Just finished this scenario yesterday. It’s one of my favorite and I love the length and scale!
There are a few things I noticed. Perhaps some tips and tricks to other people playing this wonderfully crafted scenario. Some are comments on some of the designs, but I believe the scenario is final and I don’t expect any changes,
The file on the front page does not seem to be the latest one which is on this page. I played the one on the front page as I found the one on this page too late.
1. A lot of nasty sub surprises! Don’t let your ships go alone without ASW. A gamey way to get around: subs are slow and have very small detection range, so often the author would place them on the pre set route of surface ships. To get around, just give a little detour to all of your ships at the start of the game and you can avoid most of the subs.
2. I recall reading in the briefing that we are allowed 96 TLAMs (around 10 per day). Those are very valuable! I used them to kill S300s. With enemy AEW down and some terrain masking, I am able to surprise them before their OODA count down is finished.
3. An inherent flaw (or maybe WAD) of the game. I can tell what the enemy ground contact is just by how many units they have (that number next to their icon). For example, 10 or 11 is S300 variants, 7 is aaa, 3 is buk, 6 is Kub. Same for aircrafts radars. A2A short range is Mig23 or Su15. Mid range is Mig29, Su27/33, or Mig25. Long range is Mig31
4. U2 is really overpowered. I don’t really need any aircraft to flyover the recon areas to know exactly what’s down there. It is actually pretty dangerous to have any aircraft, including U2 to do the flyover. The trigger is an area which I don’t think is very ideal given how different recon platforms perform. I am thinking whether the trigger can be detection based. For example detection of a specific marker unit.
5. On the last few days I was tasked to find logistical elements and a tank regiment (or was it a div?) south of Banak and in Finland, and later to interdict them. However they do not show up at all. I even turned on God’s eye and found nothing over there. I also checked the events and there does not seem to be spawn linked to that.
6. The fuel for the front line ships are not really a problem, as I cheesed it and just parked the ships in the PZ without moving except when I resupplying carriers.
7. I may also cheesed CVBG resupply a bit. I parked JFK below Bravo line in Lima along with all the resupply ships. I load up its ac with munitions (had to redirect some amraam capable ac to here for this trick) and fly to the front line carriers, change load out to ferry, and then fly back to be rearmed. This is actually much faster than having the frontline carrier come back. The cv most forward is 300nm away from supply ships. It will take it 40 hours just on travel, and then maybe 12 hours to resupply with Phoenix having a very low priority on automatic resupply list and an excruciatingly slow transfer rate. On the other hand my scheme takes only 7 hours for a trip with 6 ac and 24 Phoenix or 36 amraam, and JFK is being fed munitions at all time. I also used this trick to put all amraam b on ark royal without it ever moving.
8. I did not check every carrier but at least Vinson and JFK do not have naval mine entry in their magazine, and would not load them until I added such entries through editor.
9. Phoenix is not really in shortage. I have plenty of them by the end of the game. Actually I have way more of them than amraam by the end. I only use them for Mig31 and high value big planes might be the reason. On the other hand, Su27 drains my amraam really fast and I am out of resupply by the end.
10. I degraded enemy to the point that they lost all Mig31, AEW and jammers. Their AEW and jammers travel behind the SAM line in Norway. Two insertion points I found: 1. Between bodo and evens there is a gap where S300 cannot reach you. Enemy Mig31 can only come from far east which gave you some time to deal with HVT. Con is that Barduoss can respond with Su27. 2. North Cape after taking out Mig31 patrolling there. Their replacement takes a while to get there from Northern Fleet HQ. Con is that there are some Mig31 in Banak and it is very close to Su27 CAP from HQ. After constantly degrading Mig31 and a few hit and run forays I took out all the HVT and it seems the enemy only have very limited replacements which I exhausted.