Harpoon Commander's Edition query

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
PongoDeMer

Harpoon Commander's Edition query

Post by PongoDeMer »

How do I manually launch sonarbuoys? This is something that I have read about in AARs, but I cannot find it in the instruction manual.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PongoDeMer

"They said this mystery would never cease: the Priest promotes war, the Soldier peace." William Blake
hermanhum

Harpoon Classic Scenarios

Post by hermanhum »

Go to your keypad and depress the "." (period) hotkey. Make sure that the NumLock is OFF.

If you want to see your sonobuoy fields, activate the "Show Sonobuoys" in the game via the Game Options (Ctrl+M).

Welcome aboard, shipmate. [8D]
PongoDeMer

RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios

Post by PongoDeMer »

Many thanks,

My previous edition of Harpoon was '97 Classic'. This represents quite an up-grade. Are there any particular differences in play that you feel you should bring to my attention?

Regards,

PongoDeMer
"They said this mystery would never cease: the Priest promotes war, the Soldier peace." William Blake
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

Wow, it's been a looong time since you've played, then...

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the Area ECM. Now, when you turn on the radar for a Prowler, it really knocks back the enemy radar and you can hide an entire Alpha strike.

The subs and planes have their own individual sound/radar signatures so they do appear to more stealthy.

Scenarios now have individual SAM sites, gun batteries, etc. instead of having a fixed number for each base.

Scens can now be written for any part of the earth.

Those are some of the Big Ones, IMO. I'm sure that you'll enjoy finding out the others as you play along. [8D]
PongoDeMer

Post by PongoDeMer »

It has been some time...

Another question: one of the criticisms levelled at Harpoon Classic 97 was the fact that it seemed to give CVs and bases unlimited smart weapon (eg Harpoon and Tomahawk) re-loads. Has this been fixed in Commander's Edition?

And another thing:

In Commander's Edition, Brit (UK) CVFs HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales show no photo available. Would the following link, which includes a rather nice artist's impression help - and would Wiki mind if it was lifted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_(CVF)

T72, T80, M1 Abrams Rapier etc etc - Also depicted as NO PHOTO AVAILABLE!
Shurely shome mishtake!

Matrix please take note.

Also is Eurofighter (aka Typhoon) included in any of the databases?

Regards,

PongoDeMer

TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Please check out the HCE forum
 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=305

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

I didn't know that ships had unlimited weapons, but that is not a problem in HCE. Ships only fire what is in their mounts/magazines. Unfortunately, aircraft can still make unlimited re-loads and missions. They are hoping to add a limited ammo feature, but it isn't present, yet.

With regards to DB entries and images, you are best to contact the fellow directly responsible for the HCDB. [ http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=6 ] I remember that getting picture approval was a big problem for them.

Eurofighter is in the HCDB (the one included with the game). You might want to grab the latest edition of it:

HCDB-080712

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... owfile=235

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”