OT: 70 years ago, Singapore fell

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DSwain

OT: 70 years ago, Singapore fell

Post by DSwain »

Dark days, seventy years ago.

I visited the Fort Canning command bunker a few months ago - the so-called 'Battle Box' - which was used as a CP by Malaya Command when Japanese artillery came within range of Singapore Island. Cramped, gloomy, poorly ventilated - it must have been horrific.
Arnhem44

RE: OT: 70 years ago, Singapore fell

Post by Arnhem44 »

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
- Siegfried Sassoon

Lest We Forget
http://www.nhb.gov.sg/battleforsg/

There aren't many physical reminders of that period left and the voices of that period grow ever smaller with each passing year. Remembrance ceremonies here at the CWGC cemetery at Kranji and the War Memorial are more often than not gatherings of vets from the UK/ANZAC although it's heartening to see more locals, and young ones at that attending the past couple of years.

On a side note, starting back in 2009 and going through these next couple of years I imagine there must be a lot of events to look forward to in various parts of the world as we head towards 2015, anyone making or planning any pilgrimages?
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks to the brave soldiers who fought there.  You are not forgotten. 
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

I went to Kranji when I was in Singers in August. I plan to do northern Malaysia back down to Singapore this year, visiting Kota Bharu, Butterfield/Georgetown, KL, Gemas (and jungle railway to Singapore).

I love Singapore - it's like the city planners used SimCity to build the place! It just seems to run so perfectly.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”