Weapon breakdowns

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

skukko

Post by skukko »

As those early year british tanks were smoke layers, why don't you take main gun out of duty while using MG:s? It is done by either clicking tanks icon with mouses rightbutton and turning red maingun, or by hotkey 'C', which gives you numbers to guns that will fire.

As an German player I'll have to use this to prevent my 88Kwk:s to damage while firing short ranges against infantry and other soft target. It also saves ammo to primary targets.

mosh
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
Belaja smert

Weapon breakdowns

Post by Belaja smert »

Hi all!

I have read from other posts on the forum that the frequency of weapon breakdowns will be cut down by 50% in version 4.6. That is good and I am happy with that revision.

I have noticed an odd problem conserning weapon breakdowns though. I played against a human opponent in an online game (Br vs It) me being the British. The problem was with my tanks. Those early year tanks have no HE ammo for their main guns (as they shouldn't) and this created a problem. When I got an opportunity fire against infantry and chose to shoot at them with machineguns, my MAIN GUNS got damaged! Not the machineguns which fired!

This is in my opinion a bug since if you don't shoot with a weapon it shouldn't become damaged. Has anyone else seen this?

Belaja smert
"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"
Alby

Post by Alby »

Originally posted by Belaja smert:
Hi all!

I have read from other posts on the forum that the frequency of weapon breakdowns will be cut down by 50% in version 4.6. That is good and I am happy with that revision.

I have noticed an odd problem conserning weapon breakdowns though. I played against a human opponent in an online game (Br vs It) me being the British. The problem was with my tanks. Those early year tanks have no HE ammo for their main guns (as they shouldn't) and this created a problem. When I got an opportunity fire against infantry and chose to shoot at them with machineguns, my MAIN GUNS got damaged! Not the machineguns which fired!

This is in my opinion a bug since if you don't shoot with a weapon it shouldn't become damaged. Has anyone else seen this?

Belaja smert
I think i have but dont remember

Belaja smert

Post by Belaja smert »

Originally posted by skukko:
As those early year british tanks were smoke layers, why don't you take main gun out of duty while using MG:s? It is done by either clicking tanks icon with mouses rightbutton and turning red maingun, or by hotkey 'C', which gives you numbers to guns that will fire.

As an German player I'll have to use this to prevent my 88Kwk:s to damage while firing short ranges against infantry and other soft target. It also saves ammo to primary targets.

mosh
Hi,

that is a good solution when it is my turn. However it doesn't help with opportunity fire. I have sometimes done what you suggest if I am _absolutely_ sure that enemy tanks are not nearby. If I disable the main gun what is going to happen when a panzer comes into view? I want to be sure that I can say hello to the bastard with a healthy dose of AP-rounds Image

BTW, what do you mean by "smoke layers" ? Haven't heard that one before.

------------------
---
Belaja smert
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

I think he means that they used smoke to support the Tommies. I read in some book that the early CS tanks had more smoke rounds than HE.

Thanks,
Jeff
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
skukko

Post by skukko »

Battlefront series by National Geography, Battle of El Alamein. Video.

By several history books.

This was answer to were did come *Smoke Layer*.

mosh
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
Thornado

Post by Thornado »

I can see why it takes so long time to repair a damaged maingun on a tank (spare parts, extensive stripping to do repair etc) but why does it take like 20 - 30 rounds (100 - 150 minutes) to repair a damaged machinegun? Is that because a breakdown is supposed to be worse than a jammed belt or something like that? Even if the barrel is damaged it shouldn't take them so long time to change that! Swedish standard for machineguns is always bring a spare barrel (in case of overheating etc)

So my suggestion is an increased chance of repairing small arms (MG's and so on) since it's easier to maintain them. Am I wrong, fellows?

------------------
- You'll never know what hit you -
Belaja smert

Post by Belaja smert »

Hi Thornado,

I think that not only has the chance of a weapon breakdown been halved but the time that it takes to repair a weapon has been cut down quite a lot (in the next version). IIRC different weapons already have unique repairing times/chances.

Jeff Norton, skukko,

About the smoke; did they use it defensively or aggressively? Was smoke used mainly when they had to retreat under fire or giving some cover when attacking?

------------------
Belaja smert

[This message has been edited by Belaja smert (edited January 26, 2001).]

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”