Writing orders question

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Writing orders question

Post by Mgellis »

Quick question...

When writing orders for a scenario, the last section is COMMAND AND SIGNAL. I have tended to use the following format:

Flag: [Name of Flagship]
Recommended EMCON: [the recommended EMCON]

But is this actually correct? Is it "Flag" or "Command" that should be used? Or are they both acceptable?

(Also, should it be "Recommended EMCON" or should one simply specify an EMCON?)

Thanks.

mikmykWS

RE: Writing orders question

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi Mark

Do what you'd like. The descriptions and briefing dialogs have lots of edit features as well.

Mike
bsq

Post by bsq »

EMCON is a policy, not a recommendation - Command is not a democracy [:D]
FireForEffect

Post by FireForEffect »

Are you trying to imitate a NATO op order? If so you'd specify the type of command and who it was designated to. Which ship is designated OTC (Officer in Tactical Command) etc. I've never heard of the use of "flag" in that context.

EMCOM policy could very well be delegated all the way down to the Operations Officer, or OOW for specific sensors.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: FireForEffect

Are you trying to imitate a NATO op order? If so you'd specify the type of command and who it was designated to. Which ship is designated OTC (Officer in Tactical Command) etc. I've never heard of the use of "flag" in that context.

EMCOM policy could very well be delegated all the way down to the Operations Officer, or OOW for specific sensors.

bsq and FireForEffect, yes, thank you. This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. So, it should read something like this...

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Command: Nimitz

Signal: EMCON C - Unrestricted Emissions

Is this the correct format? (I try to get these little details right because I think it makes the scenario more fun for people.) Thanks.

jomni

Post by jomni »

So is there a nice briefing template to follow?
mr_quarantaine

Post by mr_quarantaine »

In my opinion, every order should look like this:
[:D]

[font="Courier New"]
Z090414ZDEC
TOP SECRET THEO
FM: USS DALLAS
TO: COMSUBLANT
INFO: CINCLANTFLT
//NOOOOO//
REDFLEET SUBOPS
1. REPORT ANOMALOUS SONAR CONTACT ABOUT 0900Z 7DEC AND LOST AFTER INCREASE IN REDFLEET SUB ACTIVITY. CONTACT SUBSEQUENTLY EVALUATED AS REDFLEET SSN/SSBN TRANSITING ICELAND INSHORE TRACK TOWARDS ROUTE ONE. COURSE SOUTHWEST SPEED TEN DEPTH UNKNOWN.
2. CONTACT EVIDENCED UNUSUAL REPEAT UNUSUAL ACOUSTICAL CHARACTERISTICS. SIGNATURE UNLIKE ANY KNOWN REDFLEET SUBMARINE.
3. REQUEST PERMISSION TO LEAVE TOLL BOOTH TO PURSUE AND INVESTIGATE. BELIEVE A NEW DRIVE SYSTEM WITH UNUSUAL SOUND CHARACTERISTICS BEING USED THIS SUB. BELIEVE GOOD PROBABILITY CAN LOCATE AND IDENTIFY.
[/font]
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: jomni

I'm guessing it's the "five paragraph" template provided with the existing Command scenarios. I was asking because it is a little different than the one in the manual for Harpoon 3, and I was not sure which one was preferred/most realistic/etc. It sounds like I should just use the one used with the Command scenarios, though.
FireForEffect

Post by FireForEffect »

ORIGINAL: jomni

It would appear they roughly follow the NATO SMESC format. A quick summary can be found here although this overview is army centric:http://kilby.sac.on.ca/activitiesclubs/cadets/Misc/OpsOrder.html

If you really want to get more information this manual could be helpful: NWP-5 NAVAL OPERATIONS PLANNING

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Command: Nimitz

Signal: EMCON C - Unrestricted Emissions

Is this the correct format? (I try to get these little details right because I think it makes the scenario more fun for people.) Thanks.

Best to see if an american can help you out if you want the specifics concerning carrier groups. Naval units would go into operations with a far more extensive set of orders than what's displayed or necessary for Command so really getting it close thematically should be all that matters.

My suggestion would be to at least preface NIMITZ with USS and not worry with differences between tactical command, control etc... "flag" is not a recognized NATO term according to AAP-6 and I've never seen it used in this context.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”