Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Un/Grouping ships into a fleet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Un/Grouping ships into a fleet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/7/2021 3:22:31 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I was wondering which advantages/inconvenient I have to keep my ships grouped into a fleet as compared to having the same ships but ungrouped and managed individually as a fleet, apart obviously that less orders are necessary to manage a group than x individual ships ?
Another way to ask the same question : if I ungroup my ships, what do I lose (e.g. will a group be more efficient in defense than individual ships or it's the same ?)

thx
Post #: 1
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/7/2021 5:47:12 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

Hi, I was wondering which advantages/inconvenient I have to keep my ships grouped into a fleet as compared to having the same ships but ungrouped and managed individually as a fleet, apart obviously that less orders are necessary to manage a group than x individual ships ?
Another way to ask the same question : if I ungroup my ships, what do I lose (e.g. will a group be more efficient in defense than individual ships or it's the same ?)

thx

Defensively there is no further advantage than maintaining a unit position you deemed the most favorable toward defense.
If using land facilities, munitions will transfer from a magazine-type unit to a matching mount. This allows for reloads etc.

Mike

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/7/2021 6:06:38 PM   
BDukes

Just as an aside. Given suitable time and space, ungrouping detected units might be a good move in the cases of facing nukes, opponent salvo size decisions, and enemy missions triggered by the detection. Good things to think about and weigh out.

Mike

< Message edited by BDukes -- 11/7/2021 6:07:46 PM >

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 3
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/8/2021 8:56:17 AM   
KnightHawk75

Another way to ask the same question : if I ungroup my ships, what do I lose (e.g. will a group be more efficient in defense than individual ships or it's the same ?
---

Generally speaking if you're managing the group of ships for yourself (micro managing), you lose nothing really defensively, and gain some control and maybe a few less "why is that ship doing that" situations. Often for long-hauls though relatively neutral or friendly territory I group'em for ease of management (that also keeps them at a speed they can all maintain so they arrive together), but when they get to where they're going, or time for serious engagement I un-group things, an not just ships.

Really all you're losing is automatic formation related controls along with ease of 1 place to set overall wra\doctrine for all ships at once.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 4
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/8/2021 10:43:39 AM   
kevinkins

I think grouping ships into task forces makes it convenient to move them in large scenarios and keeps them concentrated. Tactically, keeping the same ships sailing in the same pattern individually vs. a group does not seem to effect sensor detection or fire control. Maybe it does. Not being an expert, this is a great question. Modern warfare is evolving into one platform detecting and an another firing even though the firer can't "see" what its firing at. GPS etc.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/8/2021 12:36:31 PM   
morphin

I'm not 100% sure if this is still the case, but Sprint and Drift keeps the whole group together better if you have the ships grouped. If you don't have the ship grouped, then often i saw that the distance is increasing between the ships more than if i have the ships grouped. Maybe sprint and drift is syncronizsed if grouped?

Anyway. As soon as the group is attacked with missiles i ungroup the ships so i can better manage (change course etc) and i have better manual control as KnightHawk already mention

< Message edited by morphin -- 11/8/2021 12:38:36 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: Un/Grouping ships into a fleet - 11/8/2021 3:09:53 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks guys for your answers.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Un/Grouping ships into a fleet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI