Oil, Mines & Industry

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
sPzAbt653

Oil, Mines & Industry

Post by sPzAbt653 »

We were discussing this on another thread in the general area, but I thought I would continue here in the design area. I've made changes to reflect the importance of Oil, Mines and Industry. I am on a third playtest, making changes and adjustments as I go. I am having one trouble spot that I can't figure out, maybe someone can tell me where I am wrong.

Industrial Centers/Major Cities are set to 10.
Soviet Factory Moves are handled by separate DE's that are triggered when the Axis approach. The player will get an option to move a factory or not.
If the factory is moved, the original location should reduce from 10 to 6, and I am using the Supply Event to make these reductions, example below.

{
#NAME= DE 426 - Moscow Industry transfer to the Urals [one turn]
#POPUP=
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 426[1]
#COUNTRY_ID= 45
#FLAG_ID= 116
#TRIGGER= 100
#SEASON_FLAG= 0
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#SOURCE_POSITION=
#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 221,65 [4,4]
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 116 [2] [100] [0]
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 45 [1] [100] [0]
}

These seem to work as intended. I also don't want the original location to go above 6, and as resources will gain 1 each turn, I added the following:

{
#NAME= DE 426 - Moscow Industry transfer to the Urals [permanent]
#POPUP=
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 426[1]
#COUNTRY_ID= 45
#FLAG_ID= 116
#TRIGGER= 100
#SEASON_FLAG= 0
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#SOURCE_POSITION=
#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 221,65 [1,1]
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 45 [1] [100] [0]
}

At this point it doesn't work, because the locations continue to drop, all going to 1 as seen below. If anyone can see what I am doing wrong, I appreciate it !

Attachments
653N18.jpg
653N18.jpg (114.05 KiB) Viewed 72 times
crispy131313

RE: Oil, Mines & Industry

Post by crispy131313 »

You need to set up a dummy DE for the permanent script, the way you have it set up now the DE is only checked once so now it is firing every turn. With the dummy script it will only fire on 1 sides turn only.

Also you will have to consider that there may be an unintended consequence here that if Moscow is bombed while at supply 6 it will never regain supply. So a strategic attack will be permanent.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

This is DE 426 to trip the above. So this doesn't serve the purpose, you are saying I need to add another DE ?

{
#NAME= DE 426 - USSR: Transfer Moscow Industry to the Urals? (AI - 100% Yes)
#POPUP= Red Army Headquarters %N%NThe enemy's advance is threatening our industrial resources at Moscow. %N%NWould you like to authorize the transfer of Moscow's resources to safety in the Urals?
#IMAGE=
#SOUND= teletype_1.ogg, teletype_2.ogg
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
;Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
;Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 116
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
; Set decision value
#DECISION= 426
#MPP_UPDOWN= -15
#MPP_TURNS= 1
#MPP_TEXT= Transfer of Moscow factories
#NOTES= Moscow's industry will transfer to Siberia [267,56]
#NOTES_POSITION= 221,65
; Set AI acceptance % (AI will accept 100% of the time)
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 0,0,0
; 267,67 is in Allied hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 267,67 [2]
;Set National Morale Trigger (dummy value)
#NATIONAL_MORALE_TRIGGER= 0 [0]
; Set variable conditions:
; 1st Line - USSR politically aligned with Allies and not surrendered
; Axis units near Moscow
#CONDITION_POSITION= 221,65 [6,6] [1,1] [1] [0]
}
consider that there may be an unintended consequence
Yes and I've been waiting to see something in these past three games, but hadn't noticed anything yet. Bombing is an issue and thanks for pointing it out, and I guess that it why it wasn't done this way originally. But if I am correct, the original doesn't work well either, as when you transfer the factories the resources take a hit, but then regain eventually back to the original value, so the factories aren't really moved I think [:(]

There is so much awesome flexibility, yet we can still find stuff that we can't get as we want it!
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

Yes you will need to use another DE which will only be checked on the Axis turn, which in turn will trigger the supply script only once ever two turns (the Axis turn). Change your 2nd supply script to trigger 427[1] and use the below dummy script.

{
#NAME= DE 427 - Germany: Continuous Dummy Event To Represent Moscow's Lack Of Industrial Capacity (AI - 100% Yes)
#POPUP=
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
;Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
;Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 426[1]
#COUNTRY_ID= 45
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
; Set decision value
#DECISION= 427
#MPP_UPDOWN=
#MPP_TURNS=
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION=
; Set AI acceptance % (AI will accept 100% of the time)
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 0,0,0
; Berlin is in Axis hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 173,74 [1]
;Set National Morale Trigger (dummy value)
#NATIONAL_MORALE_TRIGGER= 0 [0]
; Set variable conditions:
; 1st Line - USSR politically aligned with Allies and not surrendered
; Dummy condition position (always satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [0,0] [0] [0]
}

As for the Ukraine industry scripts, you could make them 10,10 (Type 2) supply scripts and it would essentially kill industrial capacity in the region. And as a work around for Moscow, you could always put a mine(s)/industry directly adjacent (North-East) of Moscow and zap the mine to represent the transfer of industry instead. That way Moscow wouldn't be stripped of supply.

Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Great stuff! I'll get to work on it, thanks very much as usual [:)]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I ended up making Kiev, Dnepro, and other 'initial' factory locations 6/6's. When an Axis unit gets close to each of these locations, a DE triggers to move them east. The move costs 15 MPP's and knocks that location to 0 for one turn. The result is the initial location then gains 1 each turn but really the Axis will over run them so they don't benefit the USSR, and for the Axis they only go as high as 5, so they then are the same as any other Town. Meanwhile, when a factory is moved over to the east by those DE's, a new location starts from 0 and eventually reaches 10 like a normal City/Industrial location. So far it seems to work well. So far [:)]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

While the Resource Values for individual Resources can't be set because each country has one set of Resource Values, one thing that can be done is to not set a Resource on a rail line. In the below case, Grozny is on a rail line, Maikop is not. Baku is on a rail line [and has two oil hexes] but in the pictured case it is Axis Occupied and not yet connected by rail back the Germany, so it is at a lower output. This is good as it represents the Axis having to have a rail line back home to get the full effect [but doesn't represent that the Allies would have destroyed the facilities, but that can be handled with Supply Events].

One negative side effect is that in some cases Resources change ownership, which means the output switches to whatever the new owner's output is set to. For example, a minor oil field in Eastern Poland becomes a Baku when that area is switched to USSR control! But again, those cases can be covered by Supply Events, like the ones shown earlier in this thread.

And I'm not trying to tell Bill or Hubert anything here in this thread, I know they know [they designed it all]. But some of this might be helpful for modders in the future [:)]

Attachments
OM1.jpg
OM1.jpg (64.29 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

That is good to know.

Thanks
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”