DW bashings at SR forums.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

wozza

DW bashings at SR forums.

Post by wozza »

I don't know if anyone has been over to the Star Ruler forum lately. How ever there is some DW bashing going on.

I don't agree with the bashing's of DW or Star Ruler. Both games have flaws but over time i am sure these will be fixed and have the potential to be a great games.

The developers of both games deserve and need our support. With out these developers we wouldn't have these type of games. We would then have to put up with the likes of EA who would never ever consider making a space game.
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=2315.0
J HG T

RE: DW bashings at SR forums.

Post by J HG T »

After reading that, I got a feeling:

Sounded to me that some of those people hadn't even tried DW. Also, bashing 2D battles! Yeah, Right. And Star Control 2s super melee is rubbish too? Grow up.
I haven't tried Star Ruler but I definetly won't be bashing it because it doesn't strike my fancy. Honestly it looks interesting and I might try it out someday if possible.
Blind hate is one of the things that are just wrong in this world.

Also, agreed with the supporting smaller companies. EA and the like can manage on their own, but smaller gaming companies need the support of the people.

PS. I LOVE the "voyage" from Star Ruler soundtrack.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Igard

Post by Igard »

I agree with J HG T, some people won't try something different because they're perfectly happy with what they have. However, us DW players have the ability to try the Star Ruler demo, whereas the SR players don't have that option. I'm not defending the bashers, they shouldn't comment on something they don't understand.

I tried the Star Ruler demo. I couldn't play the tutorial because my ships wouldn't obey my commands. The part where it tells you to force fire on your planet and then cancel the order, well it wouldn't stop firing after I tried everything, I gave up. So I only really played for about half an hour.

It shows promise, but I'm surprised there's any comparison to DW which is far more polished and has already found 'The Right Formula' in my opinion. I also find that good 2D graphics are better than average 3D graphics.
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

The games don't even compare at this point. SR is still in alpha form IMO.

And I own both. I bought SR on the day it was released.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

It has been my experience that people who bash often do so in such a way that you cannot even communicate intelligently with them. [:-]
Most of the folks in this forum that I have seen usually at least have something to back their views... and everyone, praise God, is polite. It is one of the reasons I like this game.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

It has been my experience that people who bash often do so in such a way that you cannot even communicate intelligently with them. [:-]
Most of the folks in this forum that I have seen usually at least have something to back their views... and everyone, praise God, is polite. It is one of the reasons I like this game.

Most people who bash in that way have the mental development of a 2 year old anyway...

"I don't like it...WAAAHHH!!"

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Well, that's just the way the internet is. Let's not return the favor and bash SR here though, I've also always appreciated the maturity of our community and we have a good relationship with the SR team.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

No worries Erik. I've never been into fighting over apples and oranges myself. I respect and try to understand peoples opinions, no matter how much they differ from mine. Fighting over matter of tastes is just not my thing.
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

I certainly wouldn't call a lot of that bashing. Some criticism perhaps, and perhaps one or two of the guys who commented hadn't played the game.
 But anyway I decided to point out a few of the more positive aspect of Distant Worlds.
 If people are going to criticise the game, they at least need to be pointed towards its stongest points too. Which in my opinion are the resources and the whole civilian sector, as neither have ever been done as far as I know.

But I like parts from both games. There are things that Star Ruler does that distant worlds will never do, and vice versa.

Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Hating this game wont make their game any better.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

Where is this hate you speak of?
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

[font="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif"]Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own.

~Harold Coffin

If they are mocking you are better!![&o]
[/font]
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
robske

Post by robske »

I've been a beta tester of Star Ruler. Basically, they needed the money, to continue developing it. That's why they released it in an 'alpha' state. They will continue to improve it for the coming 1 to 2 years though.

Also, both games have their own qualities. While Distant Worlds was polished right from the start, Star Ruler can adapt to the new realities more easily. I don't think bashing any game is good. For example: I hate WoW myself, but I can understand why people like it. I won't bash it.

One important lesson about the internet which you should always remember: Don't feed the trolls ;)
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Keep the past in mind, act in the present, look to the future.
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

I hate WoW myself, but I can understand why people like it. I won't bash it.

I can kind of relate to that, I suppose I dont hate the game, as I have never played it so that would be unfair, however I simply dont understand the appeal from what I have read.

Ooooh Harold Coffin quotes...
This one is better as everyone wants to be reminded of a naked woman:
Behind every successful man you'll find a woman who has nothing to wear.

//End stupidity.
Zero20

Post by Zero20 »

I don't believe anyone has actually taken the moment to read the thread, it is no different than any other thread on the internet discussing video games; right now this thread seems so way overblown that it casts a negative shadow upon the DW forum itself.  Right now it seems that this thread is hypocritical ( Don't bash back, but their game does suck....), and truly this thread should never have been created in the first place; you don't see a thread on the Star Ruler forums directly bashing DW, do you?

Understand that there are fans of both games on both forums, and both games have their flaws as well as being amazing; if a person finds a flaw with the game, they shall make it known in order to improve their game or another.

BTW: I own both games and love them both as well as lurk on both forums [;)], but I just found this thread to be absolutely ridiculous as I would if it's clone was on Star Ruler.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

We concur. Honestly, this thread should just be closed to prevent any more unnecessary aggression or unintented provocation. Let's just enjoy whatever games we like and shut up.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”