Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Calculating LCU movement rate

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Calculating LCU movement rate Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/10/2008 7:33:22 AM   
Alfred

Gentlemen,

Ever since patch 1.6 which adopted AB's hex fix, I have never been quite certain about how to apply the movement rates to LCU in determining the ETA.

Assume that an infantry LCU moves at its optimal daily rate as follows:

trail - 5 miles (mpd)
road - 30 miles (mpd)
railway - 90 miles (mpd)

Now assume that the infantry LCU commences its march from

(A) a railway hex
(B) the next hex it will move into is a trail hex
(C) then a road hex
(D) then a trail hex
(E) arrives at its destination which is a trail hex.

In moving from (A) to (B) does the unit travel at 90 mpd (the rate of the hex it is moving from) or at 5 mpd (the rate of the hex it is moving into)?

In the above example if we calculate the march at the rate of the hexes it is moving from, then the optimal time taken for the 240 mile march distance is derived from:

ETA 1

90 mpd + 5 mpd + 30 mpd + 5 mpd = (2/3 of day) + (12 days) + (2 days) + (12 days)

but if the ETA is based on the march rate of the hex being moved into then:

ETA 2

5 mpd + 30 mpd + 5 mpd + 5 mpd = (12 days) + (2 days) + (12 days) + (12 days)

In this example, ETA 1 is 27 days approximately (no allowance made for fatigue etc). whereas ETA 2 is 36 days approximately.

The answer is probably fairly obvious, but somehow it has never quite sunk into my consciousness.

Alfred
Post #: 1
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/10/2008 8:25:14 AM   
Yamato hugger

Well, I have seen different results and cant pin it down to: this is whats happening. I CAN however pin it down to: this is what I think its doing.

If you start in a hex and order a unit (as you say to move along a trail) it will move at trail speed (5mpd before other mods). However, and this is a big however, if the unit is moving into what you have for a start hex from another hex along a rail line (in this example), it will continue to use rail speed (or road) until you change types.

So in your example, if you add 1 more hex and make it a rail as well, you would actually move at rail speed until you got into the trail hex. But to answer your question, no, you would move at trail speed from the start in your example.

Edit:
5mpd to get to B, 5mpd to get to C, 30mpd to get to D, 5mpd to get to E - Kinda like your #2, but different.

If you add a hex you move at 90mpd to A, 90mpd to B, 5mpd to C (but you get whatever leftover rail speed was left from your move to B which could be as much as 45 miles), 30mpd to D, and 5mpd to E.

Kind of like the difference between a running broad jump vs a standing broad jump (not to be confused with jumping a broad )

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 5/10/2008 8:35:21 AM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 2
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/10/2008 3:03:27 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Gentlemen,

Ever since patch 1.6 which adopted AB's hex fix, I have never been quite certain about how to apply the movement rates to LCU in determining the ETA.

trail - 5 miles (mpd)
road - 30 miles (mpd)
railway - 90 miles (mpd)

(A) a railway hex
(C) then a road hex
(D) then a trail hex

In moving from (A) to (B) does the unit travel at 90 mpd (the rate of the hex it is moving from) or at 5 mpd (the rate of the hex it is moving into)?

In all cases, the unit moves at the rate of the hex it is moving from. What is in the hex it is moving to has no bearing on the movement rate.

Railways, roads and trails are assumed to extend to all adjacent hexes except for certain circumstances - the main one being that a railway will not extend to another hex containing a railway unless there is one actually drawn between the two hexes connecting them.

In your example, the unit will move 90 miles/day when moving from hex A to hex B.

Andrew

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 5/10/2008 3:17:53 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/11/2008 6:13:00 AM   
Alfred

Thanks, AB, I knew there had to be a simple answer.

Alfred

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 4
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/11/2008 8:49:46 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Gentlemen,

trail - 5 miles (mpd)
road - 30 miles (mpd)
railway - 90 miles (mpd)

(A) a railway hex
(C) then a road hex
(D) then a trail hex

In all cases, the unit moves at the rate of the hex it is moving from. What is in the hex it is moving to has no bearing on the movement rate.

Railways, roads and trails are assumed to extend to all adjacent hexes except for certain circumstances - the main one being that a railway will not extend to another hex containing a railway unless there is one actually drawn between the two hexes connecting them.

In your example, the unit will move 90 miles/day when moving from hex A to hex B.

Andrew

So how does low support or low supplies affect movement?

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 5
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/11/2008 9:06:47 AM   
herwin

Interesting. For strategic planning purposes, we used 15 miles per day in open or rolling settled countryside. 5 mpd was more appropriate for jungle or hilly or areas without settlement.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 6
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/11/2008 2:27:16 PM   
Andrew Brown

I just spotted an error in my first reply...

quote:

...should actually read (with additions in bold)...

quote:

On my map (and on the stock map post patch 1.6), railways, roads and trails are assumed to extend to all adjacent hexes that also contain railway/roads/trails except for certain circumstances - the main one being that a railway will not extend to another hex containing a railway unless there is one actually drawn as a connection between the two hexes.

(also I modified it a bit for clarity). Sorry for the confusion...

Andrew

Post #: 7
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/12/2008 3:57:58 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Gentlemen,

trail - 5 miles (mpd)
road - 30 miles (mpd)
railway - 90 miles (mpd)

(A) a railway hex
(C) then a road hex
(D) then a trail hex

Andrew

So how does low support or low supplies affect movement?

both can lead to less than the maximum the unit can travel.
morale can impede movement as well but even a unit with 0 morale will move at least 1 mile per day.(thanks nomad you smartass )
units with low morale( 5 iirc) and high disruption(90 iirc) cannot enter enemy occupied hexes.

< Message edited by Gem35 -- 5/12/2008 4:08:36 AM >

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 8
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/12/2008 4:02:48 AM   
Nomad

Why bother?

< Message edited by Nomad -- 5/12/2008 4:22:29 AM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 9
RE: Calculating LCU movement rate - 5/12/2008 4:09:21 AM   
Gem35

thanks captain obvious....
I think we all knew I meant 1 mile.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Calculating LCU movement rate Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI