Suggestion for a new type of campaign

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Apollo1967

Suggestion for a new type of campaign

Post by Apollo1967 »

OK, I finally broke down and bought this game yesterday and I'm loving the hell out of it! I especially like how the developers added a "Campaign Tree" in the library showing how scenarios break down in the campaign. However, like many others, I would like a campaign that didn't get shorter due to my success.

That's why I'm suggesting that a new type of campaign be added to the game in the future. You could call it a "story based" or "historical" campaign, though the current dynamic campaign would still be available. It would involve tying together as many of the historical scenarios as possible, leaving out the unhistorical "Sea Lion" and "Invasion USA" type scenarios. Your level of victory would not alter the next scenario so that you could do well and still play all of the existing scenarios in one long campaign, begining with the invasion of Poland and finishing with the defense of Berlin in 1945.

This idea wouldn't require adding any new scenarios or changing the existing campaign structure, as the dynamic campaign would still be available. But it would give those gamers, like myself, who want a long, historical campaign the option of playing one with very little additional programming. I would think that this could easily be added in a future patch or add-on.

Anyway, thanks again for bringing us such an awesome game!
Josh

RE: Suggestion for a new type of campaign

Post by Josh »

Good idea.
I remember playing the original PG so that I could play all of the scenarios, foregoing a decisive victory for the benefit of the additional scenarios. Guess the developers of PC stuck with this idea.
I propose leaving out "Seelöwe" and "Invasion USA" as an optional choice, some like it, some don't, but it's always a nice "what if".
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I would like to have an historical option as well. Just trying to do the best with each scenario, tho the war itself is a a foregone conclusion.
Mark
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

It is actually very easy to do - someone just needs to edit the campaign file and post it as a mod.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

Although I like the idea of a historical campaign, I especially liked the old PG campaign.

So I just edited the campaign structure to make such a campaign and uploaded it in the Mods section:
tm.asp?m=2865453

It is long and if you are good (decisive victories), it is even longer.
Although, I didnt adjust prestige and the messages (yet).
Until now its just a new order of scenarios.

Mannock

Post by Mannock »

I don't get the criticism. The game was just as "fast" in PG if you got decisive victories all the time. If you end Britain during operation Seelöwe in 1940 and then the Soviets in 41, you immediately skip to attack on US soil (1943? Don't really remember now).

The difference is you lack a few scenarios such as Crete, Sevastopol, Kharkov, etc, but most of them are defensive scenarios or later than 1941 at any rate and if you go decisive all the way, you only miss out on Crete basically.

So Panzer Corps is in that respect not shorter. Especially not since the invasion of USA is now 3 scenarios instead of 1 as it was in PG.
Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

Decisive Run for PG2 was ~13 Scenarios, for PG3 it was ~19scenarios, afair.
In PC it is about ~10 or 11 scenarios (your choice).

So not negative criticism, just different preferences.

Mannock

Post by Mannock »

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

Decisive Run for PG2 was ~13 Scenarios, for PG3 it was ~19scenarios, afair.
In PC it is about ~10 or 11 scenarios (your choice).

So not negative criticism, just different preferences.

I was comparing PC with PG (the original game) which I think is the most fair comparison.

And you might not have been critical, but others have, hence I threw my hat into the ring. :)
Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.
Apollo1967

Post by Apollo1967 »

Locarnus, are you still working on this? I know you said you wanted to make a few adjustments, so I've been waiting for the final version.
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

ORIGINAL: Avalon

Locarnus, are you still working on this? I know you said you wanted to make a few adjustments, so I've been waiting for the final version.

I will work on it, but rather sporadically.
Eg if someone suggests to change the prestige (or I ll find out myself, but I m only at barbarossa atm and I m rather slow), or if someone wants some victory or introduction changes for atmosphere or whatever (and provides the altered files...), then I will adjust this. But that can be tomorrow or in a week or whenever, I wouldnt wait for it...

If I understand the mechanic correctly, the changes can be implemented whenever you want.
For example you can probably play with an older version of this campaign (maybe even the stock campaign, but the name of the mission must be the same in the stock campaign and the new campaign file) and when the campaign file is updated, the effect should take place as soon as you finish the mission (and the game looks in the campaign file to find out whats next).

Next I will reintroduce sealion40 and rush to moscow as someone asked for them, but that would probably only result in a path similar or identical to the stock campaign.
So I recommend you just go ahead and download the current version and dont wait for updates...
BriteLite

Post by BriteLite »

This game has gotten off to such a great start(I understand PC is the hottest title ATM) it is safe to make a couple of predictions.

Although PC is relatively bug free patches are in the future. PC appears to be not as difficult to update as for instance TOAW3 where years go by before a patch/update is ready. Don't get me wrong. I love TOAW3, but it is a complex game to play and as such is just as complex to update.

PC was designed with modding in mind. Not many games ship with a game Editor included. Also much of the data can be modified with MS Excel, Word and Notepad. Locarnus has already opened the door with his good work. I predict many more will follow his lead and soon many variations will be available from the gaming community itself.
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht is just the first release in a series, expect many more to come the coming years and that is just the developing side, I expect also much more content from the modding community.
Visery

Post by Visery »

I have zero interest in a historical campaign, I worked my ass off beating back the Russian horde and my reward is the invasion of Berlin? You gotta be kidding me. But yes the war should've been longer. Success should be rewarded with more gameplay, not less.
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht is just the first release in a series, expect many more to come the coming years and that is just the developing side, I expect also much more content from the modding community.

I, for one am eagerly looking forward to more releases. Thank you for this awesome game. You've done an extremely good job for an initial release.
What's with the negative waves?
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

ORIGINAL: Visery

I have zero interest in a historical campaign, I worked my ass off beating back the Russian horde and my reward is the invasion of Berlin? You gotta be kidding me. But yes the war should've been longer. Success should be rewarded with more gameplay, not less.

That the basic problem, if you make it "realistic" success leads to a shorter war, of course.
If you want lots of battles for gameplay, you have to keep the fight going although you won some battles.
Eg if you win in Bagration and Balaton, you probably shouldnt have to fight for Berlin again (like when you achieve dec. victory).
But then the campaign is over, no more battles. And since there is no "victory" sequence after you are not crushed by US or R, you may just stop playing after a win in those two which has the same effect as if I stopped the campaign there...

This campaign tree is "optimized" for gameplay, that you can fight in lots of scenarios and dont have to always check back how you must end a battle in order to not miss some scenario...

Simple 2 ways:
1) win decisive all the time => bonus scenarios
2) win marginal all the time and lose at Italy and Overlord => most of the remaining scenarios (historical except for Norway)
Visery

Post by Visery »

Since America is a fictional campaign there should be no issue with making it longer somehow? Being able to play as the Allies would be nice too.
Svantevid

Post by Svantevid »

It would be nice to choose which path to take at relevant points. After Poland, for example, one can attack Norway, go to Low Lands, or attack Russia immediately. The decision also affecting the prestige and equipment available to each side.

Return to “Panzer Corps”