How to tell who has re-detected a contact?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ColonelMolerat

How to tell who has re-detected a contact?

Post by ColonelMolerat »

This may be a bit of a silly question, but when you detect something, you get a message in the log saying who detected what, with which sensor, etc.

The map then shows your contact and, if you don't maintain contact, there is an ever-growing 'ring' around the contact, showing where it could be.

When you re-discover this contact, the ring 'resets' and the current location is shown on the map.

However, the log doesn't mention anything.

Is that because the same sensor has detected the contact? (ie, would you be notified if a different sensor picked up the same contact?)

I'm trying to work out if an enemy sub I've just re-discovered was found by the same active sonar that first detected it, or by my much closer sub using passive sonar (in which case I can turn off my active sonar on the other sub).

Edit:

I suppose a more general way to phrase this is: how do I keep track of *how* I'm detecting something, after the initial discovery that gets logged?
magi

RE: How to tell who has re-detected a contact?

Post by magi »

I don't know.... The fog of war I believe....
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat

Is that because the same sensor has detected the contact? (ie, would you be notified if a different sensor picked up the same contact?)

I suppose a more general way to phrase this is: how do I keep track of *how* I'm detecting something, after the initial discovery that gets logged?

Believe that is exactly it, same sensor has recaquired, re-firming up the contact.

Someone started a thread last week or so about visible ways to show who is detecting, I liked the idea of a detection line similar to datalinks are currently displayed.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Thanks! I'll look that thread up!

I'm not entirely sure if it's the same sensor, as I've had situations when I've maintained contact with a target after disabling the sensor that first found it. I'll have to explore further.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

AFAIK you get told which sensor detected the contact on initial detection, but once the contact is displayed then there is no definite way to tell which sensors hold contact. You can however drop the contact (pgdn) and see if it's picked up again with a new sensor. The downside is if it's not picked up, it's gone...
wombat778

Post by wombat778 »

This is something I have wanted for a very long time...the ability to pull up a list of which platforms are detecting the contact, and with what sensor. Seems to me the obvious place for it would be on the "Contact Report" dialog. Seems like it would be a trivial to add (but very useful) addition. I seem to recall one of the devs stating they were looking into it, but I guess it never went anywhere.

Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Probably on the list somewhere still, look at the running poll to see how many items people are hoping for that may come along one day. (in addition to the thousand or so that the devs have delivered over the last year or so)
elcid73aev_ssl

Post by elcid73aev_ssl »

Yes it would be nice to have something similar to the data block in Dangerous Waters or Fleet Command.
wombat778

Post by wombat778 »

ORIGINAL: Casinn

Probably on the list somewhere still, look at the running poll to see how many items people are hoping for that may come along one day. (in addition to the thousand or so that the devs have delivered over the last year or so)

Oh I agree completely, and it wasn't intended as a criticism. The devs have done an amazing job expanding and pushing this sim forward.

Its just that my recollection of this was more specific than a wishlist item. I think this was requested in one of the very first posts after CMANO was released in 2013. I also think I remember one of the devs posting to the effect that it was in progress and would be implemented very soon in one of the upcoming releases. Of course, I can't find that post now, so I may have imagined it...

ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Haha, I always feel a bit guilty posting bugs and suggestions. The devs are doing so much already! On balance though, I figure they'd rather want to know what we want... Even if it feels like we're being slave drivers!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”