Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Screen Resolutions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy >> Screen Resolutions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Screen Resolutions - 11/29/2005 6:29:53 AM   
LostInTime

Hi,

I'd like to purchase BiI, but I could not find any info about available screen resolutions or the ability to set custom ones.
I'd like to play it on my laptop with a native LCD resolution of 1400x1050. Does the game support this resolution or would I have to live with the ugly LCD scaling issues ?

Thanks,
Matthias
Post #: 1
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/29/2005 10:37:38 AM   
SlapBone

1280 x 1024 or 1024 X 768 is all that is available, the scaling question would have to be answered by you. I suggest you try this game (or the Normandy one, if France is your thing), the price is pretty good right now.

(in reply to LostInTime)
Post #: 2
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/29/2005 5:46:38 PM   
LostInTime

Thanks for the response. I just noticed that there was a Normandy demo and I tried it. It is very hard to distinguish between the already very small and now also blurred units. I was hoping they might have upgraded the resolution options for BiI.

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 3
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/30/2005 6:08:06 AM   
LostInTime

In case this may help others, I found an option to disable "Display Adapter Scaling" in the video driver settings. Since 1280x1024 is pretty close to 1400x1050 I only lose little screen space on the sides and no more blurry units. Playing the tutorials now...

(in reply to LostInTime)
Post #: 4
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/30/2005 6:37:36 AM   
Krec

my pet peeve of this game is the icons are so darn small.............really need a zoom and not like the alt shift thingy that comes with the game . i mean a real zoom featue ala CS.
tried the demo , took a while to learn the system, a little differnt. cant put my finger on it , but the game feels .........strange somehow. dont get me wrong. its a quality game , just with all the colors and the different system it not my first pick of wargame.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to LostInTime)
Post #: 5
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/30/2005 8:05:43 PM   
LostInTime

What you are saying is exactly what kept me away from the game system for so long. I don't see a reason to have camouflage on the game unit graphics and a cluttered, all too colorful map.

I am now half way through the tutorials and I really like it so far. It has a tremendous amount of features, yet seems reasonably intuitive to use.

It would be nice to have a simplified graphics option, with a similar look like Highway To The Reich:Airborne Assault, which I think strikes the perfect balance between looks, simplicity and clarity of the map and unit icons.

Also, support of all major resolutions is a must for future versions, so 1600x1200 is needed, as well as common wide screen resolutions. It's baffling to me how developers who put so much effort into the game system fail to implement a scalable map.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm looking forward to finishing the tutorial and see some action.

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 6
RE: Screen Resolutions - 11/30/2005 11:13:01 PM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: LostInTime
...I don't see a reason to have camouflage on the game unit graphics........

After the release of Korsun Pocket, the develper considered removing the "camouflage" from the counters.
The developers showed us samples but the players voted against the plain look.

(in reply to LostInTime)
Post #: 7
RE: Screen Resolutions - 12/1/2005 3:43:02 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: LostInTime

What you are saying is exactly what kept me away from the game system for so long. I don't see a reason to have camouflage on the game unit graphics and a cluttered, all too colorful map.

The game is fully adaptive (with a little effort) to whatever type of unit colors you desire. If you edit the us.bmp, germany.bmp, etc... graphics in the scenariopicts.xcr you can make the unit counters be any design desired. This is relatively easy to do.

There are a couple of tricks to making this work correctly... xcr extractor & compiler programs are available on the SSG website if needed. Recommend you post intent to do this (here or on Run5 forums) before trying. Any of the scenario designers can help you get this done smoothly.

quote:

Anyway, so far so good. I'm looking forward to finishing the tutorial and see some action.

Glad you're getting into BII Be sure to try some of the free expansion battles at Run5. The Rommel & Patton Master of Battle games have pretty clean map graphics (IMHO)... and are both highly recommended (of course)

(in reply to LostInTime)
Post #: 8
RE: Screen Resolutions - 12/1/2005 10:26:51 PM   
LostInTime

Thanks for the info JSS. I was wondering about customization but didn't notice recognizable filenames when looking at the game data. Great to know there is an extractor publicly available. I'll look into it and see how much effort it would be to make a modified set.

I finished the tutorial last night and played the first turn of the Ardennes Offensive. It's been a lot of fun for sure so far. I think I spent an hour just for that first turn, it'll probably take an afternoon for a turn of the Italy campaign considering how much bigger the map looks like.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy >> Screen Resolutions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI