Soviet Air Groups

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

MattFL

Soviet Air Groups

Post by MattFL »

When I build a new air group as Soviet it disbands another air group. Is there a max number of air groups you can have or something?

Thanks!
Telemecus

RE: Soviet Air Groups

Post by Telemecus »

There is a hard limit. I think it is 600 but would have to check the patch notes.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

what game version are you on ?
With a recent version you should not be able to build groups once cap is reached, in older versions the game engine tries to clear and eliminate units once pilots (both sides) are in danger of producing an overflow (reaching 32k)
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

It's really strange. I was messing about with it again and the first 3 or 4 times I build an air group, it disbands an air group first and then creates the new one. But if continue building air groups up to the max number allowed per turn, it creates the air group without disbanding one. If I remember correctly, you can create 8 per turn or something. Very weird.

I can't imagine i'm anywhere need the maxes for any of this as it's only October 1941 and I have about 5500 planes.
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

Anyone...anyone?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I am out of ideas. But if there were more screenshots or a save at least we could audit it back to either being a feature or a bug.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
morvael

Post by morvael »

v1.11.00 – October 20, 2017
New Features
1. It will be now impossible to build more than 600 Soviet air groups. This is necessary to prevent the game from crashing when reaching the limit of 32000 active aircraft.

It's impossible in the sense that building new air group disbands another.
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

ORIGINAL: morvael

v1.11.00 – October 20, 2017
New Features
1. It will be now impossible to build more than 600 Soviet air groups. This is necessary to prevent the game from crashing when reaching the limit of 32000 active aircraft.

It's impossible in the sense that building new air group disbands another.

I don't think you read the question/issue clearly.

1) I don't have 600 air groups. I have 416.

2) You can build 8 air groups per turn. Let's say I go ahead and form 8 new fighter groups. The first 3 times I form one, it disbands one. The next 5 times I form one, it doesn't disband one.

So the behavior is not matching at all what you're saying it should do. If I have 600 air groups, it should disband one all 8 times I create a new one. It's not doing that.

One thing I've noticed is that it DID not behave this way on turns before I installed Lost Battles. It only started doing this after I installed Lost Battles. I have since updated to 1.11.03 again just to be sure, but this problem didn't exist until I downloaded LB...…

morvael

Post by morvael »

When trying to form new air group the game first looks for disbandable air group. It will be an air group in national reserve with no aircraft that uses an aircraft model that has less aircraft of that model in ready pool than required, where required is (missing+(missing+used)/10)/10 (divisions rounding up). Missing and used is calculated using air groups on the map, in reserve, and arriving next turn. For example, with 100 aircraft in use and 50 missing, the number is 7. If you have less than 7 in pool, first such air group will be disbanded. This starts from turn 3 of any scenario.
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense. So it's basically clearing out air groups that have little to no chance of being refilled because the plane types aren't in the pool or aren't being produced. I had put a few air groups into the reserve a few turns before that had 0 or very few planes....
Saulust

Post by Saulust »

Actually I didn't know there was a 600 Soviet Air Groups upper limit, learn something on the forums all the time!

@ MattFL I think you got it by the looks of it, although it seems much more complicated as described by morvael than I had always figured, but anyway I just wanted to point out the obvious and say that I am careful about what I have in Soviet National Reserve when I create each batch of 8 new Air Groups per turn, usually I upgrade those with too few planes into some other kind of plane type for them fist before creating new - why eliminate one with exp, and replace it with one with little, when it is best to keep both and get that one with exp into a better type of plane.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”