Is Diplomacy worth it?

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

Hrulj

Is Diplomacy worth it?

Post by Hrulj »

Trying to get Sweden or Spain into CP is it possible and is it worth it considering the investment?
mdsmall

Re: Is Diplomacy worth it?

Post by mdsmall »

Check out the build limits for both of those minors. They bring few resources to you side and do not much improve your strategic position. Unlike the WW2 games, WW1 era Spain is particularly weak and with both Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire on your side, the CP already has a solid position in the Mediterranean. The German fleet already dominates the Baltic, so the only reason to try to swing Sweden to the CP is if you want to try to capture Norway and use its ports to resupply your subs. The much more important targets for diplomacy by the Central Powers are Bulgaria (to gain a rail link to the Ottomans) and the Netherlands (to defend the supply German food imports worth 60 MPPs a turn).
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

Offensive diplomacy is usually not worth it as CP, and as mdsmall already said you're gonna need your chits to counter Entente diplo most of the time.
Sweden in particular is absolutely not worth it as you'll just gain the same income as the convoy gives anyway.
havoc1371

Post by havoc1371 »

I'll spend on diplomacy to remove Norway or Sweden mpp's to Germany, or shift Netherlands away to impact German morale. Belgium if the CP player has opted to keep Belgium neutral and go at Russia first. If nothing else, it causes the CP player to spend on countering instead of replacing losses. I've also spent on Romania to hurry them along if Russia is in trouble. Usually when I've got a nation with 50 pts and nothing I want to purchase or research.
rockmanbob123

Post by rockmanbob123 »

as the CP you need to spend on Norway if the Entente is nor raiding the shipping lines....that means they are wooing Norway. Otherwise the CP only counters the Entente diplomacy

The Entente is in a tough spot in 1914-15 as resources are limited. But depending on CP play I think the best options are 1. Norway easy to move to neutral and if the CP does not counter can actually provide income. (note do not raid Norway shipping) 2. If the CP decides to go slow on the balkan front then keeping Bulgaria out is useful. Buy that means you need to hold Belgrade for several turns and have the entire serb army ready on the fallback lines. 3. Netherlands is a great play but you will need 5 chits here as the CP will need to respond as soon as the Dutch start turning. 4. Denmark Only if you have spare coin and if you can spend here you probaly are already going to win

Spending anywhere else is probably not going to get more than you spend.

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”