Brilliant Game...

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xPelin, 2xTom

TJD

Brilliant Game...

Post by TJD »

What an absolutely brilliant game. I bought it a couple of weeks ago after long hesitation and I am sorry I waited. UoC has that perfect blend of simplicity and depth that I call elegance. It really is an underappreciated little masterpiece. Well done, you guys! I'm really looking forward to your next product. What put me off from buying it for a long while, frankly, were the unit counters -- the bobbleheads just didn't work for me. I bought the game only after discovering that counter mods were available, but to tell you the truth I haven't bothered to install them.

Anyway, thanks for a great product!

Tim
bigus

RE: Brilliant Game...

Post by bigus »

ORIGINAL: TJD

What an absolutely brilliant game. I bought it a couple of weeks ago after long hesitation and I am sorry I waited. UoC has that perfect blend of simplicity and depth that I call elegance. It really is an underappreciated little masterpiece. Well done, you guys! I'm really looking forward to your next product. What put me off from buying it for a long while, frankly, were the unit counters -- the bobbleheads just didn't work for me. I bought the game only after discovering that counter mods were available, but to tell you the truth I haven't bothered to install them.

Anyway, thanks for a great product!

Tim

I Totally agree!
What a great find. Just the type of game I was looking for.
Looking foward to more DLC and maybe the western front in your next release.
Great work
gravyface_

Post by gravyface_ »

Just bought both off of Steam. Pumped to give this a go!
decaro

Post by decaro »

What an absolutely brilliant game. I bought it a couple of weeks ago after long hesitation and I am sorry I waited. UoC has that perfect blend of simplicity and depth that I call elegance ...

I've heard so much about this game, but what other game does it compare to?

Also, I couldn't find the computer requirements on the product page.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

What an absolutely brilliant game. I bought it a couple of weeks ago after long hesitation and I am sorry I waited. UoC has that perfect blend of simplicity and depth that I call elegance ...

I've heard so much about this game, but what other game does it compare to?

Also, I couldn't find the computer requirements on the product page.

PC System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor:1.6 GHz
Memory:1 GB RAM
Hard Drive:150 MB HD space
Recommended:

Processor:2.0 GHz
Memory:2 GB RAM

Mac System Requirements
Minimum:

Recommended:

Processor:2.0 GHz
Memory:2 GB RAM

Linux System Requirements

The game is worth every cent.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

... The game is worth every cent.

Thanks Trooper, but can anyone compare this title to another popular title?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
bigus

Post by bigus »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

... The game is worth every cent.

Thanks Trooper, but can anyone compare this title to another popular title?

IMHO this title is in a class of it's own.
The game play, graphics, music all blend together to form a highly playable game.
It's worth the money. That's my opinion....
Other's might disagree.
bill hunter

Post by bill hunter »

great thing about the game is its qiuck!........dont have to book into a monastary to play the bloody thing!
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

Well, i bought the addon, too.

And i must say: what a brilliant game! A perfect UI, nice Art, challenging gameplay, the music fits,...

I definitely can recommend it! [&o][&o][&o]
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: hafer

Well, i bought the addon, too.

And i must say: what a brilliant game! A perfect UI, nice Art, challenging gameplay, the music fits,...

I definitely can recommend it! [&o][&o][&o]

Yep and the DLC for $9 ya cant go wrong.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

@ Joe
there is a demo of UoC available. So you could get an impression first hand:

http://unityofcommand.net/demo/

Other than that, I can only backup all the praise UoC gets in the comments above.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I think I am going to purchase this right now. hafer has it right. I didn't care for the puzzle like scenarios as some of them were in the first release. Passed on Red Turn, but this does look very good.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
budd

Post by budd »

If you pick it up post your impressions, i have the first 2 and haven't played red turn yet but the puzzle nature turned me off playing the first one.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Will do. Think ill wait to purchase until the morning though as Im ready for bed.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
PKH

Post by PKH »

I have played about half of Black Turn, and didn't get Red Turn. IMO, it's more of the same as the original. It's a very professional and well made game and can be fun to play, but IMO it's held back by the very strict victory conditions. Once you've found the 'correct' strategy it just comes down to replaying until you get lucky with the rolls. The weather effects which could have been cool if they had impacted the strategy, are in practice just a forced restart of the scenario if they affect you.
I hope they use this game as a basis for something played over a longer time period.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: PKH

I have played about half of Black Turn, and didn't get Red Turn. IMO, it's more of the same as the original. It's a very professional and well made game and can be fun to play, but IMO it's held back by the very strict victory conditions. Once you've found the 'correct' strategy it just comes down to replaying until you get lucky with the rolls. The weather effects which could have been cool if they had impacted the strategy, are in practice just a forced restart of the scenario if they affect you.
I hope they use this game as a basis for something played over a longer time period.

That is what I was afraid of. I wish they could do something to alleviate that because the UI is one of the best Ive seen in a long long time. Thank you for your insight. A sleepless full moon night here, I may have to wait to purchase.

Edit: I just realized the game was only $9 so I went ahead and purchased. Not much of a gamble really.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't for me when creating scenarios:

-I can make a scenario fairly short, with strict (but historical) victory conditions. Some people will like the challenge, others will be disappointed because they feel it plays like a puzzle.
-I can make a scenario longer, where every additional turns gives the player sort of an exponential advantage over the AI, as the AI has a fixed historical number of units and after the opening turns many of them will be gone or in a location where they can't be of much help. The scenario will play a bit less like a puzzle due to the player having more units and more options, but it will also be much more difficult to balance.

It's easy to forget that UoC isn't a game like Panzer Corps where units can magically appear all the time, as UoC uses a mostly historical OOB.

Most of the operations covered in Black Turn were historically also more difficult at the start than near the end. The Soviets in 1941, like the Germans in 1944-1945, had few immediately available operational reserves after the initial disasters. 4-5 fresh Rifle divisions won't stop a Panzer Group.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
PKH

Post by PKH »

Here's my opinion of what could be improved without altering the basis of the game:
- Just have 'take all objectives in x turns' even as brilliant victory. It would allow for alternative strategies and more replay value.
- Make options for predetermined weather or no weather. Currently there is usually no point in continuing if you get affected by it.

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

A question; I just finished my first battle. Didn't take Pskov until the 9th turn. I replayed the some of the battle but then advanced it back to the end of the replay. How do I advance now? The Resume Play button is greyed out and I'm not sure how to advance my campaign.

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I got it.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Predetermined weather would make for an even bigger puzzle, as you would know when and where a certain mud patch would hit, and would place your units accordingly. In my opinion, games with programmed weather are less challenging than those without it.

Take all objectives on turn X like in PG/Panzer Corps would mean the game is no longer historical in terms of when certain objectives were actually captured and encouraging the player to try to do better than - or perform as well as their historical counterparts, just like PG and Panzer Corps. It would give the player an advantage, as the AI would spread out its forces and you would be under little pressure to capture initial objectives that are somewhat removed from the ideal path to the main objective(s). Turn limits for objectives give a scenario a more historical "flow" compared to PG/Panzer Corps-style objectives. Objectives without turn limits are too close to being generic in my opinion.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Return to “Unity of Command Series”