Ka-25Ts utilisation

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DMAN

Ka-25Ts utilisation

Post by DMAN »

Hi all,

I have numerous Ka-25Ts Hormone B helicopters in my scenario and was wondering how to utilise them.

I see they are used in real life for over-the-horizon targeting, so how can I create a mission that can at least utilise some of their properties?

I could do a maritime surveillance-type mission, but that would be redundant (I have enough shipborne aircraft for that) and a waste, I feel.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
SeaQueen

RE: Ka-25Ts utilisation

Post by SeaQueen »

The simplest thing is to use a "Support" mission and have them fly in an orbit with their radar on. When they detect something, shoot it! :-)

DMAN

Post by DMAN »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

The simplest thing is to use a "Support" mission and have them fly in an orbit with their radar on. When they detect something, shoot it! :-)

I actually laughed. The simplicity, and why I couldn't think of it [:)]

Thanks, SeaQueen!
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Redundancy is good. (Caution, scenario spoiler ahead.)

Playing the Damn the torpedoes scenario from Northern Inferno, I was able to splash the Bear recon planes with my A-4E from the Lexington, but my RN frigate squadron patrolling the western approaches (far away from the Lexington.) was almost obliterated by SSN-9 missiles as a result of Soviet orbiting satellites who passed targeting info to the SSGN.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: DMAN

Thanks, SeaQueen!

You're welcome. If you want to be max out the range of your cruise missiles, you should make it so the range ring of your helicopter's radar extends beyond the range ring of the ASCMs you're cuing with them. Different ships with different radar cross sections will be detected at different ranges, so by pushing the radar range out beyond the missile range, you take that into account. It's usually not a big difference against ships you'd typically care about, but its something to think about.
DMAN

Post by DMAN »

ORIGINAL: Patmanaut

Redundancy is good. (Caution, scenario spoiler ahead.)

Playing the Damn the torpedoes scenario from Northern Inferno, I was able to splash the Bear recon planes with my A-4E from the Lexington, but my RN frigate squadron patrolling the western approaches (far away from the Lexington.) was almost obliterated by SSN-9 missiles as a result of Soviet orbiting satellites who passed targeting info to the SSGN.

Well, this is interesting and it indicates that satellites actually work as hoped. This is welcome news.

Thanks for that, Patmanaut.
DMAN

Post by DMAN »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen
ORIGINAL: DMAN

Thanks, SeaQueen!

You're welcome. If you want to be max out the range of your cruise missiles, you should make it so the range ring of your helicopter's radar extends beyond the range ring of the ASCMs you're cuing with them. Different ships with different radar cross sections will be detected at different ranges, so by pushing the radar range out beyond the missile range, you take that into account. It's usually not a big difference against ships you'd typically care about, but its something to think about.

Thanks again, SeaQueen.

I will design OTHT missions for my Ka-25Ts.
Yet another dimension for the human player to take into account. [:)]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”