New Swedish report on Russian A2/AD capability

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

redcoat

New Swedish report on Russian A2/AD capability

Post by redcoat »

The Swedish Defence Research Agency has published a report on Russian A2/AD capability in the Baltic region.

An introduction:

https://www.foi.se/en/foi/news-and-pressroom/news/2019-03-04-russian-a2-ad-capability-overrated.html

Download the report:

https://www.foi.se/rest-api/report/FOI-R--4651--SE

(115 pages, PDF format)
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
kevinkins

RE: New Swedish report on Russian A2/AD capability

Post by kevinkins »

Excellent report. Almost essential reading. Given the subject, it's pretty easy to read i.e well organized. Thanks for posting. I designed a small scenario a few years ago in which Russia tries to capture Gotland and some systems and concepts I employed were in line with some of those in the report. Cool.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

It’s confirmed this website is banned Hong Kong and China’s IP addresses. I can only view those links via VPN.

Still a good read to understanding Swedish perspectives.
Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

Thank God for VPN. But more to the point, what does China care about the Baltic, unless of course they have the same or similar equipment as the Russians?
Gino
Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

I think I played your scenario a while ago as Sweden. Fun. I remember flying a pair of Gripens a ways offshore Kaliningrad at high altitude to bait the Russians. Finally they fell for it and launched a couple of these new SAMs everyone is talking about (S-400 I believe). I also had a Swedish AWACS-type aircraft orbiting over Swedish territory at high altitude so as to cover the Russian coastline. They detected the SAMs right away so I turned the Gripens around, switched on AB and flew them toward Gotland at wavetop level. The SAMs followed all the way to Gotland and then gave it up and must have crashed in a turnip field or something.
Gino
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

Thank God for VPN. But more to the point, what does China care about the Baltic, unless of course they have the same or similar equipment as the Russians?
Naval doctrines. Hence A2/AD, even though most analysts find Chinese A2/AD is more worrisome than Russian’s, it is still worth to know how Russians did it, especially on iced sea.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

A very interesting article.

Who really knows what the S-400 can do?

Doug
Raptorx7_slith

Post by Raptorx7_slith »

Youtube comments apparently [:D]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”