Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWiF - France

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWiF - France Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 5:11:37 PM   
composer99

I would suggest changing 'Germany controls Paris' to 'Paris is Axis-controlled'.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 271
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 5:41:43 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

What does “US entry is low” mean? (A low chance that the USA will enter the war?)

This is somewhat subjective. There are a number of threads on US Entry here. It involves the axis trying to estimate where the U.S. is on the "It's War" chart. The fewer entry chits the US has, the less likely it can successfully attempt a Declaration of War. Also important are which US Entry Options the U.S. has so far selected in the game.

and
quote:

and

• US entry is low* + 10%
changed to
• The US entry level against the Euro Axis > than 24 and US war number against the Euro Axis < 5 * + 10%

On the “9.4 IT’S WAR CHART” cross-index the US entry level against the Euro Axis with the US tension level against the Euro Axis to find the US war number against the Euro Axis.

Will the actual numbers be "available" to the French AIO? Or will it be limited to the number of chits in each pool, as per RAW?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 272
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 6:38:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

quote:

What does “US entry is low” mean? (A low chance that the USA will enter the war?)

This is somewhat subjective. There are a number of threads on US Entry here. It involves the axis trying to estimate where the U.S. is on the "It's War" chart. The fewer entry chits the US has, the less likely it can successfully attempt a Declaration of War. Also important are which US Entry Options the U.S. has so far selected in the game.

and
quote:

and

• US entry is low* + 10%
changed to
• The US entry level against the Euro Axis > than 24 and US war number against the Euro Axis < 5 * + 10%

On the “9.4 IT’S WAR CHART” cross-index the US entry level against the Euro Axis with the US tension level against the Euro Axis to find the US war number against the Euro Axis.

Will the actual numbers be "available" to the French AIO? Or will it be limited to the number of chits in each pool, as per RAW?

The AIO will be playing an entire side, so all major powers on the Allied side will know the US Entry details.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 273
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 6:56:10 PM   
Red Prince

Oops. Forgot about that.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 274
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 8:27:08 PM   
paulderynck

I'm not sure the US entry is even a consideration. It is unlikely that the difference of point 9 of a chit (i.e. one chit) is going to have a big effect, especially in 1940 when average chit values are smallest.

(point 9 is because the number is 18 - one chit and 80% chance of a second chit - if France is conquered or Vichied, but this is halved for a surrender)

Another problem for later on in the war, regarding the It's War chart, is that there are times when a higher entry level actually reduces the chance of the US making a successful DoW. However once the US has a chance to enter the war, it would be a mistake to surrender France and give up many potential locations for US troops to land without having to invade. So in summary I'd say:
- make an estimate of the US "at war" number for one more entry chit versus two more
- if the "at war" number is zero (i.e. can't happen) then ignore this factor
- if the "at war" number is likely to reduce even 10% or is currently at 5 or more, do not surrender
- if the "at war" number is likely to increase then subtract the difference times 20 percent, FREX if it is projected to go from a 2 to a 3, then the factor is -20%

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 275
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 9:00:21 PM   
composer99

Paul:

quote:

if the "at war" number is likely to increase then subtract the difference times 20 percent, FREX if it is projected to go from a 2 to a 3, then the factor is -20%

Shouldn't a substantial increase in the likelihood of the US entry when it is still below 40% (or so) increase the likelihood of a surrender?

~ Composer99

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 276
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/1/2011 10:37:00 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

After your comments I have modified the Surrender rule for France suggestion, new version.

Surrender rule for France

Precondition:
- Euro Axis controls at least 8 French printed Factories.
- France controls at least one controls colony to use as new home country

Base: 10%.

Modifications:
• For each additional Euro Axis controlled printed French factory + 5 %
• For each French land unit below 10 in Metropolitan France + 5%
• For each French land unit above 10 in Metropolitan France - 5%
• For each French controlled railed factory in Metropolitan France - 3%
• For each CW/US land unit in Metropolitan France - 2%
• For each Euro Axis controlled minor port in Metropolitan France +1%
• For each Euro Axis controlled major port in Metropolitan France +2%
• For each Euro Axis controlled resource in Metropolitan France +1%
• Game turn Nov/Dec + 10 %
• For each Year > 1940 – 5%
• US entry is low* + 10%
• Germany at war with USSR -10%
• Germany at war with USA -10%
• France controls Toulouse -5 %
• France controls Paris -5 %
Axis controls Paris +10 %

* if important US Entry Options has not been able to be chosen due to low US entry OR if its low chance that the USA can declare war due to low US entry.

How about...

quote:

13.7.1 Conquest
Now choose a new home country for the units of the conquered home country. Conquered Commonwealth home countries can pick another Commonwealth home country (e.g. if Britain is conquered, you could pick Canada as the new home country for British units). Other conquered major power home countries (and Commonwealth if you want), can pick any aligned minor home country. Conquered minor countries can pick either any home country of their controlling major power or any home country that the minor country itself controls.

- France controls at least one colony to use as new home country (aligned minor home country not colony).
changed to
- The surrender of France would result in incomplete conquest.

and

• US entry is low* + 10%
changed to

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I'm not sure the US entry is even a consideration. It is unlikely that the difference of point 9 of a chit (i.e. one chit) is going to have a big effect, especially in 1940 when average chit values are smallest.

(point 9 is because the number is 18 - one chit and 80% chance of a second chit - if France is conquered or Vichied, but this is halved for a surrender)

Another problem for later on in the war, regarding the It's War chart, is that there are times when a higher entry level actually reduces the chance of the US making a successful DoW. However once the US has a chance to enter the war, it would be a mistake to surrender France and give up many potential locations for US troops to land without having to invade. So in summary I'd say:
- make an estimate of the US "at war" number for one more entry chit versus two more
- if the "at war" number is zero (i.e. can't happen) then ignore this factor
- if the "at war" number is likely to reduce even 10% or is currently at 5 or more, do not surrender
- if the "at war" number is likely to increase then subtract the difference times 20 percent, FREX if it is projected to go from a 2 to a 3, then the factor is -20%

• Game turn Nov/Dec + 10 %
• For each Year > 1940 – 5%
• Germany at war with USSR -10%
• Germany at war with USA -10%

Should adjust the possibilities of late game French surrender checks.

While the value of the US entry chits id dependent of what the US player draws.

The values of the US tension level against Axis are decided by the number of US entry options the US player chooses.

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFFE_RAW-7.0.pdf ~ 13.3.2 US entry options
The US entry options chart lists political choices available to you. Each option is targeted against Japan (Ja), Germany/Italy (Ge/It), or all three (if neither is specified).

If the entry option is aimed at a particular major power, you must move a marker from its entry pool to its tension pool. If there are no markers in the entry pool, the USA can never declare war on that pool’s major power(s).

If the entry option is not aimed at any particular major power, you must move a randomly chosen marker from an entry pool of your choice to any tension pool.

FYI

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFFE_RAW-7.0.pdf ~ 9.4 US entry
There are modifications to the die roll. All modifiers are cumulative:

When attempting to declare war on Germany and/or Italy;
-2 if the UK has been conquered.

When attempting to declare war on Japan;
-2 if China has been conquered.
-1 if China hasn’t been conquered but a Japanese unit is in China.
+2 if the US fleet is not in Pearl Harbor (see 13.3.2, entry option 26).

When attempting to declare war on any Axis major power;
+3 if you have not yet chosen US entry option 34 - Pass War Appropriations Bill (see 13.3.2).
-1 if the USA is at war with any major power.

The US can’t even attempt (see below) to declare war (see 9.2) on an Axis major power if its entry level against that major power is less than 25.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 9/1/2011 10:47:56 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 277
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 4:03:01 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Paul:

quote:

if the "at war" number is likely to increase then subtract the difference times 20 percent, FREX if it is projected to go from a 2 to a 3, then the factor is -20%

Shouldn't a substantial increase in the likelihood of the US entry when it is still below 40% (or so) increase the likelihood of a surrender?

No, the likelihood of US Entry would almost always be higher if France is conquered because the US would get one more chit. (I doubt the estimated difference between .9 and 1.8 chits would move you two columns on the It's War chart.) So you should always be better off making the axis declare Vichy or go for a conquest.

AAMOF from the axis AI point of view, the closer the US is to being able to declare war, the more probable the axis strategy should be to dispense with France as soon as possible, so that the Wallies need to invade, rather than just land on French controlled hexes.

Paul

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 278
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 7:40:09 AM   
Dr Deo

I've read several posts suggesting saving oil in Syria. Well, is it worth the build point to create the oil marker there (assuming you play with option 14: synth oil plants)? I would have thought every bp counts in the defense of Paris...

Post #: 279
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 1:57:28 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Deo

I've read several posts suggesting saving oil in Syria. Well, is it worth the build point to create the oil marker there (assuming you play with option 14: synth oil plants)? I would have thought every bp counts in the defense of Paris...

( It’s all about the 13.5.1 Oil (AfA option 48) )

While 1 saved oil starts in Metropolitan France (RAW7scenario.pdf). France may want to save oil in Syria to keep their reserve from being over run. It’s up to the French player.

FYI

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiF production Excel worksheet

1939 French Production 5 BP
1940 French Production 7 BP

quote:

ORIGINAL: PionsWiF-AiF-PatiF Excel worksheet

ARM – 6 BP 4 turns
MECH - 6 BP 3 turns
MOT – 3 BP 3 turns
INF – 3 BP 2 turns
GARR – 2 BP 2 turns

Saved oil marker – 1 BP

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFFE_RAW-7.0.pdf ~ 13.3.2 US entry options

34. Pass War Appropriations Bill (requires option 22)
22. Gear up production (requires a tension level of at least 11 against all major powers on the other side)

- Euro Axis controls at least 8 French printed Factories.

Base: 10% (1.25 per factory).

• For each additional Euro Axis controlled printed French factory + 5 %
• For each French controlled railed factory in Metropolitan France - 3%

Why make the value of the original 8 factories less than additional Euro Axis controlled printed factories and railed factories?

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Dr Deo)
Post #: 280
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 2:19:52 PM   
Red Prince

Railed factories cannot be repaired, if I remember correctly, which is (I assume) why they count for less.
-----
Edit: Or is that constructed factories? Now I'm confused. Sorry.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 9/2/2011 2:20:35 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 281
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 6:33:26 PM   
Dr Deo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

quote:

While 1 saved oil starts in Metropolitan France (RAW7scenario.pdf). France may want to save oil in Syria to keep their reserve from being over run. It’s up to the French player.

No, my question relates to option 14, because with that in place it costs 1 build point to create the oil marker in the hex where the oil is saved. I understand why you'd want to save the oil, but I just question whether it's worth the expense of that bp...?

Putting the initial oil in a "safe" place is cheaper than 1 bp, right?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 282
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 6:40:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, my question relates to option 14, because with that in place it costs 1 build point to create the oil marker in the hex where the oil is saved. I understand why you'd want to save the oil, but I just question whether it's worth the expense of that bp...?

The way MWIF handles creating saved oil is that each Saved Oil 'unit' has a number on it, reflecting how much oil is being saved in the hex. When you save one oil point in a hex, the unit is created with a number of 1; so no oil is 'lost'. The program imposes the pertinent limits on how much can be saved in each hex.

The WIF FE rules on this are very confusing, mostly due to using printed counters for saved oil points. In MWIF, saved oil and build point 'units' are virtually identical as far as the creation process is concerned.

Steve

(in reply to Dr Deo)
Post #: 283
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 7:54:29 PM   
Dr Deo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
The way MWIF handles creating saved oil is that each Saved Oil 'unit' has a number on it, reflecting how much oil is being saved in the hex. When you save one oil point in a hex, the unit is created with a number of 1; so no oil is 'lost'. The program imposes the pertinent limits on how much can be saved in each hex.

The WIF FE rules on this are very confusing, mostly due to using printed counters for saved oil points. In MWIF, saved oil and build point 'units' are virtually identical as far as the creation process is concerned.

That sounds to me exactly the way the RAW treats saving oil when using option 31 but not using option 14. By RAW you are allowed to create your own oil markers, so you're not limited by the counters available. However, with option 14 (i.e. playing with synth oil) you have to invest 1 bp whenever you save oil where there's no oil stored already. I guess that symbolises the cost of constructing storage tanks etc.

13.5.1 Option 14:
quote:

Each oil marker you place on the map costs 1 build point.
It is free to increase the value of the marker.

Post #: 284
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 8:38:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

That sounds to me exactly the way the RAW treats saving oil when using option 31 but not using option 14. By RAW you are allowed to create your own oil markers, so you're not limited by the counters available. However, with option 14 (i.e. playing with synth oil) you have to invest 1 bp whenever you save oil where there's no oil stored already. I guess that symbolises the cost of constructing storage tanks etc.

13.5.1 Option 14:
quote:

Each oil marker you place on the map costs 1 build point.
It is free to increase the value of the marker.

Ah, I see. I had never noticed/understood this aspect of the saved oil rule. Thanks (I guess).

This rule is problematical to implement. What it says is that you have to spend a BP, which can only be done during production (unless we are letting the player use a saved BP and save the oil at some other point in the sequence of play). But simultaneously you have to have an oil point shipped to the location where it is to be saved. Looking at the sequence of play for the end of turn, it appears that this would have to occur after Use Oil and Final Reorganization, and also after Search and Seizure:
pPartisan, // RAC 13.1.
pEntry, // RAC 13.2.
pUSEntry, // RAC 13.3.
pProdPlanningPrelim, // RAC 13.6.1 & 13.6.2.
pStayAtSeaA, // RAC 13.4.
pStayAtSeaD, // RAC 13.4.
pReturnToBaseA, // RAC 13.4.
pReturnToBaseD, // RAC 13.4.
pUseOil, // RAC 13.5.1.
pFinalReorganization, // RAC 13.5.
pBreakDown, // RAC 22.4.1.
pProdPlanningFinal, // RAC 13.6.1 & 13.6.2.
pSearchAndSeizure, // RAC 13.6.1.
pScrapDestroyed, // RAC 13.6.9.
pNavalRepair, // RAC 13.6.5.
pProduction, // RAC 13.6.3 -> 13.6.9.

In other words, saving oil should be part of production. But the routing of the oil point to a location would have had to have occurred earlier in the turn. For example, all routing decisions would have had to have been made before search and seizure.

The only way I see being able to impose this BP expenditure rule for new oil point locations would be to require an oil point to have successfully arrived at its intended destination (from previous routing instructions) and then either save the oil point if the player expends a BP, or else simply destroy the oil point (pour it onto the ground) since there is no 'facility' at its destination.

---

I think I am going to leave the code the way it is, ignoring this codicil to the optional saved oil rules when the optional synthetic oil plants rules are also being used. Why the introduction of synthetic oil plants would make a difference to saving oil eludes me at the moment. And writing more code for combinations of optional rules doesn't stimulate any positive feedback in my brain cells.

Steve

(in reply to Dr Deo)
Post #: 285
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 8:49:10 PM   
Dr Deo

That's fine by me. I don't like it very much myself and I'm guessing most players houserule out that part of option 14...

It also has some implications for setup. For example Japan might to decide to split their saved oil at setup between different sites to avoid the expenditure of additional BPs for new markers later when more oil is saved.

Post #: 286
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 9/2/2011 9:34:35 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFFE_RAW-7.0.pdf ~ 13.5.1 Oil (AfA option 48) ~ Page 36

If you are playing with this option, you only automatically turn units face-up during the final reorganisation step if they are not oil dependent. To flip oil dependent units, you must spend oil resources. Oil dependent units are shown on the Unit costs chart (see 28).

You can only use your own oil to flip your units face-up. Even oil controlled by co-operating major powers can’t help. However, communist and nationalist Chinese can use each other’s oil. You do not have to transport the oil anywhere. But you must be able to trace a path from the unit to the oil resource. This path is exactly like a basic supply path (including via overseas) (see 2.4.2) except that it can be of any length.

No more than 5 units can trace a path to the same oil resource. Work out how many oil dependent units you want to flip face-up. Each HQ-I counts as 2 units, each HQ-A counts as 3 and each aircraft that takes 2 turns to build counts as half a unit. Divide the total by 5. This is the minimum number of oil resources (whether from the current turn or saved) that you must spend. This means that you can turn 2 units face-up for nothing (because 0.4 rounds to zero).

If 3 or more units trace a path to the same oil resource, you must spend that resource. This may mean that you will have to spend more oil resources than the minimum number.

Example: You have only 2 oil resources and 6 face-down oil dependent units. You will have to spend a minimum of 1 oil resource to flip them face-up because 6/5 = 1.2, which rounds to 1. You will only have to spend the minimum if 4 or 5 of the units can trace a path to the same resource. But suppose that 3 units can only trace to 1 of the resources and the other 3 can only trace to the second resource. In that case, you would have to spend both resources to f lip all 6 units face-up.

SiF option 9: Each naval unit (CVPiF/SiF option 56: or carrier plane) you turn face-up counts as half a unit and each convoy point counts as a quarter of a unit.

CLiF option 75: Each CA or CL you turn face-up counts as a quarter of a unit.

Saved oil resources (AfA option 31)

You can save oil resources you used neither in production nor to reorganize units. A major power can only save oil if it was transported to a city or port it controls. Put an oil resource marker on that city or port to indicate how many oil resources you are saving there.

You may save only 1 oil marker (of any value) in each city or port (cumulative) you control and double these limits in your major power’s capital (e.g. The Commonwealth can save 16 oil (4 x 4) in London). You can’t save other resources. This is in addition to saved build points (see 13.6.8).

You can use saved oil resources either to reorganise units or as resources for production. Treat them exactly like printed oil resources.

You transport oil like any other resource (see 13.6.1) except that they may be transported to cities and ports that are not factories. Of course, it still has to get to a factory to be used for production. Neutral major powers can only save one oil per turn (in addition to their previously saved oil).

If one of your land units enters a hex containing saved enemy oil resources, they become your oil resources.

Saved oil resources can be destroyed by strategic bombardment (see 11.7).

Option 14: Each oil marker you place on the map costs 1 build point. It is free to increase the value of the marker (up to their maximum value of 4 oil). Please note that this means it is in your interest not to use up that last barrel of oil in a particular hex if there is any other source of supply. Neutral major powers (like all others) may now save any number of oil per turn.

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFFE_RAW-7.0.pdf ~ 13.6.1 Resources

Resources are printed on the map. The total resources in each country are recorded on the factory and resources table.

There are two types of resources - general resources and oil resources. Oil and general resources are the same, except for strategic bombardment (11.7) and the optional oil rule (AfA option 48 ~ see 13.5.1).

It's all about the oil.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 9/2/2011 9:49:11 PM >

(in reply to Dr Deo)
Post #: 287
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/16/2012 3:17:25 PM   
Extraneous

Is this right?

Free-French Chart* (Administration group: Die (% chance to become Free French))
Morocco (Capital: Rabat), Algeria (Capital: Algiers), and Tunisia (Capital: Tunis): 10 (10%)

French West Africa (Capital: Dalar): 9–10 (20%)

Syria (Capital: Damascus): 9–10 (20%)

French Indo-China (Capital: Hanoi): 9–10 (20%)

Madagascar (Capital: Antanarivo): 8–10 (30%)

All Asian map minors & territories: 7–10 (40%)

French Equatorial Africa (Capital: Libreville): 3–10 (50%)

All Pacific map minors & territories: 2–10 (60%)
New Caledonia (territory Pacific map). Are the French Islands near by part of New Caledonia?

All other territories & minors: 9–10 (20%)
Chad (Capital: Fort Lamy)
French Guinea (Capital: Konakri)
French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne)
French Smoliland (Capital: Jibuti)
Gabon (Capital: Libreville)
Ivory Coast (Capital: Bingerville)
Mauretania (Capital: St. Louis)
Middle Congo (Capital: Brazzaville)
Niger Colony (Capital: Niamey)
Senegal, Togo & Dahomey (Capital: Togo)
Ubangi-Sharie (Capital: Bangui)
Upper Volta (Capital: Oungadougou)
French Polynesia (territory South America map)

Are these part of French Polynesia?
Clipperton (territory South America map)
Maarqueasas Islands (territory South America map)

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 288
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/16/2012 3:53:16 PM   
Centuur

French West Africa contains:
Niger, Togo and Dahomey, Upper Volta, Ivory Coast, French Guinea, Senegal, French Sudan, Mauretania (i.e: all French African possessions west of and including Niger);

French Equatorial Africa contains:
Chad, Ubagi Shari, Cameroons, Gabon, Middle Congo.

So it is stated on the African Map of WiF.

New Caledonia is rolled together with the pacific territories. You roll for each administrative group as stated in RAW:

"Roll a die for each of the other administration groups to determine who controls it."

So you get the following nine die rolls:

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia
French West Africa
Syria
Indo-China
Madagascar
All Asian Map minors and territories
French Equatorial Africa
All Pacific map minors and territories
All other minors and territories

The last one contains all other French territories and minors, not mentioned before, meaning all French territories on the east side of the America Map (Carribean, French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne), French Somaliland).

Always, of course, only if the individual country hasn't been conquered by the Axis before Vichy is declared. So, if Tunesia is conquered by Italy, the die roll for Morocco, Algeria and Tunesia determines only the control of Morocco and Algeria, not Tunesia (which remains Italian).

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/16/2012 3:54:46 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 289
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/16/2012 6:31:20 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Is this right?

Morocco (Capital: Rabat), Algeria (Capital: Algiers), and Tunisia (Capital: Tunis): 10 (10%)

French West Africa (Capital: Dalar): 9–10 (20%)

Syria (Capital: Damascus): 9–10 (20%)

French Indo-China (Capital: Hanoi): 9–10 (20%)

Madagascar (Capital: Antanarivo): 8–10 (30%)

All Asian map minors & territories: 7–10 (40%)

French Equatorial Africa (Capital: Libreville): 3–10 (50%)

The die roll is for that last Admin group and it would be 80% not 50%

quote:

All Pacific map minors & territories: 2–10 (60%)

Umm that would be 90%, not 60%...

quote:

New Caledonia (territory Pacific map). Are the French Islands near by part of New Caledonia?

It doesn't matter. The roll is for everything in the Admin group and since New Caledonia is a territory, not a minor country, that little region is conquered and liberated as per the rules for conquering/liberating territories.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 290
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/16/2012 9:06:58 PM   
Extraneous

1) Morocco (Capital: Rabat), Algeria (Capital: Algiers), and Tunisia (Capital: Tunis): 10 (10%)

2) French West Africa: 9–10 (20%)
French Guinea (Capital: Konakri), French Sudan (Capital: Bamako), Ivory Coast (Capital: Bingerville), Niger Colony (Capital: Niamey), Senegal (Capital: Dakar), Togo & Dahomey (Capital: Togo), Upper Volta (Capital: Oungadougou), and Mauretania (Capital: St. Louis)

3) Syria (Capital: Damascus): 9–10 (20%)

4) French Indo-China (Capital: Hanoi): 9–10 (20%)

5) Madagascar (Capital: Antanarivo): 8–10 (30%)

6) All Asian map minors & territories: 7–10 (40%)
None

7) French Equatorial Africa: 3–10 (80%)
Chad (Capital: Fort Lamy), Ubangi-Sharie (Capital: Bangui), Cameroons (Capital: Younde), Gabon (Capital: Libreville), Middle Congo (Capital: Brazzaville).

8) All Pacific map minors & territories: 2–10 (90%)
New Caledonia (territory) and French Pacific islands

9) All other territories & minors: 9–10 (20%)
French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne) (South America map) and all French islands on the Americas map.

French Somaliland (Capital: Jibuti) is on the east side of Africa so shouldn't it be part of the French Equatorial Africa or Asian Map admin group?

Post #: 291
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/16/2012 9:41:07 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

1) Morocco (Capital: Rabat), Algeria (Capital: Algiers), and Tunisia (Capital: Tunis): 10 (10%)

French Guinea (Capital: Konakri), French Sudan (Capital: Bamako), Ivory Coast (Capital: Bingerville), Niger Colony (Capital: Niamey), Senegal (Capital: Dakar), Togo & Dahomey (Capital: Togo), Upper Volta (Capital: Oungadougou), and Mauretania (Capital: St. Louis)

None

Chad (Capital: Fort Lamy), Ubangi-Sharie (Capital: Bangui), Cameroons (Capital: Younde), Gabon (Capital: Libreville), Middle Congo (Capital: Brazzaville).

French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne) (South America map) and all French islands on the Americas map.

French Somaliland (Capital: Jibuti) is on the east side of Africa so shouldn't it be part of the French Equatorial Africa or Asian Map admin group?

The code for this isn't very much:
---
// ****************************************************************************
function VichyGroup(const Country: TGovernedArea): TVichyGroup;
var
  MinC: TMinorCountry;
begin
  MinC := TMinorCountry(Country);

if MinC.ID in Game.MetropolitanVichyFrance then Result := vgVichyFrance
  else if MinC.ID in [Morocco.ID, Algeria.ID, Tunisia.ID] then Result := vgMorocco
  else if MinC.ID = Syria.ID then Result := vgSyria
  else if MinC.ID = FrenchIndoChina.ID then Result := vgIndoChina
  else if MinC.Africa and (Country is TMinorCountry) then
  begin
    if MinC.ID = Madagascar.ID then Result := vgMadagascar
    else if MinC.Capital.X >= 35 then Result := vgEAfrica
    else Result := vgWAfrica;
  end
  else if MinC.Asia then Result := vgAsia
  else if MinC.Pacific then Result := vgPacific
  else Result := vgOther;             // Europe and the Americas.
end;
// ****************************************************************************

This routine handles all countries, including territories. The only place where it needs the country to be a Minor Country is when referencing its capital to separate east and west Africa. Gabon is in hex column 35, so it is considered East Africa. The data fields for Africa, Asia, Pacific, etc. are defined according to the WIF FE maps.

---

Way back in 2005 I created the variable type TGovernedArea in lieu of CWIF's Variable type TCountry. I found TCountry to be too confusing given that there are Major Countries, Minor Countries, and SubCountries - the last being for areas like Eastern Poland.

Steve

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 292
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 2:16:23 AM   
Extraneous

Thank you for the code.

I have looked for readable WiF FE maps on the web and the best I can find is VASSAL.

VASSAL doesn't differentiate the maps nor bother with the WiF scenario setups.

My question remains:

Post #: 293
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 3:28:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Thank you for the code.

I have looked for readable WiF FE maps on the web and the best I can find is VASSAL.

My question remains:

It's a minor country in Africa and its capital is in a high numbered column (far east), so it is in the East Africa group in MWIF.

Steve

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 294
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 8:11:03 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Thank you for the code.

My question remains:

It's a minor country in Africa and its capital is in a high numbered column (far east), so it is in the East Africa group in MWIF.

This is not so for the board game. Because the Admin Groups are marked on the map and French Somaliland is not in any of the other African ones, its fate is determined by the "all others" roll.

Often it has already been conquered by Italy anyway.

Paul

Post #: 295
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 1:28:18 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck
This is not so for the board game. Because the Admin Groups are marked on the map and French Somaliland is not in any of the other African ones, its fate is determined by the "all others" roll.

Often it has already been conquered by Italy anyway.

I saw that on the VASSAL map (and wondered about it).

quote:

None

French Somaliland (Capital: Jibuti) (Africa map), French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne) (South America map), and all French islands on the Americas maps

So there are no minors or territories on the Asian map?

Post #: 296
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 6:18:38 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

Thank you for the code.

My question remains:

Sorry Steve, but according to the FAQ that isn't right...

Q17.2-7 17.2 I am playing with the African map. What
happens to French somaliland if it is still
French controlled when Vichy is declared?
You roll for it on the "All other territories &
minors" row of the Free-French chart (see
WiF 17.2). Date 13/01/2009
17.2: Roll a die for each of the other administration
groups to determine who controls it.
13/01/2009

Peter

Post #: 297
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 7:12:09 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

So there are no minors or territories on the Asian map?

3 hexes - 2 are the Comoros Islands northwest of Madagascar (which are not part of Madagascar even though a Marine could walk there, because they are a marked territory) and Reunion.

It is also remotely possible that France could also have conquered hexes on the Asian map before getting Vichied.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 298
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/17/2012 10:41:14 PM   
Extraneous

Comoros Islands and Reunion Islands

New Caledonia (territory) and all French Pacific islands

French Somaliland (Capital: Jibuti), French Guyana (Capital: Cayenne) (South America map) and all French islands on the Americas map

So the chart looks like this.

Note: Reunion Islands (FR) are east of Madagascar so I added them to the Asian map Administration group.

Post #: 299
RE: AI for MWiF - France - 12/18/2012 4:06:58 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: RAW7scenario.pdf

After you have finished setting-up, you can make naval moves out to sea with your naval units. Treat this as a naval action you conducted last turn, so the units must finish their move, then drop to a lower sea-box section as if they had stayed at sea last turn (see 13.4 Return to base). Neutral major powers can only make these moves with convoy (22.4.19 Convoys in Flames (CoiF option 76): and tanker) points.

After having set up your units can the French TRS (if they have the movement points and range) in 24.4.7 The Global war: Sep/Oct 1939 ~ Jul/Aug 1945: load an INF unit, move 2 sea zones, and enter a port. Or do they have to stay at sea?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWiF - France Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI