Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US and Allied AP/AK Grafix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> US and Allied AP/AK Grafix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US and Allied AP/AK Grafix - 11/15/2005 6:59:13 PM   
JWE

For what it's worth, I put together some graphics of US AP/APAs that Spooky has graciously consented to host. He has posted an original file, but I recently sent a complete version along with a readme. I'm preparing a grafix set for US/Allied AKs that will include a bunch of Brit and Dutch merchies; everything from Doxfords, Alphards, Baltic Hansas, to Empires, Ocean/Park/Forts and fast/large motor vessels. The US portion will have a couple versions of C2s, a C3, EC2, VC2, and USSB 1022, 1025, 1037s. Hopefully they can "drop in" to some of the CHS slots. Allied APs will include the Bloemfontein, the "clipper bow 'fonteins", Kotas, Empresses, assorted P&Cs, and the main Brit/Aussie AMC/Troopers. Feedback would be appreciated (both pos and neg); requests can be accommodated.

JWE
Post #: 1
RE: US and Allied AP/AK Grafix - 11/15/2005 7:33:17 PM   
Don Bowen

Just took a look at what is already up at Spookys (Allied AP/APA) and I think they are great.

I must admit I am not 100% sure about the landing craft on the APAs. At WITP scale they tend to make the entire ship look something like a box...

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to more.

Don

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 2
RE: US and Allied AP/AK Grafix - 11/15/2005 8:29:34 PM   
Bradley7735

I really like some of them. I really liked the top ones. The only ones that seemed weird were the one's with landing craft on them. But, not all. I did like the ones that didn't look boxy. Basically I agree with Don.

I'm looking forward to your AK pics. I think CHS is leaps and bounds above the stock game re ship graphics. But, it's always nice to see new stuff or more diverse pics.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: US and Allied AP/AK Grafix - 11/15/2005 10:02:05 PM   
JWE

Don & Brad,

I take your point . The AKs are almost finished and they include the c2, c3 and vc2. It's easy to just add some davits (w/o the LCs) to the AK versions and put them in as alternatives.

They should go out to Spooky today/tomorrow. Thanks.

JWE

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 4
A Transport Named Grant - 11/17/2005 7:06:40 AM   
Don Bowen

Spurred on by data collected by JWE (thank you, Sir) I’ve done a little research to verify several transports in the CHS OOB. Very confusing! Here’s what I found:

U.S. Grant. Army transport that later became the Navy AP–29. Ex German ship König Wilhelm II, built in 1907 in Stettin, Germany and taken over in World War I. Originally named USS Madawaska until 1921, then renamed U.S. Grant Served as a U.S. Army Transport until 1941, then transferred to the Navy. In the OOB as U.S. Grant.

President Grant (#1). Built in Ireland in 1907 for the Hamburg-Amerika line. Interned in 1914 and taken over upon America’s entry into World War I in 1917. Transferred to the Army in 1919 and renamed Republic in 1920. Alternately used by the USSR, laid up, and as a U.S. Army Transport between the wars. Became US Navy AP-33 in mid-1941. In the OOB as Republic.

President Grant (#2). Built in 1921 and originally named Pine Tree State. Renamed President Grant in 1922 and merchant service until 1936, then laid up. Taken over by the Navy in 1941 and converted to transport Harris, AP-8. In the OOB as Harris.

President Grant (#3). Built in 1921 as President Adams. Sailed for the American President Lines until 1941, when taken over by the Army as President Grant (name change due to replacement President Adams being built). U.S. Army Transport as President Grant but I can find no information on her service. At least, none that I can separate from all the others. Not in the CHS OOB.

There are frequent historical references to "the Grant" or "President Grant". Yeah - but which one?? This OOB stuff is difficult!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 5
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/18/2005 1:57:28 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Spurred on by data collected by JWE (thank you, Sir) I’ve done a little research to verify several transports in the CHS OOB. Very confusing! Here’s what I found:

U.S. Grant. Army transport that later became the Navy AP–29. Ex German ship König Wilhelm II, built in 1907 in Stettin, Germany and taken over in World War I. Originally named USS Madawaska until 1921, then renamed U.S. Grant Served as a U.S. Army Transport until 1941, then transferred to the Navy. In the OOB as U.S. Grant.

President Grant (#1). Built in Ireland in 1907 for the Hamburg-Amerika line. Interned in 1914 and taken over upon America’s entry into World War I in 1917. Transferred to the Army in 1919 and renamed Republic in 1920. Alternately used by the USSR, laid up, and as a U.S. Army Transport between the wars. Became US Navy AP-33 in mid-1941. In the OOB as Republic.

President Grant (#2). Built in 1921 and originally named Pine Tree State. Renamed President Grant in 1922 and merchant service until 1936, then laid up. Taken over by the Navy in 1941 and converted to transport Harris, AP-8. In the OOB as Harris.

President Grant (#3). Built in 1921 as President Adams. Sailed for the American President Lines until 1941, when taken over by the Army as President Grant (name change due to replacement President Adams being built). U.S. Army Transport as President Grant but I can find no information on her service. At least, none that I can separate from all the others. Not in the CHS OOB.

There are frequent historical references to "the Grant" or "President Grant". Yeah - but which one?? This OOB stuff is difficult!

Difficult yes, but oh, so satisfying. There were a bunch of Grants; the 'President Grant', built Harland & Wolff for Hamburg-America, interned and seized during War I (acquired in '31 by USATS and became the Republic, commissioned ap-33 by USN in '41). There was also the 'U.S.Grant', built in Stettin as Koenig Wilhelm, interned and seized during War I as USS Madawaska; renamed USAT Grant in '22 and commissioned U.S.Grant ap-29 in '41.

The American Presidents Liner 'Pres Grant I' (ex 'Pine Tree State') was built in 1921. A 535' Harris class vessel, she was acquired, converted and commissioned as USS Harris ap-8 in August '41.

The American Presidents Liner 'Pres Grant II' started life as the 'Pres Adams I'. Renamed Pres Grant II in '40, she trooped for USAT till lost on 2/44.

See, it ain't hard. There are three boats; the 'President Grant', the 'U.S. Grant' and the 'Harris', all sharing the same big, black cigar.

God I love this stuff.

JWE

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 6
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/18/2005 1:59:59 AM   
JWE

OOOpppsss four boats. I forgot the Republic ap-33.

JWE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 7
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/18/2005 2:16:39 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Looking sweet.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 8
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/19/2005 6:19:23 AM   
JWE

Just gotta sig grafik from rogueusmc, Gotta test it.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 9
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/19/2005 6:23:03 AM   
JWE

testing?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 10
RE: A Transport Named Grant - 11/19/2005 8:31:47 AM   
testarossa

test

Dr. Miller: I should've called the marines!
Dalton: They're few, they're proud... And they ain't here!!!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> US and Allied AP/AK Grafix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI