Wargamer votes are in

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Gil R.

Wargamer votes are in

Post by Gil R. »

Wow. Am I the first to notice? Okay, well then, go to wargamer.com and you'll see the results of the voting for the Readers' Choice Awards.

Congratulations to Matrix for Publisher of the Year!

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Prince of Eckmühl

RE: Wargamer votes are in

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

My, oh my, what a stinging rebuke to shill-meister Jim Cobb, front-man for the joke of the year, Distant Guns, from Storm Eagle Studios! Forgive me, if I scrolled the results too hastily, but it appears as though the REAL wargaming community gave no recognition, WHATSOVER to DG, Cobb's inglorious role in attempting to suppress the genuine nature of the product, notwithstanding. That he INTENTIONALLY attempted to use his credentials as an erstwhile/independent game reviewer to silence it's critics is all the more despicable and should for all intents and purposes REMOVE his opinion from the map as relates to the SERIOUS evaluation of wargaming products. For anyone interested in the current disposition of DG, you can eyeball the state of Cobb's flounder here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/distant ... cking.html

Here's laughing-my-ass-off at your buddy's POS, jimbo!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

The right results in the 'important' catagories, IMHO, although I rate Birth of America marginally above Forge of Freedom.

I've never played Distant Guns as the scenario just didn't interest me (Jutland and I'd have been there). You may well be right about about it and Mr Cobb, but the thought does occur that it's poor showing may well just indicate others thought the same as me and that simply more people bought the other titles?

Well done Matrix! It's hard to see any real competition really, considering both quantity and quality. HPS doesn't have the range of product (and presentation always let's their stuff down), Prosim alone can't carry Shrapnel and Paradox only enters the running at all as a wargame publisher because they distributed TC:2nd Mannassas.
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Hertston
Well done Matrix!
Yes, indeed.

The "wargaming-bidness," having imploded in the last decade, has left a lot of folks at a loss as to where to turn for quality products. I would respectfully submit that Matrix is one of the few conduits upon which I (we) can truly rely in this regard.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl
ORIGINAL: Hertston
Well done Matrix!
Yes, indeed.

The "wargaming-bidness," having imploded in the last decade, has left a lot of folks at a loss as to where to turn for quality products. I would respectfully submit that Matrix is one of the few conduits upon which I (we) can truly rely in this regard.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

I'll third what you both have said!
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Awwww Take Command 2nd Manassass beat out COTA Awwwww And Forge of Freedom beat out BOA Awwww.  I agree with the game of the year selection. Kinda think Forge of Freedom shoulda come in 2nd though, but, those people who make 1000 accounts to skew the votes and polls will most always get their titles selected. There was no voting security for this wargamers site voting and when you have no security in voting you will have skewed results like MTW2 winning strategy game of the year. lol That's the biggest joke of the whole feature.

As far as the wargames publisher list, how many "well known" ones are there? But, congrats to Matrixgames for coming in 1st of the usual 3. hehe What they need to create is a "Best Price for Wargames site" award, I betcha Matrixgames wouldn't win THAT one. haha Gogamers 48 hours sales are the grandest and Amazon.com has some excellent sales as well and even NWS has some pretty good prices all the time on most all wargame titles. For instance how many of you know you can get the boxed version WITH manual (of the games that have printed manuals) for the SAME price as others pay for direct download WITHOUT a printed manual? Did yah know that? :)

At any rate I'm glad to see Mad Minute get its place in the spotlight and Forge of Freedom coming in at least 3rd for Game of the Year and Wargame of the Year. It would beat AEGOD's CW game as well I'm pretty sure. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hartford688

Post by Hartford688 »

So, just to understand:

Forge of Freedom should have been #2 in the GOTY category.

The reason it was not #2 is because COTA was in that place.

You state that the reason this happened was "Forge of Freedom shoulda come in 2nd though, but, those people who make 1000 accounts to skew the votes and polls will most always get their titles selected. "

So, you are saying Panther Games fraudulently got COTA rated #2?

I am sure that cannot be what you meant, and is just a case of unfortunate wording.

Re MTW2...I guess it got the #1 slot because a lot of people like it (not because Activision loaded the votes). At the time it came out a number of people slammed it in The Wargamer forums, but it looked like a sizeable majority liked it a lot. I certainly do.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
...For instance how many of you know you can get the boxed version WITH manual (of the games that have printed manuals) for the SAME price as others pay for direct download WITHOUT a printed manual? Did yah know that? :)
I don't know what game(s) you are talking about, but in general, you're looking at a $10 difference. That's £5 in real money to me.

To be honest, I'd rather give Matrix an extra £5 - even £10 - for the same title to help them stay in business and provide me with my hobby. Any more than that and I would take it as being "ripped off" and my support dries up [;)]

I'm not a fanboi. I just like to support my hobby. Being ripped off isn't an option, but an extra £10 for the company that provides me with the titles I have on my computer and enjoy thoroughly....if it helps them to stay in business, then I'm game for it.

I understand that other people may not be in that boat, and I don't judge (pun intended) them for it. And I don't have money to burn, either. Loyalty has a financial ceiling [;)]
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I also think Puresim Baseball should be congratulated for bronze in the Simulation category.

It turned me into a baseball fan and I fire it up almost every night for a quick game.

But congrats to Matrix. Good result on Publisher of the Year (probably due to your dedicated support, listening to customers (printed manuals anyone?) and your wide range of games).
Alba gu' brath
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

but, those people who make 1000 accounts to skew the votes and polls will most always get their titles selected.

Never mind faking a thousand different IP addresses to post it from - at 5 minutes per vote to set this all up it only takes 3.5 days to get your favourite game to the top [8|]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Hartford688

Post by Hartford688 »

I agree...I think the results were pretty reasonable. Might quibble one up or down, but to me no outrageous outliers.

I was off to get Ageod's AACW, but this reminds me to go back and spend more time with TC2M, MTW2 and Il2-1946 first.

And maybe divvy up finally for COTA...I never bought it as I cannot find enough books about the theatre to get fully immersed; but maybe I should give it a go. BFTB is a surefire buy though...where's the preorder page? (Hopefully will still be below Arjuna's true price of $200 though!)
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe
but, those people who make 1000 accounts to skew the votes and polls will most always get their titles selected.
Never mind faking a thousand different IP addresses to post it from - at 5 minutes per vote to set this all up it only takes 3.5 days to get your favourite game to the top [8|]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

[:D] The measures some people will take to achieve such greatness....
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Lol how little you know about the world of botting votes.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

You seem to know a lot about it.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

Admitedly I don't - but I'll look into it for next year's vote just to make sure Battles from the Bulge gets the gold [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Admitedly I don't - but I'll look into it for next year's vote just to make sure Battles from the Bulge gets the gold [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Game series speaks for itself...you wouldn't have to do that. [;)]
Alba gu' brath
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Keke

You seem to know a lot about it.

Yeah, he bought a book about it from the bargain bin once.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

My, oh my, what a stinging rebuke to shill-meister Jim Cobb, front-man for the joke of the year, Distant Guns, from Storm Eagle Studios! Forgive me, if I scrolled the results too hastily, but it appears as though the REAL wargaming community gave no recognition, WHATSOVER to DG, Cobb's inglorious role in attempting to suppress the genuine nature of the product, notwithstanding.

What is your problem with DG? While I agree that everything about this game except the binary code - marketing, distribution, price, patching policy, community services etc etc . - seems to be taken from some imaginary book named "How NOT to make games", the core game itself is very good, and certainly step in the right direction.

So, again, what's your gripe with DG?

BTW, I applaud them for voting Red Orchestra game of the year in it's category.
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

While I agree that everything about this game except the binary code - marketing, distribution, price, patching policy, community services etc etc . - seems to be taken from some imaginary book named "How NOT to make games"...So, again, what's your gripe with DG?

Shall I quote, thee, master? [;)]

Seriously, your comments ALMOST sum it up.

But, let me BRIEFLY summarize...

After my experience with those demos and SES, including an orchestrated campaign at various forums to silence folks who took issue with both the substance of Distant Guns and it's implementation, HELL WILL FREEZE OVER before I buy a game from anyone associated with that project. I believe that the game is currently on patch/version #50. Do you realize that it was folks who actually purchased the software that have gotten it that far? They've served as beta-testers for the erstwhile developer/publisher, and have dutifully submitted game-crash logs and other documentation to the programmer for remediation. Oleg, if that doesn't define a shabby product and business culture, then I honestly don't know what does.

We're off topic, btw. That's largely my fault, and I apologize to our hosts for the diversion, brief as it might otherwise be.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
a white rabbit

Post by a white rabbit »

..yup, Publisher of the year, s'really cool..and honest..

..and t3 made second some-where else, s'cool..

..i'm a bit nurked that t3 didn't get an expansion award, buuuttt, for a nothing special, base-line game what can you expect..

..carry you on guys, and congratulations..
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Return to “General Discussion”