How to repair"can't load this scenario"

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
wzfcns

How to repair"can't load this scenario"

Post by wzfcns »

I download this scenario tm.asp?m=4377913 ,but then find it is impossible to open it on editor or normal play.If anyone have idea to repair it?
As I know the designer A123 was left so that impossible to contact him
....I said:"Isn't this letting the enemy catch us all in an action?We run away for ourselves,How can we worthily of our soldiers?Tell them run for themselves."
-Lieutenant General Du Yuming,Deputy Commander of Xuzhou Anti-Bandit HQ
cathar1244

RE: How to repair"can't load this scenario"

Post by cathar1244 »

I see that message when I try to load the newest version of scenarios because my version of TOAW IV is from 2017 or so.

I think as well, that only TOAW III or newer scenarios can load in TOAW IV. Is this scenario from a version older than TOAW III?

Cheers
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

That link is no good for me [:(]
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
That link is no good for me [:(]

I guess someone didn't get the memo that not using spaces after punctuation is really bad for legibility? [:D]

And no spaces leads the forum to think the whole thing is part of the link...
tm.asp?m=4377913
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Yeah just remove the but.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

If anyone have idea to repair it?

I have TOAW IV, but the older .11 version. I was able to load the scenario after extracting it from the compressed file.

Cheers
wzfcns

Post by wzfcns »

It is a TOAW IV scenarios.....
That mean my TOAW IV version is out of date?
....I said:"Isn't this letting the enemy catch us all in an action?We run away for ourselves,How can we worthily of our soldiers?Tell them run for themselves."
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: wzfcns

Not sure what is going on that you cannot load it. Is it possible the .sce file got corrupted when it was extracted from the compressed file?

Maybe one of the fellows on TOAW IV v .21 can try to load the scenario.

Cheers
wzfcns

Post by wzfcns »

can you save it game and map on xml then send it to me,so I can rebuild this scenario for newer TOAW IV?
wzfcns

Post by wzfcns »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

ORIGINAL: wzfcns

Not sure what is going on that you cannot load it. Is it possible the .sce file got corrupted when it was extracted from the compressed file?

Maybe one of the fellows on TOAW IV v .21 can try to load the scenario.

Cheers
can you save it game and map on xml then send it to me,so I can rebuild this scenario for newer TOAW IV?
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Zip file for you.

Cheers

Attachments
CCW.zip
(780.03 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
wzfcns

Post by wzfcns »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Zip file for you.

Cheers

Thanks a lot!!
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I decided to experiment with this situation using the .31 version that I just happen to have. I unzipped the d/l file, moved the parts to their proper folder locations and asked for a new game. It DOES show up on the list. Now I'll try to load it and see what happens.
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (234.46 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the message I get whey I try to "new game" the file. I get the same message whe I try to load it into the editor for the .31 version.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 290 times
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

.31[&:]
They higher your version runs, the less I like you.[;)]
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

So basically, scenarios saved from the editor with older patches of TOAW4, are incompatible with newer versions? Scenario designers have to do this procedure every time a patch for TOAW4 comes out?

But if so how do any scenarios at all run - was this introduced in later patches?

Wow, if so that's some serious bug [X(]

If would be interesting what happens if a scenario saved in .31 (which is under beta test) is opened in .21 (latest public).

It also would be interesting if someone with .11 (Cathar?) would take one of the stock scenarios, open in editor, save it, then post here for anyone with .21 to open. If it fails, it's not this one scenario, it's a massive bug in TOAW4.

- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
So basically, scenarios saved from the editor with older patches of [TOAW], are incompatible with newer versions? Scenario designers have to do this procedure every time a patch for [TOAW] comes out?

But if so how do any scenarios at all run - was this introduced in later patches?

Wow, if so that's some serious bug

If would be interesting what happens if a scenario saved in .31 (which is under beta test) is opened in .21 (latest public).
I've edited your quote above to represent what's happening behind the scenes. It's been my experience as a beta tester that it's a relatively frequent occurance that a new version is incompatable with older versions. PBEM games among the beta testers have to be restarted as the old file moves to the new version when it's written to the hard disk using the new version. The old version can't read it, no matter the coersion. And to answer your question I just now created a .31 version file and the .21 version successfully read it. I would post a .31 version file for you to play with but I fear my NDA blocks such a move by me at this time. In this case you'll just have to "take it on faith" that what I'm saying has any accuracy at all. Which I'm deeming "the religious approach". I'm listening to "The Who" while I type this. Implicates me as an old guy.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I've edited your quote above to represent what's happening behind the scenes. It's been my experience as a beta tester that it's a relatively frequent occurance that a new version is incompatable with older versions. PBEM games among the beta testers have to be restarted as the old file moves to the new version when it's written to the hard disk using the new version. The old version can't read it, no matter the coersion. And to answer your question I just now created a .31 version file and the .21 version successfully read it. I would post a .31 version file for you to play with but I fear my NDA blocks such a move by me at this time. In this case you'll just have to "take it on faith" that what I'm saying has any accuracy at all. Which I'm deeming "the religious approach". I'm listening to "The Who" while I type this. Implicates me as an old guy.

Sure, it makes sense for saved PBEM games that both players will need to be on the same version because changes have been made to rules and gameplay.

But for scenarios this makes little or no sense, how could scenarios be opened in newer version at all if that was the case? A scenario designer would need to break every one of their scenarios into parts like above, then load into into the new version, then repost to forums etc ... on every update. Designers come and go, and they can't be expected to do this.

Are the stock scenarios rebuilt on every new patch?

BTW, I really doubt the NDA would block you from posting a *scenario* edited in a new version and post for other to load. What it would most likely block is you even revealing there's a new version being tested - but that deed's already done [;)]

But you tested with .21 and it opened there so that's sorted, the problem is loading a scenario created in an older version into a newer version.

- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
...But for scenarios this makes little or no sense, how could scenarios be opened in newer version at all if that was the case?
I fear you may be conflating the saved game file [ where it DOES make a difference which version you have ] with the SCE file which represents the scenario itself. The beta team made great pains to fix the old scenarios that were going to be released to the public to be able to be read by TOAW4, but that did nothing at all to the many "old" versions available for download from various places. I've downloaded all the files that could be had at the recently shut down "Rugged Defense" website and I've spent time off and on converting the "COW" versions of scenarios and then I'm thinking of tackeling those that are written for TOAW III. In my spare time.

I've posted all the "Rugged Defense" files I had as "MegaPacks" in some thread or other, I can't remember now which one. And I still have the files stored on my hard disk because I can't imagine where to upload them, thinking of a dedicated TOAW site somewhere.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I'm listening to "The Who" while I type this. Implicates me as an old guy.
I'm hitting Tangerine Dream right now, so I am also implicated.

Attachments
Tangerinedream2.jpg
Tangerinedream2.jpg (171.2 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”