singapore

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

singapore

Post by IBender »

In the screen shot, I mark a hex to the south and west of singapore. Can japanese troops attack singapore from this side? If so do they have to be marines or can any attack?

Thanks

Attachments
signapore.jpg
signapore.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 136 times
paulderynck

RE: singapore

Post by paulderynck »

Yes they can but only with Marines and they'll be halved and then thirded.
Paul
IBender

Post by IBender »

Thanks a lot.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Right. maybe your doubt might come because it may look as an strait but it is not, the line is the sea division.
jboldt007

Post by jboldt007 »

The ability of marines to attack across a sea hex side is something I’ve come to appreciate ...
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Last game (tabletop) I had the Calais-Dover strait blocked (as a German) but I took the unit elsewhere temporarily and had another on the way, ..., the next thing I knew was that the CW marines had crossed and taken Calais and there was an invasion going on. :(
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Last game (tabletop) I had the Calais-Dover strait blocked (as a German) but I took the unit elsewhere temporarily and had another on the way, ..., the next thing I knew was that the CW marines had crossed and taken Calais and there was an invasion going on. :(

Hey, I did the same thing, but with an invasion of the German marines crossing over to Dover... [:D]
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Yes, the menace of those marines is typical for both sides. But it's only possible with experienced players in case of errors like that one...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Oh-oh. Le gauntlette de la challenge is slapped at Centuur's opponent!
Paul
jboldt007

Post by jboldt007 »

slapping aside- marines are also a good deterrent, or foil, for reasons clear from the above. In current game US marines captured the small islands adjacent to Truk. They have no intention of an immediate invasion of Truk, which is not lightly considered in any event, but their presence is forcing Japan to keep troops in Truk despite the need to move them elsewhere (quite frankly, in the current game, Japan is doing terrible and they might as well abandon Truk as they can’t keep it in supply...)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: jboldt007

slapping aside- marines are also a good deterrent, or foil, for reasons clear from the above. In current game US marines captured the small islands adjacent to Truk. They have no intention of an immediate invasion of Truk, which is not lightly considered in any event, but their presence is forcing Japan to keep troops in Truk despite the need to move them elsewhere (quite frankly, in the current game, Japan is doing terrible and they might as well abandon Truk as they can’t keep it in supply...)
Since the optional rule for US TRS improving minor ports isn't code, Truk is important because it gives the Allies a forward major port. The Japanese should never voluntarily give it up.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Since the optional rule for US TRS improving minor ports isn't code, Truk is important because it gives the Allies a forward major port. The Japanese should never voluntarily give it up.

Not only that, but its an objective. I might remove expensive land units from Truk (if I think I can get away with it) if the Allies already have a better base. I put white print units there, even go so far as putting ARM class/AA/HQ-Hata depending on the situation.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Return to “WIF School”