The hefty expansion to the highly touted Kharkov engine is now rolling across the steppes
Matrix Games and Strategic Studies Group (www.ssg.com.au) are thrilled to release Across the Dnepr: Second Edition! Now gamers can enjoy an improved and infinitely replayable version of the classic Across the Dnepr scenario on the acclaimed Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets game engine. To mark the release, the conclusion to an in-depth AAR for Across the Dnepr: Second Edition has been released. Be sure to check out the first part as well!
Across the Dnepr: Second Edition is an expansion and requires Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets in order to play. A 1.20 update for Kharkov is being released concurrently which includes the same engine improvements and the three free secondary scenarios available in Across the Dnepr: Second Edition.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “SSG is really showing their commitment to the continued success of the Kharkov engine. Apart from the premier Across the Dnepr mega-scenario, which is one of the best operational challenges in wargaming, the 3 additional scenarios included to showcase the engine are also engaging, epic in scale, and a ton of fun!”
Can the Blitzkrieg be stopped?
July 1941: Four mighty German armies have smashed through the Soviet frontier defences, and are aimed directly at Moscow. Before Moscow can fall, Smolensk must be taken. The Red Army, recovering from the initial onslaught and reinforced by Stalin has been ordered to counterattack the unsuspecting Germans. This massive collision of forces produces a maelstrom of men and machines. For the Germans, delay at Smolensk equals defeat at Moscow. For the Red Army, no price is too high to pay.
Across the Dnepr: Second Edition revisits a classic on a new system. Created from the ground up as an expansion for SSG’s latest acclaimed game engine, Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets, the Second Edition of Across the Dnepr includes Areas of Operations, the latest AI programming and multiple Mystery Variants to keep gamers guessing. The Across the Dnepr: Second Edition package also includes three free scenarios, Operation Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd, also released with the latest update to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets. Running on a proven wargaming engine hailed as “a real strategy heavyweight” by critics, these new and recharged scenarios illustrate just what can be done with the powerful editing tools included in SSG’s new series.
- Huge new 20 day campaign based on the classic Across the Dnepr campaign from a previous award winning SSG title
- Includes 3 free scenarios in addition to the Across the Dnepr mega-scenario: Operation Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd
- Improved AI
- Multiple scenario variants to keep gamers guessing - choose to fight a scenario historically or choose to randomize the variants to keep things unpredictable!
- User Interface refinements to further improve on the time-tested and acclaimed SSG game system
- A new (and brutal) unit is now available, Russian NKVD, which can be used to prevent other units from retreating!
- Across the Dnepr: Second Edition is an expansion and requires Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets in order to play.