1.06.59 "unofficial" update

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

simovitch

1.06.59 "unofficial" update

Post by simovitch »

Here is a dropbox link to the 1.06.59 update. Download 1.0659.zip, unzip and overwrite your current "btr.exe" in your main EDBTR folder with this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5qygnlvl8z0u ... 9.zip?dl=0

This is basically the 1.06.58 unofficial patch with the following fixes/additions:
1. When I fixed the roundels bug in 1.06.58 I inadvertently turned off the display of the "unknown" raid icons. This has been fixed.
2. Fixed some minor issues with the Allied AI selection of pathfinder lead groups in BTR.
3. Made some improvements to Allied AI raids in "Big Week" scenario.

1.06.59 includes the fixes from unofficial 1.06.58:
1. Radar range rings will display if radar site is selected during Planning Phase.
2. Time over Target (TOT) now displays correctly in both raid planning and raid review.
3. Knickebein navigation shows up now during lead flight selection in the BoB's.
4. Roundels now, finally, display properly. Defender side roundels always had issues displaying all flights properly (if any one cared to notice...)

Current saves should work fine but as always install patches just after the current turn has played out. must be patched over official 1.06.57 or unofficial 1.06.58. We will make this an official install after we have added more substantive content.

If you have any issues or questions you can post them here.

enjoy!
simovitch

MarkShot

Re: 1.06.59 "unofficial" update

Post by MarkShot »

Thank you, Richard!
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

simovitch,

I don't know if you have seen this , or if you or anyone can help.

Anyway my problem is this :-

With version 1.06.57 I can play EDBTR fine , both with and without dxwnd.

However I have just updated the btr.exe with the unofficial version 1.06.59. Now when I play ( either with or without dxwnd) , the plane icons move across the map , but after every move the plane leaves a trail of what looks like numerous plane icons merged together to form a sort of black cape behind the plane. When the plane stops to make its next move over the map the "black cape" catches up wth the plane icon to form a normal icon . then the sequence starts all over again when the plane moves.

Obviously at present I will not be able to update EDBTR from 1.06.57.

I wonder if anyone else has this same problem as myself or can suggest a cure as I am unsure of what to try next to resolve the issue.

DavidR
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

I have seen the mouse trails setting corrected with DXWND, but there are so may I don't remember. :(

One way, you correct this in like DOSBOX is reduce the number of frame buffers to render in advance to 1.
davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

Mark ,

Thanks for your input. As you say there are so many tweaks to dxwnd I don't know which to use to try and solve my graphical problem. I will wait to see if simovitch sees my post and can help in any way.

DavidR
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

DavidR,
I don't think I can help you with this except for saying that I didn't do anything to impact the graphics (that I know of). I'm not a dxwnd expert so I would just be fiddling with what works like the next guy.

Does this happen when you start a new game? What does it look like when you play with Roundels on?
simovitch

davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

simovitch ,

Thanks for replying. I note your comments . I have tried with Roundals "ON" and the result is the same - when a movement occurs there is a trail left behind the icon which takes a moment to catch up with the the leader. This makes watching the action next to impossible. I don't know why 1.06.57 works OK , yet the 2 unofficial updates cause these problems. I will just have to use 1.06.57 for the present and tinker my settings on another copy of the game . I have a laptop as well as the Desktop PC so will try 1.06.59 on the laptop to see if the same problem occurs and will advise.

DavidR
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

I pretty sure 59 worked for me but I am going to look at DXWND. Also, remember your video card also be buffering frames.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

No problems running in a Window on Device #2.

Okay, what looks interesting DXWND?

Video Z order top

DirectX running DX7

Renderer primary surface

Switch video to system on fail

VSync off

Flip/Blt def

Clipper def

Have you killed all Tweaks?

Fake version compat vista

I am doing something no one else is Time Stretching :2 to readable messages.

Sadly, this is the type of thing unless you are graphics API expert; just got to try stuff and see what happens. For me, it is running exactly like earlier versions. Another thing, I also did that most don't do is I set it to 4Gb RAM support.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Since the official versions worked, try setting the compatibility for the btr.exe to Windows 7, and set to 'run as administrator'.

The official Matrix patch will be out sometime in January with more bug fixes and features than the unofficial patches.
simovitch

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

simovitch wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 pm Since the official versions worked, try setting the compatibility for the btr.exe to Windows 7, and set to 'run as administrator'.

The official Matrix patch will be out sometime in January with more bug fixes and features than the unofficial patches.
Thank you, Richard.

How is the C++ coming? I mainly did my tech work in assembly, FORTRAN, and C. I was already in management by the time object programming over took procedural programming. But even the days of cave program, we had what we called abstractions and functional APIs, but languages like JAVA turned this into a standard from just a style.

Here is an interesting ideological essay I wrote with code about that 4 letter word "goto" concerning the open source code I was doing to celebrate 20 years of SC4 and the associated fan site. I decided to create a utility bill board for them rather than another cash donation.

https://community.simtropolis.com/forum ... nt-1771986
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Hi Mark,
Interesting read.

Although I have more or less mastered the programming of the game mechanics for EDBTR, I have not progressed much into graphics and memory management or other high-level stuff. My programming skills from my youth allow me to follow the logic statements and paths to find bugs in the game mechanics and that's it. And until I retire from my day job that's as far as I plan to go. :)
simovitch

davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

simovitch ,

Now this is weird ,

a) I have a PC Desktop with a Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card. The 1.05.57 version runs ok both directly from the game and also through Dxwnd.However if I upgrade to the 1.06.59 version i get the graphical icon glitch ( looks like temporary multiple icons behind the main plane icon until they catch up with the main icon) in both the game exe and through Dxwnd.

b) I also have a MSI laptop with a Nvidia GTX 970M graphics card and have exactly the same results as my PC in that 1.06.57 runs ok but 1.06.59 does not.

So I don't know yet what to do to avoid the graphical glitches . I wonder if anyone else wth a Nvidia graphics card has seen this glitch with the unofficial update?

All my tweaks for Dxwnd are roughly as per Marks tweaks ( default position ) but seem to have no effect with 1.06.59.

I also have an old Sony laptop but do not know what type of graphics card is installed. I will have to dig out the laptop and try EDBTR to see if I can get 1.06.59 to work correctly.

DavidR
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Richard,

If 57 works for him and not 59, and you haven't touched graphics, I would be inclined to say David's issue is on your end.

Meaning the build environment of 57 official (linked SDKs) are different than the 59 beta.

The simple way to test this is to build him a new 57. If the problem persists, then it is something which crept into your build environment.

Please excuse my comments ... I do not mean to be nuisance.

Thanks.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

simovitch wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 pm Since the official versions worked, try setting the compatibility for the btr.exe to Windows 7, and set to 'run as administrator'.
David, can you please let me know the results to this so I can continue to help here?
simovitch

davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

simovitch ,

I have only had the opportunity today to try your suggestion on my MSI laptop . However with BTR.exe set to Win 7 compatability and "run as admnistrator" , unfortunately playing direct from the game and then through Dxwnd I am still seeing the graphical glitch of the plane icon with what seems like multiple plane images compressed into a "black cape" moving after the plane icon and then catching up and merging with the main icon between movement phases.

I have not had time to try the same on my main PC and will advise further on this. I will also see what the results are on my Sony laptop after I load EDBTR onto this computer.

By the way with DXwnd you have to clear the compatability flags to make EDBTR run . I did this and I then got a further info box pop up advising " Error 5 in RegOpenKeyEx Hkey_Local_Machine." EDBTR runs but with the same glitch as using the exe through the main game .

DavidR
davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

simovitch ,

Ran EDBTR version 1.06.59 on my desktop PC with and without using DXwnd.

With compatability set to Win 7 and "run as administrator" set , using the game exe direct from the game file still gave the graphical glitch.

Using DXwnd with the same settings the graphical was still in existence . I had to clear the compatability flag in DXwnd to get EDBTR to run.

So no luck using 1.06.59 as an administrator or as Win 7.

As an aside I note that 1.06.59 byte size is advised as 1,085,440 whereas the 1.06.57 being replaced is larger at 1,096,416 bytes.

Will advise what happens on my Sony laptop in due course.

DavidR
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

OK thanks. I suggest you stick with the official patches and best just to wait for the next official patch due next month sometime.

The new night combat fixes and features will really turn the Bomber Command/Nachtjagd play into a different contest for the axis, but you will need to restart your games to experience it.
simovitch

warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

The new night combat fixes and features will really turn the Bomber Command/Nachtjagd play into a different contest for the axis, but you will need to restart your games to experience it.
You are really going to like this patch, you will view the night bombing campaign in a whole new light, so to speak.

I am playing with it now and it adds a whole new dimension to the dark side. I suggest you really give the Electonic Warfare Guide a good read. It will help.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Thank you very much for your diligence!!!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”