Exporting from the Commanders Report

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

countrboy

Exporting from the Commanders Report

Post by countrboy »

I tried to export data from the Commanders Report, but when I open the file in Excel it's largely unusable due to the formatting of the data. Is there a way around this?
Chris21wen

RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: countrboy

I tried to export data from the Commanders Report, but when I open the file in Excel it's largely unusable due to the formatting of the data. Is there a way around this?

There's a huge amount of data and the export is a simple way of providing access to it by the designer. Once it's exported it's up to sort it. Use column A, which identifies the different section (tab reports), and copy and paste the bits you want to a separate sheet.
countrboy

Post by countrboy »

The problem is that when I open the file all of the data is in Column A. Each line is simply one long string of characters, all in Column A. It's completely unformatted.
I would post a screenshot but don't know how.

deep42

Post by deep42 »

countrboy,

the exportfile is a Tab seperated CSV file. If you use (a newer) Excel you should not use File > Open, but create a new empty Excel sheet, then use Data tab > From Text. Select the file and click import, then set data type to delimited and set delimiters to Tab.

More for example here: https://www.copytrans.net/support/how-t ... -in-excel/
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/support/user-guides/import-csv or check the Excel docs

HTH
Peter
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

And if you are importing into an existing spreadsheet, open the export file in Notepad or some similar text editor and copy-paste.
countrboy

Post by countrboy »

Thanks deep42, will give that a try, sounds like the fix.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

And if you are importing into an existing spreadsheet, open the export file in Notepad or some similar text editor and copy-paste.

I use Libre and it asks you what separator you want to use whenever you open a CSV. I always thought excel did to!
dmh0667FU

Post by dmh0667FU »

Thanks, y'all, this helped, IMMENSELY![&o]

And now to some Data-Mining.....

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”