have 20 sea zones to fight in and a problem comes up you don't have to go back. There are lots of auto saves but not during the sea battles.
3.) Do not save during the phases where the players are during their own thing like preliminary production, oil usage, final production. The data is not exchanged between the two computers until those phases are completed by both players.

Centuur - add any comments you have.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

4. As inactive player, do not open e.g. the pools forms while the active player moves units. It increases the possibility to get out of sync
5. Playing without the oil optional rule, you will still see oil being accumulated in Hoikado. Just ignore it.

Centuur

Post by Centuur »

6. If the turn ends, finish all end of turn phases and the reinforcement phase of the next turn in one game session. If you do not, the game might mess up production planning or gets out of sync.
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

6. If the turn ends, finish all end of turn phases and the reinforcement phase of the next turn in one game session. If you do not, the game might mess up production planning or gets out of sync.
I prefer to manually save the game in the Break Down and Reform phases. Those two phases bracket the Production phase. Then is something goes wrong, during Production, you can go back to the Break Down phase. If something goes wrong in the Peace phases (Conquest, Surrender, Liberation), then you can go back to the Reform phase, after Production has been completed.

I also like to do a manual save at the Factory Destruction phase at the end of the turn. During the turn, I like to have the Phasing Side do a save at the beginning of the DOW Majors phase. There are occasions when a player forgets to DOW someone, or to exercise one of the Special Claims (e.g., Bessarabia).

When creating an After Action Report, having all these saves lets you correctly recreate what happened when, since the human memory can 'misrecord' events easily.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Oh, and we always try to remember to save the game during the HQ Reorg or Air Rebase phases if there is a possibility that the turn will end on a die roll.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

Here are the manually saved games from my recent game with Gerry. The 3 columns are for the 17th, 18th, and 19th turns. That corresponds to May/June 1942, Jul/Aug 1942, and Sep/Oct 1942. The number after the I indicates the impulse number. I99 indicates an end-of-turn phase.

When I made the first save, I typed in "G - S - T17 I1 DOW Majors". The program added the prefix "NP - " and the suffix " - CW.GAM". NP is for NetPlay (that keeps these saved games separate from those I play solitaire) and the CW denotes that the Commonwealth was my current major power when I made the save.

Attachments
GSSavedGames.jpg
GSSavedGames.jpg (790.13 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Steve

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

7. There are sometimes problems with the first weather roll in a turn - seemingly hanging the game. Try ctrl-W first at both sides. If that doesn't work, usually the weather roll is autosaved on the allied PC. Send that to the opponent and you can continue. Sometimes during placement of new units a message that a ship is placed in the construction pool disappears when doing something else (like make a screenshot of it), that message blocks progress at this phase.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Do not break-down units at the same time. Just like other phases when you can both do parallel things sometimes the units are switching position (and appearing in each others breakdown place).
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

When loading check the Next Entry # of both saves. If not exactly right, go back to autosaves where you are.
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

never ever do anything else after you overrun a unit such as a naval unit and if you pick up any air unit. but then decide not to use that air unit, undo all and redo the moves

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”