World in Flames Preview Pictures!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Philkian

World in Flames Preview Pictures!

Post by Philkian »

Start with three massive Hard-bound Books, two to teach you how to play and one as a definitive reference for the rules as coded, incorporating clarifications and errata from years of working together with Harry Rowland of ADG on this release.
Next, a global map in 24 sections which is entirely tabletop-playable and accurately depicts the world at a consistent scale of 90 kilometers per hex (70,200 hexes) showing all major rivers, coastlines, island chains, and mountain ranges with a printed version that is 21 feet long and 9 feet tall.
Finally, the computer DVD to allow you to play World in Flames on the computer as well as the tabletop, including across the internet against another player.

If you were wondering what to expect from this unique release of Australian Design Group’s (www.a-d-g.com.au) legendary board game, World in Flames, this announcement and our recent “Seven Moments of Wow” should satisfy your curiosity. This is not a typical computer wargame release. Apart from bringing the most detailed and realistic global wargame of World War II to the computer, this release is also for World in Flames tabletop players. The hardbound Rules as Coded give you the best single volume reference to date for the World in Flames rules, in a durable volume. The global map at the perfect scale to be used with the tabletop game offers the first global World in Flames map, which can be used in sections or if you have room, assembled to span the entire globe!

This is the single biggest physical release in the history of Matrix Games and the Slitherine Group and also the most impressive head to head global wargame of World War II ever created. We are all very excited to bring you this unique and exceptional package, which we are certain will be an awesome addition for every World in Flames fan.

If you cannot wait for the release date and you happen by chance to be in Germany today, come visit us at our booth at SPIEL 2013 in Essen. We are going to host the World Premier of the digital version of World in Flames at the show. Only 50 exclusive copies of an Early Access version will be available for a few lucky wargamers. You could be the first on the planet to put your hands on this long-awaited game! Also Harry Rowland the designer of the game will be at the booth this afternoon to sign copies of the Game. Come on down wargamers, you cannot miss this chance!

To locate our booth, please check out the map here, the location is Hall 1, booth D-106.

But how does the game look like? For those who will not be able to visit us in Essen we are posting below a collection of pictures featuring the Books and the Maps, plus a 3D rendering of the complete World Map. Enjoy!

Irish Guards

RE: World in Flames Preview Pictures!

Post by Irish Guards »

faugh a ballagh ..... !!!
IDG

[X(]
Evildan

Post by Evildan »

I logged in on year 1, back in 2003. Logged in a couple 3 times since then to check progress. I just logged in today, first time in about 3 years.
Coincidence? No, a Good Omen!! [X(]

I'm feeling so lucky today, now I'm headed out to buy 500 lottery tickets [:D]
Purge him before he purges you
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Stunning! Cant wait to open the first page.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Hmmm well 4th edition D&D came in at a pretty heft price for the core 3 volume set, but it was well bound. Those look comparable inasmuch as printing is concerned. Likely more artwork here. Anything between 80 and 100 bucks for the 3 manuals is not out of line. Add the typical price of the game, and might as well make it a physical delivery bonus 10 bucks. I wouldn't be shocked or outraged if they ask 200 bucks (Canadian) for it. No idea how to rate the value of a massive map. How the hell would you even ship that? Hell of a big tube and folded as well?

Either way, I am SURE most would be aghast at my casual attitude for a 200 dollar price tag.

My ASL collection is worth if common terms, about 5 thousand bucks eh.
200 bucks barely gets you on the table in Warhammer.

I wish we could order sets signed by the creators.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

The map will come as a stack of folded sections. See the Harry Roland at the Matrix Boot pictures thread for a look.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I just may have to get the maps to line the walls in my office. I have a friend who is a wallpaper hanger and he said he could adhere it to the walls without any problem using a watered down glue. I'd have to do a cutout for the window though, but It might workout that it would fall in the Indian Ocean and maybe a touch of east Africa.

hmmmm.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I just may have to get the maps to line the walls in my office. I have a friend who is a wallpaper hanger and he said he could adhere it to the walls without any problem using a watered down glue. I'd have to do a cutout for the window though, but It might workout that it would fall in the Indian Ocean and maybe a touch of east Africa.

hmmmm.

just paste them right over the window. you will no longer need to see the outside world, once you live in a ... a World in Flames!
G Felzien

Post by G Felzien »

Consider using a magnetic based glue so you can use the game counters.
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: Philkian

Start with three massive Hard-bound Books, two to teach you how to play and one as a definitive reference for the rules as coded, incorporating clarifications and errata from years of working together with Harry Rowland of ADG on this release.
Next, a global map in 24 sections which is entirely tabletop-playable and accurately depicts the world at a consistent scale of 90 kilometers per hex (70,200 hexes) showing all major rivers, coastlines, island chains, and mountain ranges with a printed version that is 21 feet long and 9 feet tall.
Finally, the computer DVD to allow you to play World in Flames on the computer as well as the tabletop, including across the internet against another player.

If you were wondering what to expect from this unique release of Australian Design Group’s (www.a-d-g.com.au) legendary board game, World in Flames, this announcement and our recent “Seven Moments of Wow” should satisfy your curiosity. This is not a typical computer wargame release. Apart from bringing the most detailed and realistic global wargame of World War II to the computer, this release is also for World in Flames tabletop players. The hardbound Rules as Coded give you the best single volume reference to date for the World in Flames rules, in a durable volume. The global map at the perfect scale to be used with the tabletop game offers the first global World in Flames map, which can be used in sections or if you have room, assembled to span the entire globe!

This is the single biggest physical release in the history of Matrix Games and the Slitherine Group and also the most impressive head to head global wargame of World War II ever created. We are all very excited to bring you this unique and exceptional package, which we are certain will be an awesome addition for every World in Flames fan.

If you cannot wait for the release date and you happen by chance to be in Germany today, come visit us at our booth at SPIEL 2013 in Essen. We are going to host the World Premier of the digital version of World in Flames at the show. Only 50 exclusive copies of an Early Access version will be available for a few lucky wargamers. You could be the first on the planet to put your hands on this long-awaited game! Also Harry Rowland the designer of the game will be at the booth this afternoon to sign copies of the Game. Come on down wargamers, you cannot miss this chance!

To locate our booth, please check out the map here, the location is Hall 1, booth D-106.

But how does the game look like? For those who will not be able to visit us in Essen we are posting below a collection of pictures featuring the Books and the Maps, plus a 3D rendering of the complete World Map. Enjoy!

I just want to make sure I read this correctly. There is no AI player in first release, so if I don't like to play multiplayer, I can't use this first release. Is that correct?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

No.

You can play solitare as well. Which means that you play both sides at the same time. I did that with the begining campaign and am currently working through a Global War playing all the sides. To me it is really a lot of fun and I am enjoying it a lot. Plus it is really helping me learn the game through each country's play as each of them are so different. This way I can see the weakness' and strenght's of each combatant.

Of course if you really do not think you would like that type of play, then you will need to wait about a year or so for the AI to be ready. So the AI is not something that will be released in just a few months even though a lot of pliminary work has been done on it.

I hope this helps.
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

No.

You can play solitare as well. Which means that you play both sides at the same time. I did that with the begining campaign and am currently working through a Global War playing all the sides. To me it is really a lot of fun and I am enjoying it a lot. Plus it is really helping me learn the game through each country's play as each of them are so different. This way I can see the weakness' and strenght's of each combatant.

Of course if you really do not think you would like that type of play, then you will need to wait about a year or so for the AI to be ready. So the AI is not something that will be released in just a few months even though a lot of pliminary work has been done on it.

I hope this helps.

That does help, thank you. I guess that's how I played SPI board games for all those years, so I ought to be able to do it for a PC game.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Me too [:)] And this is al lot easier than that too [:D] Also no one is complaining about 'When are you going to get that stuff out of my way?''
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Me too [:)] And this is al lot easier than that too [:D] Also no one is complaining about 'When are you going to get that stuff out of my way?''

"When are you going to get that stuff off the dining room table?"

Return to “World in Flames”