Do divided ground units rebuild faster or perform better?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BananaConvention

Do divided ground units rebuild faster or perform better?

Post by BananaConvention »

I'm playing an opponent who's been splitting up his divisions into the A/B/C parts. I've been told it's to allow them to rebuild/repair/heal faster. Is this true or just a myth? The manual says nothing of this.

Where are the benefits and the downsides of splitting a division that's actively engaged in combat?
Jochen Heiden

My WitP Tutorial Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFaQ ... Q9HG1hSiAG

Join my WitP Discord! Over 630 members and growing DAILY!
https://discord.gg/v4A9STzW7R
RangerJoe

Re: Do divided ground units rebuild faster or perform better?

Post by RangerJoe »

Not much downside and each part can get replacements. They may also dig field fortifications quicker.

The only thing is, while the unit leader usually stays with "A" there may be crappy leaders for the other parts.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Smaller units are AFAIK destroyed more easily.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

btd64

Post by btd64 »

But if you plan on recombining the A/B/C parts,don't upgrade until they are recombined....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BananaConvention

Post by BananaConvention »

Are there any tangible benefits for doing this such as increased rebuild speed? Is there any proof this is a thing?
Jochen Heiden

My WitP Tutorial Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFaQ ... Q9HG1hSiAG

Join my WitP Discord! Over 630 members and growing DAILY!
https://discord.gg/v4A9STzW7R
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

BananaConvention wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:53 pm Are there any tangible benefits for doing this such as increased rebuild speed? Is there any proof this is a thing?
The key part is in RJ's reply: each part can take replacements. When the game engine reaches that step in the process it determines which units or parts thereof are eligible to receive replacements, then goes through the devices in the pools and calculates which can reach the units needing them. It spreads them as evenly as it can (given base sizes and supply lines) and lower database-numbered units get served before higher numbered units. So if there were 20 of a device being distributed and three units eligible, two of the units would get 7 and the highest numbered one would get six.

But if the second unit split itself in three, there would then be five units/partial units to give the device to and each unit or piece of unit gets 4. In total, the split second unit takes 12 while the other two units have only four.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

BananaConvention wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 am I'm playing an opponent who's been splitting up his divisions into the A/B/C parts. I've been told it's to allow them to rebuild/repair/heal faster. Is this true or just a myth? The manual says nothing of this.

Where are the benefits and the downsides of splitting a division that's actively engaged in combat?
Yes, A/B/C regiments heal/replenish considerably faster compared to a whole ID. I tested it, you can look it up here https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6&t=306200
They also build land forts faster and further
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I still want to emphasize bit of caveat.

Don't do that in combat. Smaller the unit is, easier it will get destroyed or surrenders. That can be bit upsetting.

So, dividing unit is for rear area. It can also be very useful with garrison requirements.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”