Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - v1.25.00

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

BillRunacre

Re: Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - v1.25.00

Post by BillRunacre »

Ajunta Pall wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:20 pm I have some questions concerning bad weather air attacks:

Does the 50% effectiveness also mean that recon missions will have a 50% likelihood of not detecting enemy units? Or do they just perform like in good weather?
One of the main advantages of air attacks is to reduce entrenchment. Does de-entrenchment in bad weather conditions just work like in good weather or is there a 50% chance that no de-entrenchment occurs?
And what about de-moralization? Is this value of de-moralization cut to half or is it fully applied?

Thanks in advance :-)
It only affects the chance of losses, i.e. things like reconnaissance and demoralization remain the same, but the actual losses suffered will be halved.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

BillRunacre wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 pm
Tanaka wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:50 am
Does the above apply to Battleships as well or was this already the case?
It was already the case, this change just extends that further to Cruisers too.
Fantastic changes thanks!
Ajunta Pall

Post by Ajunta Pall »

BillRunacre wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:45 pm
Ajunta Pall wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:20 pm I have some questions concerning bad weather air attacks:

Does the 50% effectiveness also mean that recon missions will have a 50% likelihood of not detecting enemy units? Or do they just perform like in good weather?
One of the main advantages of air attacks is to reduce entrenchment. Does de-entrenchment in bad weather conditions just work like in good weather or is there a 50% chance that no de-entrenchment occurs?
And what about de-moralization? Is this value of de-moralization cut to half or is it fully applied?

It only affects the chance of losses, i.e. things like reconnaissance and demoralization remain the same, but the actual losses suffered will be halved.
Thanks für your reply!

Most of the time I dont use air strikes to damage units, but to soften (de-entrenchment and de-moralization) them up for ground attack. It seems to me that it is now better to attack in bad weather than in good weather, as losses (I mean own losses of bombers) are cut half but the softening effect still remains the same.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Ajunta Pall wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:58 am
BillRunacre wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:45 pm

Thanks für your reply!

Most of the time I dont use air strikes to damage units, but to soften (de-entrenchment and de-moralization) them up for ground attack. It seems to me that it is now better to attack in bad weather than in good weather, as losses (I mean own losses of bombers) are cut half but the softening effect still remains the same.
Yes it would seem so. This is a huge change. Was just curious what brought up this change to let all air attacks in all weather now? Seems kind of unrealistic? Is there a thread about this somewhere?
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Each turn is 7, 11 or 21 days long, so unless the bad weather is for all of that time, I can imagine the squadrons getting in an attack or two in that time, albeit with reduced effectiveness.
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Tanaka wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:46 pm Yes it would seem so. This is a huge change. Was just curious what brought up this change to let all air attacks in all weather now? Seems kind of unrealistic? Is there a thread about this somewhere?
I think there have been countless complaints and discussions about the weather over the years, particularly the perceived unfairness of it, with sometimes it being thought that the AI was cheating when it had good weather and the player didn't (it wasn't) or there being frustration that both sides didn't have the same weather over consecutive turns.

El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Yes, I was one of them until I realised that if the same weather occurred on both the Allied and Axis turns it would give the Axis a huge advantage - they would have 100% meteorological accuracy for the Allied turn!
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

El_Condoro wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:04 am Each turn is 7, 11 or 21 days long, so unless the bad weather is for all of that time, I can imagine the squadrons getting in an attack or two in that time, albeit with reduced effectiveness.
That is a fair point.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

BillRunacre wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:39 pm
Tanaka wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:46 pm Yes it would seem so. This is a huge change. Was just curious what brought up this change to let all air attacks in all weather now? Seems kind of unrealistic? Is there a thread about this somewhere?
I think there have been countless complaints and discussions about the weather over the years, particularly the perceived unfairness of it, with sometimes it being thought that the AI was cheating when it had good weather and the player didn't (it wasn't) or there being frustration that both sides didn't have the same weather over consecutive turns.
I see now ok thanks. Will be interesting to see how it plays out now...
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

El_Condoro wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:27 pm Yes, I was one of them until I realised that if the same weather occurred on both the Allied and Axis turns it would give the Axis a huge advantage - they would have 100% meteorological accuracy for the Allied turn!
Another fair point as I guess this is now prevented.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

I for one liked how the weather system worked before. Inclimate weather in WW2 grounded air operations. There wasn't any 'all weather' air capability like more modern times.
Possibly theres an abstraction here though...a break in the clouds or an alternate target.
Well, I guess we shall find out now.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
george420

Post by george420 »

Nice, thanks. :)
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I withdraw my comment regarding subs.
The ability of CVs to run air ops in storms is more than enough to balance out the other changes.
Subs will get no respite, and it will get particularly nasty once CVLs start showing up.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

The CVs getting their full vision in bad weather is a huge advantage.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Russian Armored Trains can now be upgraded to INF Weapons 3.

Is that intended or a bug?
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Taxman66 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 pm Russian Armored Trains can now be upgraded to INF Weapons 3.

That's not intentional, and sounds odd as I haven't touched them for ages.

I'll take a look, thanks for mentioning it.

Scottydawg

Post by Scottydawg »

Honestly, after playing both sides with these new "all-weather" air attack rules it is simply too much for the USSR in 1941-42. These rules might be a better representation of realism if only the strategic bomber and [maybe] the mariner long range air units were all-weather. These units are the only REAL all-weather capable air units during WW2. And what of the CVs and the changes to subs...? Isn't this particular [absolutely wonderful] scenario suppose to maintain a level of balance? Please consider...Thanks.
By autumn we stood with our backs to the town of Orel
Closer and closer to Moscow they come...

Duedman

Post by Duedman »

Scottydawg wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:03 pm Honestly, after playing both sides with these new "all-weather" air attack rules it is simply too much for the USSR in 1941-42. These rules might be a better representation of realism if only the strategic bomber and [maybe] the mariner long range air units were all-weather. These units are the only REAL all-weather capable air units during WW2. And what of the CVs and the changes to subs...? Isn't this particular [absolutely wonderful] scenario suppose to maintain a level of balance? Please consider...Thanks.
I just started my first MP after the patch and I'm also a bit worried. Bad weather is going to be so good for the Axis because usually the main job of bombers is de-trenching and morale damage. For the price of some damage to themselves.
But now they can weaken enemy positions with less risk of taking damage. Bad weather favoring air attacks seems very odd to me.

Could these effect be weakened maybe? Morale Damage halved and de-entrenching in bad weather needs Ground Attack Weapons lvl3 researched?
Duedman

Post by Duedman »

BillRunacre wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:09 pm
Taxman66 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 pm Russian Armored Trains can now be upgraded to INF Weapons 3.

That's not intentional, and sounds odd as I haven't touched them for ages.

I'll take a look, thanks for mentioning it.
Btw. Russian Mechanized Infantry also gets lvl3 Guns now. I think thats not intended either.

I even wanna take it in my current MP game since all weather bombers, nigh unkillable subs and super vulnerable Stratbombers really buff Axis a lot.

Maybe now that the bombers get significant damage in every mission it would be good to lower their cost by a bit?
Duedman

Post by Duedman »

Oh, Russian Garrisons too haha.
Shock Armies on the other hand lost their damage buff for mobility (and do not get lvl3 guns)

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”