Question on relocate

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm is a grand tactical wargame set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on the year 1989.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Tcao

Question on relocate

Post by Tcao »

Try to understand why my PzG inf plt refuse to relocate when the enemy is in the stand-off range or the parameter should trigger the relocate
lesson of war 1.jpg
lesson of war 1.jpg (472.31 KiB) Viewed 465 times
2/2/102 set at standoff range 2, relocate when spot the enemy
lesson of war 2.jpg
lesson of war 2.jpg (478.29 KiB) Viewed 465 times
1/2/102 set at stand off range 1, but will relocate when taking any fire
lesson of war 3.jpg
lesson of war 3.jpg (635.91 KiB) Viewed 465 times
neither relocate at the end of the turn.

******************************************************************************************************

Also, just my first impression, looks like Marder IFV will not fire Milan ATGM on enemy IFV even they have full ammo stock (they will fire Milan at enemy tanks)
actrade

Re: Question on relocate

Post by actrade »

Two things.

1. I noticed from your pics you show just the default SOP. Is there a chance your order SOP is different?

2. There is currently a bug with the relocate and standoff range where it defaults to the default SOP stand off range regardless of what you have your order SOP set to. Devs have a fix that I've been told will hopefully deploy next week.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

The order's SOP bug is not it. I would say that the problem is that you have acceptable losses set at "Do or Die". SOPs settings can interfere with each other. You have to get them to work together. If you want you unit to relocate in the face of the enemy, don't tell him he is on a suicide mission of Do or Die. Try a more reasonable/lesser Acceptable Losses setting. Also, giving a unit a tactical initiative of None will lower their chance to scoot/relocate.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
Tcao

Post by Tcao »

cbelva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 pm The order's SOP bug is not it. I would say that the problem is that you have acceptable losses set at "Do or Die". SOPs settings can interfere with each other. You have to get them to work together. If you want you unit to relocate in the face of the enemy, don't tell him he is on a suicide mission of Do or Die. Try a more reasonable/lesser Acceptable Losses setting. Also, giving a unit a tactical initiative of None will lower their chance to scoot/relocate.
Just change "Do or die" still won't work.
I think I find the cause of the issue
change SOP through SOP manager doesn't change current order's SOP. The screen order still stuck with old SOP.

SO you got to either change the order SOP or issue a new screen order
screen order.jpg
screen order.jpg (268.64 KiB) Viewed 422 times
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

What you said is true. You have to make sure that the current order has the right SOP values. Changing the Default SOP will not change the current order unless you select the bottom "Apply to" button, "Apply to this and later orders". That will populate the changes you made to the default SOP to the underlying orders. SOPs can be tricky.
Charles Belva
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Better yet, post the saved game file if possible so that we can look at it. I want to make sure that nothing else is happening.
Charles Belva
Tcao

Post by Tcao »

cbelva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:31 pm Better yet, post the saved game file if possible so that we can look at it. I want to make sure that nothing else is happening.
here it is
Saved low.zip
(512.24 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

I think that was it. It is a combination of the order's SOP not being changed and the SOP bug that actrade mentioned. I can get them to relocate by making sure the order's SOP is correct and I'm also using an updated version where the SOP bug is fixed.
Charles Belva
HeinzHonokaPepperoni

Post by HeinzHonokaPepperoni »

Could I intrude on this thread to avoid opening a very similar one? I have the opposite issue. My infantry just keeps relocating in the face of the enemy, getting slaughtered by BMPs instead of fighting in favourable terrain. What am I doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/apLKtRs

I'm starting to tear my hair out.
In case the screenshot doesn't load for some reason, here's the SOP:
Tactical Initiative: Slight
Acceptable Losses: Do or Die
Preferred Stand-off range: 0
Relocate: never
actrade

Post by actrade »

That is most likely the bug I was talking about. Try this: set both your default SOP and order SOP with a preferred range of zero and see if they still relocate. What the bug is that if your order SOP is set as preferred range of zero but your default SOP is set at 2, the order SOP is NOT working as intended and just mimicking the preferred range from the default SOP. (and possibly vice versa as I notice your default SOP looks to be set to zero). A fix is said to be incoming next week. If both SOPs are set at zero for preferred range then I don't know what to tell you.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Let's wait until after the patch is released and revisit this. From your picture I can't tell what the SOP settings are for the unit that is scooting. This is something that is confusing players. There are two tiers of SOPs. The Default SOP setting which only effects new orders given to the unit after the SOP settings were applied. The second tier are the Specific Orders (such as hold, screen, assault, etc) SOPs. In the top of the SOP manager is the Scope. If you select it, you can bring up the SOP settings for all the orders that unit has. That is the SOP that the units will follow while executing its order.
Charles Belva
HeinzHonokaPepperoni

Post by HeinzHonokaPepperoni »

cbelva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 pm Let's wait until after the patch is released and revisit this. From your picture I can't tell what the SOP settings are for the unit that is scooting. This is something that is confusing players. There are two tiers of SOPs. The Default SOP setting which only effects new orders given to the unit after the SOP settings were applied. The second tier are the Specific Orders (such as hold, screen, assault, etc) SOPs. In the top of the SOP manager is the Scope. If you select it, you can bring up the SOP settings for all the orders that unit has. That is the SOP that the units will follow while executing its order.
Gonna answer to both at once:
I applied the same settings to both the default SOP and the orders I gave just to be sure (Since I setup the SOP after giving out the orders to move.) The unit dashboard confirms the settings are in as I wanted em, the application is what's lacking. At some point in the battle they stopped relocating but alas I had already lost two whole platoons to senseless runnings into open fields from the nice urban enviroments those troops were dug in.

Seems to me at glance that any modification to orders SOPs just doesn't apply. So if I tell someone to move and then I go into the panel to tell them to not relocate, they'll ignore this change completely. Just to be clear, this all in the span of the same order phase, or hell, even in deployment phase.
Issuing new orders seems to get them to respect my orders.
Probably some more testing is to be done.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

There is a bug and it should be squashed in the patch.
Charles Belva
Tcao

Post by Tcao »

So, for now should we make sure the default SOP and order SOP have the same setting?

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm”