United Parcel Service *SUCKS*

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

StrategyCat

United Parcel Service *SUCKS*

Post by StrategyCat »

Matrix notified me that my copy of KP shipped on the 12th, last Tuesday, via UPS. Needless to say, I still haven't gotten it, and today is Sunday. I'll be fairly surprised if I get it tomorrow. If this had been shipped with the U.S. Postal Service (Priority), I would have had it on Thursday (note: this would have been *prior* to the blackout).

As for UPS:

* No Saturday delivery - bullshit. (USPS delivers on Saturday)

* They deliver at THEIR convenience, and if I can't be home when THEY come, the package eventually gets sent back. Or, I have the choice of driving 30 miles roundtrip to pick up the package myself at their hub - bullshit. Good thing I live in a city because God help me if I lived in the country. (There are many more Post Offices than UPS hubs, including mine, which is only a three-mile roundtrip for me.)

* Before I can track my package at the UPS website, I first have to register - bullshit. (No registering at the USPS website, just paste in the tracking number and enjoy.)

Matrix, why do you do this to your customers? To my knowledge, the USPS offers all the services UPS offers, including tracking and delivery confirmation. I know, I've used these USPS services for my eBay auctions.
What's more, the USPS will give you *FREE* Priority shipping boxes. Imagine that, something free from the government!
Don't you think you ought to at least give your customers the *option* of using USPS?
I've noticed a few companies appear to be reluctant to use USPS - what's the reason for that? I mean, Hoover is long dead and Cointelpro was stopped decades ago (although who knows who's snooping through the mail nowadays, granted).
:mad: :mad: :mad:
StrategyCat
-Any country that just rolls over and lets its president die like a dog in the street deserves all the Bushes it gets-
Paratrooper

Post by Paratrooper »

You could have purchased KP (and a number of other Matrixgames) from www.chipsbits.com and they will ship it USPS Priority.

I purchased HPS's Panzer Campaigns Normandy 1944 last Tuesday (August 12th) and had it in my hot little hands two (yes 2!) days later (August 14th) via USPS Priority.
ImageOi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa!
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

If you think that's bad, try FedEx.. now I know why they are still a minority...

Took me 2 months just to get 2 tiny parcels from New York to Niagara across the border. Funy how they make a big deal over internet tracking. When I got tired of the holdup, I tracked my parcel, turns out half the tracking logs were missing!! After going from person to person, I finaly got to head management, which told me that according to their LEGIT reccords, the parcels went past me, all the way to Toronto, then for 'unknown' reasons was sent back across the border again. Even though I was the legal owner, they stated they could not tell me anything more, and I would have to wait till my parcels arrived back from where they were sent, and would have to RESEND them AGAIN!

I find it interresting, how they also could not even tell me where the parcels were on route, nor did they have any capability of intercepting them and re-sending them back. Aparently no one even came close to my house, so it's not like they tried to drop them off and I was not home. And no one could give me a **** answere about anything!

That was the first and last time I ever shipped with FedEx. I hate being negative, but I will not resist stating the company is run by a bunch of morons and will never see a penny from me again.

Oh and BTW, ther is one thing I happened to have got from that FedEx without any problems at all: It was a bill for a few extra fees I must now pay..... how about that!?
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
StrategyCat

Post by StrategyCat »

To think that a few years ago people were expressing the opinion that *all* mail should be "privatized"...
Don't people realize how much it would cost to send just a first-class letter with one of these companies? Do these people think they would be able to send such a letter for a mere 37 cents, as it is now with the post office?

Would anyone care to guess how much a first class letter would cost to, say, Alaska? How about $1.25? $1.00 for a postcard...? I think those guesses are in the ballpark.

Now that I think of it, isn't that the way the mail works in some European countries (Germany?), ie, you pay according to where its sent, even if it doesn't leave the country? And that's with government postal service there. In other words, no flat rate.

Also, in my opinion these companies should not be allowed to use words like "United" and "Federal" in their names. I think this gives a considerable number of people the impression that they are government associated agencies. I know I used to think that of UPS, when I was a wee bit younger (teen). I used to think they were the branch of the Postal Service that handles packages. But then, that's part of their game, of course.
StrategyCat
-Any country that just rolls over and lets its president die like a dog in the street deserves all the Bushes it gets-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Hmmm well I get a number of things in the mail routinely. And it comes in a brown truck that I am danged good and certain is a UPS vehicle.

I get dvds lately and often I get books.

Don't get enough games to make much of a definitive statement on the matter.

I do know this, I have had numerous parcels just left on my porch in plain view of the friggin street! Not to impressed with that behaviour I don't mind saying.

But one thing I have always pondered over the worth of, and that is rapid deliver speeds. I mean if I order Korsun from Matrix today I would not care if it took two weeks or a month to get here really. I sure ain't going to pay to have it here within 3 business days.

I am only concerned that when it gets here, it's in one piece.
A month wait, well I ain't going to die from the wait.

I will say this much for the ordinary Canadian Mail service, I have been able to ship my Ultimate Steel Panthers cd to almost every corner of the globe successfully.
But I have only put it in an ordinary cd mailer envelope. And I have only paid about 5 bucks including my cost of cd the cost of postage and the cost of the mailer envelope thus far.

I can't think of a single reason I would ever phone up a specific courier service to specifically deliver an item as humble as a cd (or something the size of an atypical software box). Especially considering the service or lack there of.

And considering the cost, and the inability of the service often to deliver in the time frame that they make you pay for. I mean if it ain't there in 3 days, and you paid for it to be shipped in 3 days, then that to me is breech of contract and they should be held accountable eh.
3 days or give me my package and refund my cost to have it shipped.

But I sympathise with companies that need to know just where the heck the package is right now this second.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
StrategyCat

Post by StrategyCat »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paratrooper
You could have purchased KP (and a number of other Matrixgames) from www.chipsbits.com and they will ship it USPS Priority.

Yes Trooper, I often buy from C&B, if for no other reason than for the free game subscription, which I then trade (the magazine) in for credit at a local book/used software store. ;)

But depending on my mood, I frequently choose to support the developer directly, even if it costs me $10 or so more, that's not that big a deal. (I look at the increased cost as a furher incentive for me to actually learn and play the game, believe it or not, lol)

I know of two currently successful online wargame sellers that ship with the US Postal Service - and that service has been excellent for me. A third company, who appears to be less successfull, ships UPS only. Now obviously the quality of their games is the biggest determining factor in a company's success, but why make it harder for many potential customers to receive the game?

I can only say that, in the future, I will not again purchase directly from Matrix if it means shipping via UPS, it's just way too much of a hassle for a game.
StrategyCat
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Everyone

Let me make this clear and simple... when you use credit cards and you do not ship with tracking abilty (Which USPS does not use) then any claims we automaticly lose. The real enemy here is the Credit Cards companies. I can not tell you how many times they have and still do give us the short end of the stick. UPS makes it mistakes but trust me USPS is far from better. We have used all of them and FedEx has the least lost packages, then UPS and then USPS.

I know this is not going to make anyone happy but we wanted you to understand why and not just to tell you "that is the way it is".

I would like to thank everyone who has ordered from us because it really does make a difference to not just us but our developers as well.

David
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Ive found I like UPS the best and that is from personal and work experience

UPS has the cheapest rates ive found...and ive never lost a package from them....and it almost always gets here before the scedualed day

I strongly dislike FedEx
If you are not present on the date of delivery.....then they will not leave your package at your door

I find USPS to be very expensive and time consuming

Out of all of the services though I have found Airborne express to be most to my liking
They mostly only deliver important documents too large to fax...but they are cheap and very very fast
Too bad they dont deliver other goods
merigo

Post by merigo »

Hello everyone,

Most games I've ordered have shipped UPS and FedEx. I haven't had a problem. I live way out in a very rural area - about 120 miles from a major city.

The tracking systems have always been accurate right up to where its on the truck and out for delivery. FedEx is best for consistency. FedEx hits the neighborhood around noon every workday. When I order 3 day delivery, I've been getting them in two. I did have to sign an authorization for FedEx to leave a package when I'm not home.

UPS has been reliable but you never know what time of day the driver will arrive. He always leaves the package and is usually discrete in where he puts it .

I would rather be home when it comes but even our rural mail carrier leaves the package out in the open. The area has had a problem with mail theft.

I wonder if it is a regional issue where reliable service is dependent on total volume shipped to a particular area.

I've suppose I've been lucky.
StrategyCat

Post by StrategyCat »

Originally posted by David Heath

Let me make this clear and simple... when you use credit cards and you do not ship with tracking abilty (Which USPS does not use) then any claims we automaticly lose.
I don't understand, as I've been using package tracking by USPS for about the last two years in my eBay auctions. I've also received numerous tracked packages via the postal service. The package is left in one of three ways.

* First, if it fits, they put in into my mailbox (the same mailbox in which I receive all my other "normal " mail).

* Next, if it doesn't fit into my mailbox, they put int into one of the larger package mailboxes nearby and put the key to that box into my mailbox.

* Finally, they sometimes leave a note in my mailbox telling me to pick the package up at the post office. This usually happens if the two larger package boxes near my regular mailbox are already being used. If I pick up the package in this way, I have to show a photo i.d..

In all cases, the package is secure, which is more than I can say for several UPS packages over the years, which were left at my doorstep until I noticed them (I don't always go in my front door).

David, I don't understand what you're talking about when you say the Postal Service doesn't use tracking. Can you explain?

A simple visit to the Postal Service's website front page shows a "Track & Confirm" option, here's the URL:

http://www.usps.com/welcome.htm?from=gl ... =0001home2

What am I missing?
StrategyCat
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Dealing with both UPS and FedEx at work, well, we gave UPS the 'finger'. Just all-around less quality, at least our service in the continental US.
Aside from more late, lost & damaged packages with UPS - their customer service and reps who came to visit all acted like they could give a sh*t less. One of their drivers also ran over part of our sprinkler system and caused some damage which they refused to fix. I didn't shed a tear when the president kicked the UPS rep out the door one day. That was hilarious. :D
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

I have had trouble with UPS, but they also were extremely cooperative and helpful trying to solve it. Sort of.

My package was ordered for my home address. Problem was, I worked the regular 8-5 shift, the same time they were making deliveries. What ticked me off was that the delivery guy tried to deliver the package for THREE DAYS before he got the bright idea to leave a note with a phone number to the local distribution center... :rolleyes: Once I got the note, I called and we arranged for the package to be delivered to my office the next morning.

And yeah I was living in a student dorm at the time, so there really was no place for him to drop it off safely. But still...their policy should be to contact the customer the FIRST day...it would have saved him three trips and me three days of extra waiting.
Got StuG?
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm I missed this thought earlier when I posted.

I think part of the problem might actually be the "United" in the UPS name.

I am thinking so as it isn't really one company, but a collage of many using the same name and uniform/vehicle.

You might live near a UPS outfit run by a real jerk. Or you might live near one that is run well.
You might be rural and the operation is not over taxed. Or it might be run in a big city where competition is fierce and you either perform or get replace in a heartbeat.

Am I wrong there?

I think it is safe to say, that UPS/FedEx/Purolator or any other operation working under a one name for all operations involved could be subject to that appraisal equally.

Of course a national service could suffer lousy local conditions too, but there really IS only ONE Canada Post.
If I am speaking to Canada Post, I am speaking to the entire organization in the process.

I am not in love with Canada Post, I only feel they give the cheapest rates. And frankly, when I put something in the mail, my only request is it get there safely and in something like a realistic timeframe (took about two months for a modest package to get to Australia this year between late Dec and early March, although I am used to a cd getting anywhere within a week).
jmkas

Post by jmkas »

Originally posted by Paratrooper

I purchased HPS's Panzer Campaigns Normandy 1944 last Tuesday (August 12th) and had it in my hot little hands two (yes 2!) days later (August 14th) via USPS Priority.

I second Paratrooper - I do all my game purchasing through www.chipsbits.com - never, ever had a problem with them. In fact, I just ordered UV friday afternoon. I come home from work monday and its at my door. USPS Priority says 2-4 days...they mean it. Sorry for your bad luck StrategyCat.
The MSG

Post by The MSG »

Originally posted by Pippin
...then for 'unknown' reasons was sent back across the border again. Even though I was the legal owner, they stated they could not tell me anything more, and I would have to wait till my parcels arrived back from where they were sent, and would have to RESEND them AGAIN!...

I guess some talib at Gitmo got an unexpected package in the mail! :D
"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

In Australia, buying anything through the mail has never bene popular.

Now that we have a internet our mindset has not changed.

Now that we have an internet I now order games and books online.

But I always have them delivered to my office in business hours.

If it is delivered to my home and nobody is there, the delivery man would be at a total loss.
BrubakerII

Post by BrubakerII »

I was really impressed with FedEx delivering to me in little old Adelaide. I swear it took only 4-5 days from origin to me :eek: Funny thing was, when they couldn't deliver (I was at work), I rang the number on the crad and got ... wait for it ... service personell in the states !:eek: :eek: :eek: He was very frendly but wanted $15- USD to deliver to another location (my work) :rolleyes: I decided to have them hide it on my porch ;)

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

I've had good and bad experiences with FedEx, UPS and USPS. *All three* have left packages just sitting on the doorstep, or actually holding the screen-door open. (Most notably of late: USPS deliveries of my Columbia House DVD Club and Military Book Club boxes. UPS gets the "St00pid Prize" for the driver who, in December, *waded through knee-deep snow* to leave the box [with a VCR and boombox inside] on the *back* porch, and neglected to leave any note whatsoever. ["Wade" is the operative word, too. Drifted snow, with no paths whatsoever from front to back, and only from the back to the garbage cans in the alley. Walk to front shovelled nicely. Four neighbours at home during the day. <sigh>] At work USPS is reliably delivering multiple "signature required" Registered Mail items... apparently signed at the distribution center, 'cause the signature cards are gone when *we* get 'em.)

Special note about "Priority Mail"; despite all the pretty ads and such, the USPS *does not* guarantee delivery in three days. The fine print sez it *may* take up to and beyond 14 days. Or forever... they don't guarantee Priority Mail at *all*.

Remember, kids - the postal and parcel services (the big ones in discussion here) are moving *millions* of items at any one time. And the one sure thing that you can depend on is, there ain't *nothing* that's a sure thing.

I've cheered eveyone up, so my work here is done. <heheheh>
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Originally posted by Karnaaj

Remember, kids - the postal and parcel services are moving *millions* of items at any one time.

The real point is that no businesss should ever make a promise that it cannot keep. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the customer.

If they promised 7 days and they regularly delivered in 4 days, customers would go "wow!".
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep bang on there Joe, their claims of being able to get it there yesterday is just plain dumb.

If a person pays them cash for something and they don't get what they paid for, that to me is fraud and should be brutally treated as such

As I see it, it would be false and misleading advertising.

Claiming what they should know is not reliably realistic is like you said, just a good way to make people angry.

Return to “General Discussion”