Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night ID of Commercial-Merchant-Civilian Craft and Lights

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Night ID of Commercial-Merchant-Civilian Craft and Lights Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night ID of Commercial-Merchant-Civilian Craft and Lights - 8/16/2021 9:51:42 PM   
BDukes

Hi

The beach house I stayed at had a copy of Chapman's Piloting Seamanship and Small Boat Handling as a coffee table book. Turns out is a pretty well-regarded manual. Looking through it I found some interesting things about how merchants, commercial and civilian craft use specific lighting to show what they are. This is important pre-AIS as it should be factored into the CMO detection and ID cycle. My suggestion is to perhaps increase the detection and identification values based on the chart below for anything marked civilian and commercial country db value. Note the forward and side values. The mile values are ship-to-ship detection (slant will be different).The edition is 1972 but can't imagine much changed in terms of light standards. There are new editions of this book.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BDukes -- 8/16/2021 9:53:53 PM >

Don't call it a comeback...
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Night ID of Commercial-Merchant-Civilian Craft and Lights Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI