Stalingrad 50 Turn Scenario

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

Howard7x

Stalingrad 50 Turn Scenario

Post by Howard7x »

Stalingrad 50 turn scenario.
PBEM only using a modified sattalite image map.
Created by John Schettler

In mid-September 1942, after driving to the outskirts of Stalingrad the Germans launch their first major assaults to take the city. In the center, the 51st Korps shock group composed of 71, 76, and 295 infantry divisions surged towards Mamayev Kurgan. In the south, the 48th Panzer Korps of Hoth’s 4th Pz Army sent the 29th Motorized, 24th Panzer and 94th Infantry divisions against the suburbs of Yelshanka and Kupersnoye. After promising initial gains by the Germans, Chiukov landed reinforcements in the nick of time, bringing 13th Guards, 92nd Naval Marine Bde and the 95th Rifle division across the Volga to try and halt the German attack. The bitter street fighting that ensued has fascinated historians and researchers ever since. (Not to mention game designers.) And in this expansive battle players will see just how brutal urban warfare can be, with casualties mounting, battalions withering away to company strength, ammunition shortages, and key terrain features changing hands as each side feeds in new units. All the major Victory Point objectives are labeled in red: The Tractor Factory, Barricade Works, Red October Plant, Lazur Chemical Works, Mamayev Kurgan, Red Square, The Grain Elevator, the Rail stations and many others.

Attachments
STA1a.jpg
STA1a.jpg (204.96 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar
Howard7x

RE: Stalingrad 50 Turn Scenario

Post by Howard7x »

Cental Front.

Attachments
STA2a.jpg
STA2a.jpg (230.5 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Howard7x

Post by Howard7x »

Russian Turn 1

Attachments
STA7a.jpg
STA7a.jpg (224.47 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Howard7x

Post by Howard7x »

Russian Northern Sector.

Attachments
STA8a.jpg
STA8a.jpg (192.71 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Howard7x

Post by Howard7x »

The struggle for the city became an obsession for Hitler, and served to eventually consume the bulk of two full German Armies, marking the turning point for the war in Russia. By denying the German Army mobility, and offering a battle of attrition in the sewers, streets and factories, the Russians bought valuable time to build up powerful reserves that would be unleashed in November’s “Operation Uranus.” The resulting battle pocketed over 300,000 troops, shattering the front and sending the Germans into a desperate defensive retreat that was only stabilized by the genius of Eric Von Manstein in the spring of 1943. This was the battle that broke the back of the German Army in southern Russia in 1942. Germany was never able to recover from the disaster of Stalingrad. But can you prevail where the Germans failed?

Attachments
STA9a.jpg
STA9a.jpg (190.78 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Very nice work indeed. Might have to drag BF out of mothballs!
GroggyGrognard1973

Post by GroggyGrognard1973 »

It reminds me of the old wargame from The Gamers called Stalingrad Pocket. From what I've seen of these Stalingrad screenshots, it might be a good excuse to pick up a copy of Battlefront....

Kung Karl

Post by Kung Karl »

Is this the entire stalingrad battle at regimental scale? That must be some huge numbers of counters to move around and for 50 turns! Looks nice though even if it might be to much for me to handle.
Ichili

Post by Ichili »

Great work, Mr Schettler . This post and the images above convinced me to buy BF, just to play your scenario! I am really impressed by the map and the detailed OOB (NKVD armored train? Wow!)
  I hope this tour de force and other battles by you or others (Berlin, perhaps?) renew the fading interest for this game.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Fantastic, great to see the new BF scenarios.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jmlima

Post by jmlima »

Erik,

Now with the more up-to-date Kharkov out, any plans for a sale on Battlefront?
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Wow.  Very impressive work!
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Hi Guys, Im new to the forum. John Schettler mentioned that he would try and get AI set up for Stalingrad. Ive looked for any info on this but can't find any. Could you help me with any updates?
Thanks,
MikeP.
wodin

Post by wodin »

If an AI was made for the Stalingrad battle I'd buy the game at some point.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Someone somewhere for the love of god make an AI for this scenario and I will buy BF..Matrix please sort it...
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I played it by PBEM a few times and thought it a great balanced scenario!

Just when the German player feels he is about to have a victory the Russians make a comreback!
wodin

Post by wodin »

A real shame they ditched this scale. I'd have loved them to have made a series of coy\battalion level wargames,..if one had been a selection of Stalingrad scenarios at around 500m a hex and then added leaders etc etc I'd have been all over it.
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Perhaps SSG could step in and foster this baby? Yeah I know...bad joke.

In any case, Kharkov can apparently also use this scale for scenarios (it was sold as multiscalable. Says so in the manual too). Unfortunately, with the retiscent attitude of the devs, I doubt they will grab this and make it into a Kharkov scenario, in spite of the fact that it would be a winner.

Wodin, you should pester Eric Rutins about this on email. He seems to keep in touch with SSG somehow. They never answer my emails.

Failing that, or at the same time, search through the forums until you find some of the modders that made scenarios for both this and Kharkov (scenarios with an AI) and see if they feel like a challenge. Or, see if there is an AI tutorial out there. After all, the map, OOB, etc is already in place.

If you do find a (comprehensive) AI tutorial for the Battlefront system, let me know and I will have a peek myself.
wodin

Post by wodin »

OK mate..I'm on it.
wodin

Post by wodin »

still no AI for this...Matrix\SSG make an AI give the person who made the map etc some royalty percent and get it up for sale..it WILL sell

Return to “Battlefront”