Generals in CoGEE

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Jonah

Generals in CoGEE

Post by Jonah »

Hello

I don't won the game but I've been considering getting it but I have a few questions.

1. How many Generals (on averege) do you have? I've played FoF and I love how you have so many but will there be the same number in this? Or in other words, will I have at least enough generals to command every container (Army, Corps, Division)?

2. What differences are there in this and FoF in detailed combat?

I really know little about this game but so far it sounds great. I'd appreciate any response.

Thanks!
“Duty is ours, Consequences are God’s.”

-Lieutenant General Thomas Jonathan Jackson
Anthropoid

RE: Generals in CoGEE

Post by Anthropoid »

Fewer than in FoF, and it is one of the few shortcomings of the game IMO.

The naval, and diplomacy parts of the game are brilliant.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Joram

Post by Joram »

1.  There are fewer generals due to the fact they are more powerful.  I do not find it detracts from the game to be honest but you can add more if you disagree.

2.  Scale is the main difference though CoG:EE gives you the option of doing a brigade or division sized combat.  No specific weapon variation either like in FoF.  Those are the main ones, if you are familiar with FoF detailed combat then this will feel very similar but suitably different for the time.

Oh, and there's also naval detailed combat which FoF doesn't have.

Hope that helps.
Russian Guard

Post by Russian Guard »

Yes, remember that a Corps commander (2-star) aids every Division in the Corps, and an Army General (3-star) the same with all Divisions in the Army he's assigned to.

As Joram says, this is one of the easiest things to mod in the game, and you can put in every General you'd ever like to see, if desired. I have modded Generals many times since CoG1, and what I _personally_ found was that having a General for every Division was unbalancing (gives larger Armies an even bigger advantage) and minimizes the impact of the great Generals of the period. Of course that's just my personal view.

ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Generals are more powerful in COG:EE, because of the differences in the special-rally rule.  One can mod in more generals, but I would do so judiciously:  in battles with too many generals, units start to act like zombie forces, always coming back from disorder to return to the fight, just because there are so many generals to help rally them.

We did consider changing the rules and adding many more commanders in COG:EE, but a few things dissuaded us:  1) it's much harder to find data on Napoleonic era commanders than Civil War commanders, 2) there are many more scenarios in COG:EE than in FOF, so assignment of command would have been much more work, 3) there don't seem to be as many fans who are interested in the more obscure Napoleonic era commanders as there are fans of the more obscure Civil War era commanders.

ptan54

Post by ptan54 »

In the original COG, if you play an early scenario like 1792, the historical generals that don't appear in that scenario will never appear. For example, if you play 1792 and 1796 you will never get Oudinot, Marmont, Suchet, Macdonald, etc. Has this been resolved in COG EE? Thanks.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah, I didn't realize they worked so much differently than in FoF. Well in that case, I detract my statement that it is a weakness. It was just so cool in FoF to 'organize' your forces, including putting particular Gens together, putting particular Gens with particular units, etc. Shame that it is not really an option for the Nappy era.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: ptan54

In the original COG, if you play an early scenario like 1792, the historical generals that don't appear in that scenario will never appear. For example, if you play 1792 and 1796 you will never get Oudinot, Marmont, Suchet, Macdonald, etc. Has this been resolved in COG EE? Thanks.
Not unless you mod the game to do that. Remember, 1792 is BEFORE Nappy rose to power, so the game assumes that he doesn't. That's the premise of the scenario.

But, it's easy enough to mod the game to do what you want. Once the Modder's Guide comes out, take a look at it. It might help. (Of course, since I wrote it, I can freely admit that it might not help.)
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
ptan54

Post by ptan54 »

Just because I start in 1792 = Napoleon never comes to power? Huh? If Rev France fends off the attacks against it, who's to say that the coup of 1799 could not have happened? Starting before Napoleon came to power => 100% chance Napoleon will never seize power seems incorrect.

What about Catherine the Great to Paul to Alexander?

Re: Modder's guide. Is this a pre-game mod? So before I start up a game I have to mod it? If it works like that, that would also mess things up since Napoleon didn't come to power until 1799. I read about historical events like "Assassination of Paul" - surely we can have a historical event like "Coup of Brumaire"? If the mod can work on saved games, that solves the problem...though events would be a nice touch.
jugasa77

Re: Generals in CoGEE

Post by jugasa77 »

What happens if you attach a 3 star general to a corps?
jugasa77

Post by jugasa77 »

Why is there a limit of 179 generals at COG2Generals.txt?
If you add more than that the general will not appear.
gottagofish

Post by gottagofish »

If you haven't done so already, check out the posts by lucr41 from 2017, he has a number of fixes to work around some of the problems, one affects the status of generals. Also, there is a trick to getting random events to launch, once you have saved a game.

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”