Phobetor and Matrix Games part ways

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

Phobetor and Matrix Games part ways

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks!

After working on projects with Matrix Games since 2008 this partnership ends as of the 1.1.2021.
Thanks to all the people who helped to create and improve my games during this time.
Also thanks to all the players who chose to buy them and hopfully enjoyed playing them.

Phobetor will now move on and Germany at War will be released in a different context, which will be announced soon.
If you are interested in the further development of that game you can follow it in our forum: http://forum.phobetor.de/board.php?boardid=20 or on our website.
Currently i work on having a bilingual user interface for the forum to make access easier for more people.

I will be visitng the Matrix Forum on a regular bases until the end of 2020, but after that you have to send me a mail or use the Phobetor Forum if you have anything to talk about.

You all have a good time!

All the best,
Zovs

RE: Phobetor and Matrix Games part ways

Post by Zovs »

Sorry to hear Ronald. I tried to register at your site but it said my email is banned. [&:]
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Not quite sure why my email is banned to register, it's a gmail account and I am an American. Maybe that is why.

Never was banned from registering.

Anyway, best of luck to you.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi Zovs,
ORIGINAL: Zovs

Not quite sure why my email is banned to register, it's a gmail account and I am an American. Maybe that is why.

Never was banned from registering.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Thanks for your wishes. We do not ban by nation or anything like that. Usually only addresses that are known for being used for spam.

Would you allow me to test our forum with your email address to learn what caused this ?

This is the first case in 17 years of that forum that i know of anyone could not get registered because of a banned email. But i was not always in charge. Maybe it's a bug in the software or something is ill adjusted.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Yes, please test my email. I have been using my gmail for decades. Never had any issues like this before since well 2000???
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi Zovs,
ORIGINAL: Zovs

Yes, please test my email. I have been using my gmail for decades. Never had any issues like this before since well 2000???

Thanks, i will look into. It may well be a problem on my side. Maybe your email address and the forum formed the perfect storm. [;)]

As a developer its kind of your fate to have these rare situations piled up on your desk. You just have to soldier on.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

the riddle is solved. The whole gmail.com range was banned by a predecessor, but now it's again allowed in our forum.

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

This is just a shift of the Schwerpunkt (the direction of the main attack), not the end of the campaign. The fight goes on.

By the way, my ''old'' machine also runs the Operation Barbarossa and is Afrika Korps mod.

The author of ''Tanks Go Forwards'' remembers a situation when an officer had to solve 4 to 5 problem situations in real time (that Panzergrenadier unit attacking that hill held by the other side) and he made all those decisions.

The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

indeed, that's what it is, shifting the Schwerpunkt.

As to the old Barbarossa, i have no machine to run it on. Once planned a gold version that includes all scenarios, mods and fixes, but never had the time for it.

Memories [:)]
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

It can be run on anything, just the terrain does not show - and it must be possible to migrate the data to Germany at War.

There is a Prague scenario (movement tutorial) and I may have made a map for it, need to look at my files. DMP hosts an Africa mod and maybe I have missed something.
terminator

Post by terminator »

A small Afrikakorps campaign could be interesting [8D]
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: AngrySwan

It can be run on anything, just the terrain does not show - and it must be possible to migrate the data to Germany at War.

There is a Prague scenario (movement tutorial) and I may have made a map for it, need to look at my files. DMP hosts an Africa mod and maybe I have missed something.

It is possible to get the data but its a painstaking process if i remember correctly. Which map is there in Barbarossa that is not in GaW in a better version or not in it at all ?

If you refer to Africa, i would rather have a look into the AG maps. They share the exact xml code with GaW, so they are easier to convert. It brings of course other problems in regard to the landscape pieces with it.
ORIGINAL: terminator

A small Afrikakorps campaign could be interesting [8D]

Why a small one ? [;)]

Once AG maps can be used (if the landscape works) any map or campaign could be adjusted to GaW. If i had more time i would like to add some models and a new texture set (desert similar to winter textures).

Anything like that would take a long time to finish, as i could only do it in my rare spare time.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

As far as I know, only the Prague (movement tutorial) map is missing, and the Africa mod posted on DMP. As real life becomes more predictable I will see how much time I can spend, dividing some free time between playing and mods.

If recoding is too hard, a map can also be redrawn, like DMP Africa maps, or Army General. Panzer General II also has two battalion scale scenarios with the German army (or Afrika Korps in some mods) attacking some poorly fortified positions around Tobruk. Panzer Corps I also has a Libyan scenario for 1941 with very challenging Tobruk which I did not even try to take (nor did Rommel in 1941 as far as I know).

If some elements of terrain are missing they may as well be left out or replaced with something we have. "Only in restrictions is the master [expert] seen."

There will also be need of a forum to post ideas and a new v.1.09 AAR.

Finally, a small request. As we do not have models for Do 17 and Do 217 bombers and maybe never will, and those planes to my eye look somewhat more similar to Ju 88 than He 111, can the image for Do 17 and Do 217 be changed to the one Ju 88 has? Not a big deal but if/when you have time...

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi Angryswan,

it's true - maps can be redrawn from other ones. GaW has this special mode to blend in 2d maps in the background which i use to create the basic structure of a map (cities, coastlines, roads etc).

As for a forum, the Phobetor forum can be molded in any way you like. Just post a new topic in German or English (which ever you prefer, but English speaking players will be more common with GaW) in that forum what you would like to add or change or PM me over there.

We can have an AAR section for GaW or a Mod section or both. I just did not create more sub-forums as i had no use for them so far. So just let me know what you need.

As to new units with dummies, i already included this principle in 1.09 for several units, so we could have some more dummies, in principle this is no problem. We can open a thread in the Phobetor forum with a list of such needed units.

But until the re-release i will not find the time to get to this list. If its there i can get at it as soon as there is time.

Regards,

AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

If you could create an AAR section and a Mods section that would be useful. Then I can start with the AAR as it goes, and post some new maps.

After some time I got back to the Netherlands map, drew the Meuse and a new delta (no more error messages) so now it is time for some units. There is also the Murmansk-Autumn map so when I get my life in order I will focus on these two mods. Also moved Venlo one hex north east so the bridge is next to the the city, not somewhere away.
The cities had names in the German version but not English one - now they have names in both versions.

(relocated to my home country and hoping to move from a freelancer to more like a staff position - maybe - which will mean more predictable work hours and that fantastic opportunity to have a month off while still getting paid for it - but we will see how things go.)

Hopefully our developments and ourselves will get over this not so easy time.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

if its used, i am happy to do a little restructuring of the forum. Currently you cannot add maps (e.g. in a .zip), but the good part is, that i can add functions to the software as soon as there is time. So now you can only show your maps with screenshots but i will program a new feature as soon as my work on the re-release allows it.
And by the way: if you miss any other function in the forum software, let me know. I have already a list of things i'd like it to have. If its doable in an acceptable amount of time it might just happen.

I look forward to your new version of the Netherlands map. You should have most of the equipment to place the Dutch Army on it.

Good luck with your relocation - i hope all turns out as you desire. And as long as life allows it, i will continue to work on my games. Just how much time i can spend varies.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

wish you all the best in life and stay safe Ronald, glad to see your not leaving the gaming world behind and again wish you all the best and success on any and all future projects, thanks for the many happy hours spent gaming on your many games

[&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi zakblood,
ORIGINAL: zakblood

wish you all the best in life and stay safe Ronald, glad to see your not leaving the gaming world behind and again wish you all the best and success on any and all future projects, thanks for the many happy hours spent gaming on your many games

[&o][&o][&o]

thanks for your wishes. It's nice to hear you enjoyed the games. I hope i can add some interesting stuff to them in coming updates. I have a lot of things on my list.

@AngrySwan:

There is now a new category in the Phobetor forum namely "Germany at War" and it has three boards: "After-action reports","Mods and Scenarios" and "General discussion". That should do ?
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

AAR for reports, Mods and Scenarios for maps/mods and General for ideas about development and sharing the doctrines. I will see when I can post something even if it will be not so much every time.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: AngrySwan

I will see when I can post something even if it will be not so much every time.

Looking forward to it. There will also be more posts by me over time. Until now i used this forum and there was not much to talk about else. That will change to a degree.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”